COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Barony Size

I am wondering how much land I will be responsible for beyond my 9 parcels. Will Barons/Mayors be in "control" of the land around their settlement? Obviously its County land...or is it? We know Counts-Kings are in control of more land beyond their parcels but is this true for Mayors/Barons?

10/9/2018 8:15:30 PM #1

I guess it depend what you mean by responsible, the land isn't your if it's not within your parcel, it's the counts. But as a Baron you are suppose to help protect the county, so if something goes down anywhere you should try to assist. You shouldn't be building things outside of your parcel if that's what you're getting at.

10/9/2018 8:22:31 PM #2

Im trying to get at borders? I guess 9 parcels for my purposes wont be ALL settlement, I actually want to start form a Hamlet lol But the land between two Baronies on an international border is what im thinking of, would it be the Count who says you are responsible for this area and you are responsible for that area...or the Duke? So the land beyond my parcels yet under my responsibility...is that mine in a sense? I wonder if I could buy it from my Count...I still think that some rank between Mayor and Count should be able to manage a few settlments. In that regard I could force another mayor/Baron to sign a contract which makes me their boss and they pay me x amount of monies and their soldiers fight for me. hmmmm

10/9/2018 8:33:18 PM #3

Source

First, there is a slight difference between mayor and baron, mayors take care of cities for the count, barons take care of security in surrounding lands for the count. Managing the lands in particular is the counts duties, he works with mayors and barons to do this

10/9/2018 8:36:16 PM #4

Well technically to be a Baron you are receiving resources from the Count to essentially police the County. The exact terms are likely going to be up to the Count (So probably yeah it'll be more of a "you protect this area, and that other Baron takes that area"). However, it's NOT yours. You get compensation (and prestige) in exchange for military defense of the area. As to coercing other settlements within your County, while that's technically possible it does kinda look like your are trying to cease some of your Counts power so that might not go over well.

10/9/2018 8:37:56 PM #5

You would work out with your count on exactly what your job would be in the county.

In terms of mechanics, CoE would consider you stealing land if you build outside your 9 parcels. You would need more parcels for you want to build more.

10/9/2018 8:47:40 PM #6

I think part of being a baron, rather than a mayor, is taking on the responsibility of defending your region. Sending soldiers on patrol around your county roads, coming to the aid of nearby towns, etc. These activities is what a Duke/Duchess is funding.

Even as a mayor my hope is for my guards to have a sphere of influence both in and around my town. While they won't walk the full length, I will want patrols making their presence known on the main roads.

As for buying more land around your barony, if it's for sale I can't see a count/duke having an issue with you establishing further holdings.

10/9/2018 9:15:22 PM #7

The job of a baron isnt the question lol

Its simply the land beyond the parcels in a package because Barons will be responsible for more then the 9 parcels they start with

10/9/2018 9:22:19 PM #8

Laydown Source

Alright here is the breakdown in short, look at the dev journal sourced for more thorough info. King is over Duke is over Count is over Mayor. Barons contract to dukes to recieve funds and maintain a standing militia. Appointed Sheriffs police up counties.

A baron's responsibilities are much like a mayor, to his settlement (be it fort, castle, what have you) but they also maintain certain defensive structures and personnel for the duke instead of paying taxes to the count.

Edited because fact checked myself. Shout out to Malais for droppin knowledge

10/9/2018 9:31:54 PM #9

First a baron answers to the local Duke, not the count.

Mayors answer to the local Count.

Second mayors and barons are not the same thing so there are two answers to the OP.

First the baron is responsible for protecting whatever the duke tells them they are. A section of the border, a specific region, or protection of the entire county. All based on the contract signed with the duke.

A mayor runs a town just like in the United States. Everything within the town city limits is controlled and policed by the mayor. Be that 9 parcels or 30 parcels. The land outside of the incorporated town limits falls to the county to maintain and police.

Now that said I doubt a mayor would stop their militia from hunting down a criminal just because they stepped over the city limits line. Wouldn’t be in their best interest to do so. So I see it as a give and take with the count. If a mayor honks off their count they likely won’t see any more land sold to anyone who would incorporate it into the town, nor would county resources be spent on roads and such leading to the town.

10/9/2018 10:00:21 PM #10

Ok lets stop right now to spread false informations.

A baron is first and foremost a mayor like any other mayor, it is the vassal of the count it is a mayor of and only and strictly that count and no one else.

Now, to be a baron, a mayor has to sign a contract with the duke of the count which it is a vassal of. That contract grant fundings to the mayor in exchange for military activities, including building and maintaining military structure, training, equiping and maintaining troops or any other duty the duke and the baron agree to in the contract, but, that contract does not change a single bit the relation between the baron and its sole and only lord, the count.

To go back to the OP's question.

First as a mayor, remember you have to be a mayor first in order to maybe become a baron, you will select a settlement, your "domain", i put domain in between quotes because as an aristocrat you do not have a domain, you only manage a settlement, so your "domain" extends only to the limits of your settlement.

But that settlement size only depends on the size of the settlement you select at domain selection and the work you put into it to develop it.

But again make no mistake, your mayoral power stops at the limit of your settlement, but then across the whole county starts your obligations toward the duke as stated in the contract you signed with it, which might include patrols, guard of key points, infrastructures or resources, work with the sheriff to maintain order, all or some or none of those.

Contrary to a wide spread misconception it is not in the duty of the baron to maintain law and order, that's the job of the sheriff. barons have the power to judge high crimes but they are not in charge of "police work", they are mayors with extra military duties.

10/9/2018 10:43:54 PM #11

@Markof

Before we start throwing out items discussed in discord which Caspian himself has said are not official the actual comparison from Source is...

Mayors vs. Barons

Hamlets, Villages, Towns, etc. each have a military counterpart. These military counterparts work much the same, except they are defensive structures, typically smaller, and are paid for by the Dukes, rather than requiring payment in the form of taxes to the Count. These are currently referred to as Outposts, Forts, Keeps, Strongholds, and Castles.

The relevant part is bolded.

I do agree all barons start out as mayors but as barons sign a contract with a duke and are paid BY the duke in reality it is the duke who calls the shots for barons as it is the duke who taxes the counts under their control and uses that tax money to pay the barons. The land controlled by the baron falls under the laws of the count but it is this duel loyalty that will likely cause conflict which I assume is the point.

sheriffs will have the ability to go out and track people, in addition to handing out bounty tokens for people who break the law.[3]

Source

A sheriff is the one who does the leg work but as a baron has the military forces under his command most LIKELY the baron (or count who is likely to have their own army) will be the one who is also a sheriff. A sheriff won’t be required to be a baron but 1 lone guy versus a small army? No question anyone who wants to be a sheriff will need backup of some form especially when faced with a small deviant band of bandits and such.

Now as I read it being a sheriff is open to anyone who is appointed to the job. But again the baron who controls the areas military will likely need to be envolved in policing activities unless a town is large enough to have dozens of guards themselves. A baron will likely be envolved in policing the far flung areas of counties as well since they would likely be the only one besides the count with the resources to do so.

10/9/2018 11:17:53 PM #12

Posted By Malais at 11:43 PM - Tue Oct 09 2018

paid for by the Dukes, rather than requiring payment in the form of taxes to the Count. These are currently referred to as Outposts, Forts, Keeps, Strongholds, and Castles.*

That's all well and good but before a Mayor becomes a Baron they have a settlement just like every other Mayor meaning a large population of NPC's all with homes and businesses and daily lives. Do all those citizens suddenly stop paying taxes and get a full on 100% tax break? doesn't make logical sense for the Mayor newly turned baron to suddenly stop collecting the taxes of the city dwellers like the local breadmaker.

10/9/2018 11:37:47 PM #13

Posted By SoulSpark at 6:17 PM - Tue Oct 09 2018

Posted By Malais at 11:43 PM - Tue Oct 09 2018

paid for by the Dukes, rather than requiring payment in the form of taxes to the Count. These are currently referred to as Outposts, Forts, Keeps, Strongholds, and Castles.*

That's all well and good but before a Mayor becomes a Baron they have a settlement just like every other Mayor meaning a large population of NPC's all with homes and businesses and daily lives. Do all those citizens suddenly stop paying taxes and get a full on 100% tax break? doesn't make logical sense for the Mayor newly turned baron to suddenly stop collecting the taxes of the city dwellers like the local Breakmaker.

To be honest there is a LOT about the way becoming a baron is currently explained that makes no sense. Your comment along with what if a mayor picks a city on the border where there is a strategic river crossing the Duke says we need to make you a baron to better protect that crossing and the entire duchy. But said mayor doesn’t like PvP and declines the offer. How does the duchy protect the border without a compliant mayor/baron?

What happens to the city of the above mayor decides to become a baron when the duke asks? The rank and level of a barony is based on the presence of military buildings not the civil ones. So would the city be a rank 4 town but a rank 1 barony?

Basically until the intricacies are explained and we know how it works all we can do is speculate based on known info.

However what I would like to see is shortly after domain selection everyone who had a domain gets together and SBS lets us decide at that point who is a baron and who is a mayor and which town becomes a barony of equal level. Giving dukes the ability to limit the number of barons they believe their lands can support. And giving barons actual military towns to rule instead of starting as mayors and having to convert.

What I actually expect is towns and baronies will be placed by world building and we will have to pick based on what is available at the time. Those picking a military town automatically become a baron.

10/9/2018 11:48:09 PM #14

http://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/6549/DJ-18-Kingdom--Land-Management

I cannot find a source that states Barons must start as Mayors. Barons are essentially the military equivalent and counterpart to Mayors/Magistrates and the requirements for upgrading them from keeps to strongholds to castles are different.

Hamlets, Villages, Towns, etc. each have a military counterpart. These military counterparts work much the same, except they are defensive structures, typically smaller, and are paid for by the Dukes, rather than requiring payment in the form of taxes to the Count. These are currently referred to as Outposts, Forts, Keeps, Strongholds, and Castles.

Like their civilian counterparts, they require the introduction of different buildings such as Lookouts, Barracks, Ramparts, etc. The leaders of Keeps, Strongholds, and Castles are, as you might have guessed, Barons instead of Mayors/Magistrates. Beyond that, the functions of the military structures are much the same as their counterparts.

10/10/2018 10:22:03 AM #15

Posted By Labbe at 12:48 AM - Wed Oct 10 2018

http://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/6549/DJ-18-Kingdom--Land-Management

I cannot find a source that states Barons must start as Mayors. Barons are essentially the military equivalent and counterpart to Mayors/Magistrates and the requirements for upgrading them from keeps to strongholds to castles are different.

That's somewhat outdated.

Current information is that barons are mayors that have entered into a defensive contract with their duke.

As to the OP your jurisdiction/area of control/zone of influence depends on your contract with your duke (I intend to give my barons areas of patrol) your relationship with your count, your popularity with the people, who owes you a favour at court, and what you can get away with.

Coming Soon(tm)