COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Ravens,pigeons

You can PM your family on the same continent and of course you could potentially email or what have you another player if you know who they are but will there be something like a mail or letter service system? Can you send a raven or pigeon carrying a message to another settlement or guild or Lord and whatnot?

10/7/2018 1:11:43 PM #1

Family members on the same continent can send private messages to each other. Other than that the mechanics available in CoE will allow the establishment of 'courier' type systems. I am not aware of more recent, specific information atm.

Sources: DJ 5, 12 September 2015 & Souzou in a forum post on 18 December 2015 (both available through the wiki pages FAQ and Delivery Service).

10/7/2018 2:01:27 PM #2

The weard would makegood messengers since the weard can us3 family mechanics with their entire settlement. So have a few weard in key locations and use them as messengers. Much like the maesters in game of thrones.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

10/7/2018 2:42:25 PM #3

Spent all of 10 minutes searching for this, your welcome Source!

Yeah so basically around 48 minutes into the flora and fauna Q&A they addressed carrier pigeons and said at launch they most likely will not be implemented, but they do not want to dismiss it entirely. Also like most other crafts you have access to research in animal taming which can be used to implement new systems, so even if at launch it isn't possible it could theoretically become possible later.

10/7/2018 6:42:46 PM #4

Yeah...same source, jokingly...Carrier Otterbears!!

-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7

10/8/2018 2:53:49 AM #5

Carrier Tits. Like the bird. "Send a Tit" ... Would have to be really small letters, tho. Lol.

10/14/2018 1:15:12 AM #6

While I would honestly love a messenger service of runners who travel delivering mail/messages - I just don't see it happening. Most groups will use out of game communication for anything important.

Unfortunate really since that would open a lot of gameplay scenarios. Intercepted transmissions, finding creative ways to pass sensitive information, a messenger guild, etc...

-Kash

-Kash

10/14/2018 1:15:37 PM #7

Posted By Kashius at 7:15 PM - Sat Oct 13 2018

While I would honestly love a messenger service of runners who travel delivering mail/messages - I just don't see it happening. Most groups will use out of game communication for anything important.

Unfortunate really since that would open a lot of gameplay scenarios. Intercepted transmissions, finding creative ways to pass sensitive information, a messenger guild, etc...

-Kash

The thing is, with the NPC system set up the way it is and the world being heavily dependent on NPC's, you will have to have a messenger service...and most of the time you will want it to be player run to give it some verifiable level of security. And even player to player messages will have a lot of worth if sent in game, as they can be used to verify information with NPC's. Official seals on them, planted information to be stolen...and oh so many more scenarios.

-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7

10/14/2018 1:15:53 PM #8

Yes, thanks again. I agree with kashius it's sad but true. Training birds will probably happen but it'd be a moot point unless dealing with NPCs. It'll be hard to forge certain documents probably cause folks can just make a phone call in the real world and verify what's what no matter how good ur forging skill is too. But still gonna be a fun game. Ugh can't wait lol

10/14/2018 3:21:17 PM #9

Darius - I get where you're coming from but we can't overestimate how complex the AI will be. I can't expect that an AI will be able to do with information what a player would be able to. I also can't expect that a player who receives a communication will not use out of game communication to verify the information if it is new, unexpected, or otherwise.

Nostro brings up the point of forgery - it could in essence be rendered useless because folks will just verify out of game. Or even worse, send communication in game requesting out of game contact!

There is no way to prevent it either unless they have some code in the game that will prevent it from running if you have some type of TS program running in the background. But that would just be ridiculous, especially considering how much Discord and the like have been used consistently throughout the development process.

-Kash

-Kash

10/14/2018 5:37:48 PM #10

Posted By Kashius at 09:21 AM - Sun Oct 14 2018

Darius - I get where you're coming from but we can't overestimate how complex the AI will be. I can't expect that an AI will be able to do with information what a player would be able to. I also can't expect that a player who receives a communication will not use out of game communication to verify the information if it is new, unexpected, or otherwise.

Nostro brings up the point of forgery - it could in essence be rendered useless because folks will just verify out of game. Or even worse, send communication in game requesting out of game contact!

There is no way to prevent it either unless they have some code in the game that will prevent it from running if you have some type of TS program running in the background. But that would just be ridiculous, especially considering how much Discord and the like have been used consistently throughout the development process.

-Kash

NPC Scout: Sir, an army is advancing. You: (Writes out a missive and hands it to the scout) Take that to the pigeon cote and send it to the patrol tower in the field, it tells them to run delaying attack guerrilla action while I notify the Duke and we can gather our armies.

In said scenario, the 20 man patrol isn't led by a player, as most players despise what they consider boring patrol work, but NPC's are more likely to hold those positions. IMO that will be very common and easy for basic AI programming...and impossible to talk to that AI by voip. Sure, I can then talk to my Duke on voip, he can summon the troops in game by in game messages and on voip for those that are lead by players....but the delaying attack actions initiated by me that slows down and saves possibly 1 town, maybe many towns, by starting that NPC patrol was all by in game action. And that is just one of the many many scenarios that are available...not to mention if SBS successfully makes the AI very complex.

Friend Code CD4DE7

10/14/2018 5:45:24 PM #11

Posted By Dariusacmar at 10:37 AM - Sun Oct 14 2018

NPC Scout: Sir, an army is advancing. You: (Writes out a missive and hands it to the scout) Take that to the pigeon cote and send it to the patrol tower in the field, it tells them to run delaying attack guerrilla action while I notify the Duke and we can gather our armies.

In said scenario, the 20 man patrol isn't led by a player, as most players despise what they consider boring patrol work, but NPC's are more likely to hold those positions. IMO that will be very common and easy for basic AI programming...and impossible to talk to that AI by voip. Sure, I can then talk to my Duke on voip, he can summon the troops in game by in game messages and on voip for those that are lead by players....but the delaying attack actions initiated by me that slows down and saves possibly 1 town, maybe many towns, by starting that NPC patrol was all by in game action. And that is just one of the many many scenarios that are available...not to mention if SBS successfully makes the AI very complex.

I like this example. For me carrier pigeons weren't really viable as a means of communication because discord is in fact much more convenient. I would consider them for small packages, but not much else.

The fact that npcs could potentially use it to communicate with players at a distance is a lot more enticing. Sure they could send a runner, but what horse is faster than a bird flying a straight course?

10/14/2018 8:41:22 PM #12

This is kind of what I meant by not overestimating the capability of the AI. Are we really to assume that the AI will be able to take written instructions and act upon them? In your example you instruct the patrol to delay the attacking army using guerilla tactics - this isn't really a simple command.

Communication to NPCs, as far as I understand, will be based off of branching conversation options in dialogue. When it comes to relaying information to them I would imagine it would be based on set scripts that you can activate/deactivate. Now even if that part could be done via a message, I don't think you'd have as much freedom as you seem to be assuming.

I could be, and hope I am, incorrect. But with all the information I have to this point I can't really see how the functionality would prove useful in game.

-Kash

-Kash

10/14/2018 8:44:21 PM #13

I plan on running a freight, passenger, and courier business where handling messages and mail will be part of my business model, and I have several people interested in being runners for me.

If carrier birds become a thing, I would likely branch into that as well.

Click banner to learn more. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

10/15/2018 12:05:39 AM #14

Posted By Kestrea at 9:53 PM - Sun Oct 07 2018

Carrier Tits. Like the bird. "Send a Tit" ... Would have to be really small letters, tho. Lol.

That´s why you need big .... nvm

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

10/15/2018 1:30:13 AM #15

Posted By Kashius at 2:41 PM - Sun Oct 14 2018

This is kind of what I meant by not overestimating the capability of the AI. Are we really to assume that the AI will be able to take written instructions and act upon them? In your example you instruct the patrol to delay the attacking army using guerilla tactics - this isn't really a simple command.

Communication to NPCs, as far as I understand, will be based off of branching conversation options in dialogue. When it comes to relaying information to them I would imagine it would be based on set scripts that you can activate/deactivate. Now even if that part could be done via a message, I don't think you'd have as much freedom as you seem to be assuming.

I could be, and hope I am, incorrect. But with all the information I have to this point I can't really see how the functionality would prove useful in game.

-Kash

Since virtually every game that has basic AI interaction has a breakdown and implementation of orders...yes, I do think it will be that simple. It's not hard to have a soldier NPC have an order to patrol and have a selected style of combat ordered upon engagement. That's basic AI and has been around for a decade or more. I really do think they'll have more than that.

Friend Code CD4DE7