COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Chronicles of Elyria Lore

I was wondering if I could find someone who can make a Chronicles of Elyria Lore/History guide for dummies. I have been wanting to read the lore of Elyria but I have trouble focusing and can't seem to figure out the order of events.

10/11/2018 3:58:56 AM #1

This is great because I've been wanting more lore as well. There are some characters of lore, religious folklore and stories, but nothing concrete (as of yet). I believe the Devs will work with the community to form the 500 years of history prior to launch (which is the year 817 if I remember correctly).

Either way, the Wiki would be a good start if you haven't already checked it out. There isn't so much a timeline (or a complete one) as of yet.

10/11/2018 4:44:15 AM #2

Thanks Xantos. That is correct afaik. A history timeline will indeed be a useful addition to the wiki. We could start filling that in with what we know already and then expand upon it. I'll put it on my to-do list anyway.

Do note that there is a Lore page on this website. In principle that should be 'fit for dummies' already, as it's the primary starting page for Elyria lore. ;)

10/11/2018 6:55:57 PM #3

Just passing... all I can offer is to have a quick look at the historic section of our Skyfall:Archives: Almanach.

You'll find the Searing Plague events with its 16 steps in details, which happened from 229 to 232 and the Free Kingdom campaign started in 696 after the fall of Xeilias (by the way, the original promotional page is still up for reading in all its glory and it is gorgeous).

If you still want more, lore in general, head back to our Skyfall:Archives: Newslinger and add a filter "where Focus has any of Story" in the view. Don't worry it is pretty straightforward to use, and explained in-situ.

It will list almost all published info I/we know of about lore stories (from the Qindred folklore shared by Instagram to the latest blog about the Festival of Passage, even the rather hidden profile of Anara Starsong).

Have a good read, yet there's more, though still a work in progress, I would also highly recommend to check our Skyfall:Academy: Kiosque as well, for player lore and creative works, amazing stuff made by the community.

Best regards, Leonim.

[EU/EN/FR] An enlightened mind, a wandering soul (or vice versa) : mayor of the fair city of Aurora Beach, civil engineer by design, inscriber wanabee, outfit maker enthousiast... and editor at the Skyfall:Archives.

"May the land be fair to you." (Friend Code : 48FDFB)

10/11/2018 7:10:36 PM #4

Thanks Leonim!

I can't help wondering why put so much effort in another dedicated, fancy platform that seems to collect all info Elyria, while there is this website, the forum and the wiki that should hold that same info already?

10/11/2018 9:37:06 PM #5

Posted By AlteOgre at 9:10 PM - Thu Oct 11 2018

Thanks Leonim!

I can't help wondering why put so much effort in another dedicated, fancy platform that seems to collect all info Elyria, while there is this website, the forum and the wiki that should hold that same info already?

TL:DR: You're welcome and because I had the opportunity... as this will serve many selfish purposes in my next years playing the game, you could call that an act of faith/trust.

Edit on the next morning: We don't "collect" contents, we reference them with a small excerpt and a link to the original source, so that if you want to "read more", you always return to the original. Destination is the same, but we make the journey way easier and more pleasant (or fancy in your own wording), at least we think so, best to see the Skyfall:Archives: as a touring guide.

It is something we plan to do in-game as well, and honestly right now, I get plenty benefits from it and the town will continue to do so in the next development phases:

• stop losing time searching content and start reading it,
  • avoiding too much avoidable mistakes during exposition,
  • providing a framework to ease translation of the gameplay features
  • supporting multi-lingual communities like the one I have in mind for Aurora&Ombrelune,
  • gathering interested people around a sound project,
  • ... more stuff than I have time or assurance to share.

The only drawback is that it postponed my twin-city project, yet at the same time those archives are one of its fundations.

Player guide on the website

Official stuff... good that there are sections trying to present the game so early (though necessary when you are crowd-funded).

Except it is vastly outdated, never updated with informations from the live Q&As or relevant blog, news entries or design journals... leading to a lot of confusion and honest mistakes.

I don't intend to replace any of it, except maybe for a long-term goal to provide a translated and updated equivalent in at least my native language... and to be lazy and efficient about it, I need a reliable source that can cope with the upcoming changes with close to no effort. (checked)

Wiki

I agree the official wikis (plural) are a great place for knowledge, but again they require a lot of workforce and time to be done right... both I don't have.

And they are inconvenient in many ways to someone like myself, spelling mistakes are easy to slip in, among other side effects from not being a native speaker; meanwhile I, and the future team, can update once the database and it get propagated on the related pages for the whole frontend archives.

Forum... and the needle in the haystack

As for this forum... a behemoth indeed: did you try using the search feature? on the website? looking for news not so fresh anymore? blog entries?

Don't get me started on those heretic people who post something that would belittle phonebooks, disguised as harmless forum posts! (Yeah mirror, you know I'm looking at you.)

:Joke: Even sticky posts have to be un-stickied from time to time (or not even get the stamp to begin with) because there would be too many per category, and we wouldn't see the rest. ;)

I won't add more mayhem with potential sticky-material of my own, moreover some of the moderators and ambassadors do an excellent job so far (I won't give names but I have my favorites, everybody does).

Follow the Discord

Challenge of the day, ask a quick question to a newly arrived: what or where is the official discord server? You know, that thing that is almost DNA-like to the game development and the way for the devs to stay (relatively) anchored.

Not in the footnotes below or the contact section, maybe in one of the stickies, somewhere... can search for it but won't find it... being probably the most used term on the forums, it is a good example of what's wrong with it.

Thankfully the Discord invite can be found in the mailings and everyone else can tell you about it (search engine as well). It is like the whole world knows except the official site and the newborns.

:Hint: it is pretty straightforward, but don't get me wrong the official twitter has to be mispelled to be correct, so you can't be sure.

What I hope is for SbS to make the next version of their website/forum/helpdesk/manual less sexy and more handy. And keep it a secret, but I honestly think they will outdone themselves once more and manage both... probably because I'm a realistic and relatively knowledgeable fan.

If unsure, take a look at the latest Prelyria client or at how any of their concept art became a faithful in-game model.

Skyfall:Archives:

So I made a fan-site, one that use somewhat next-gen technologies to shape the tool I wanted for my future community: "rather than saying that I will do stuff for them, better show what I did already"... we're on the internet after all and i'm an happy nobody.

Or else, how would anyone trust me out of the blue if/when I say we could do way more great things together? Especially when tonight is an all-time online presence record on this very forums as I'm posting twice in a row. :p

The Skyfall:Archives: will have their one-month anniversary in a few days and they are in a good place right now. I have a bit of a backlog on tagging old articles since the start but apart from that, nothing got neglected and stuff I fancy is added when I have time, like elyrian musical instruments soon for instance.

The site is responsive (for tactile and small terminals), ad-free, tracker-free, counter-free and without gluten as far as I know. ^^

It is also free-hosted, though I drool a bit on the available paid features on both underlying systems, I circumvened most of the non-cosmetic needs with a bit extra work and cunning. (oooh self-praise!)

More seriously, there's a real dilemna about investing into a fansite's infrastructures when you have a pledged domain, as it is that much less to be invested in Exposition Points... and the bills would be monthly... to the point were I could be duchy-level by launch time.

I'll stick to free plans for now and avoid nobility like plague: no offense folks... we need you... sorta. :p Just not my taste of gameplay.

Editorial freedom

Now that I have the official dev content pegged down (more or less, still lack some Q&A transcripts), I can reach to the community content... and discover it myself, something I couldn't manage on the forums or wiki.

My little token of appreciation is to at least put a link on the kiosque to direct other passerbys towards them. Just lke any other fansites, it is collaborative, not competitive, to the official forums and wikis. But seriously dear devs, do something about the search feature! :)

Plus, on an unaligned fansite, I can be partial when I want to, though it is quite rare, I consider the priviledge as a bonus reward from my work. In comparison, when doing some wiki collaboration, being neutral at all time is a requirement... not a biggy, but not my natural way of writing either.

And if I'm not comfortable writing/sharing... I simply don't, for better or worse: I assume and forewarn beforehand, so no surprise and less drama, which is very fine to me.

Comfortable environments

Something I dread soonish for example, is when it will be my time to beta-test since the bug report section is... hmm... you know... minimalist... yeah managed to stay politically correct. ^^

SbS (or someone, anyone?) will have to do something about that support and bug reports section... and soon (like two years ago!), definitely before there's too many people, as it is not sanitary as such, especially for a software development company... though common in consequences... if you take a look at the history of MMORPG launchs.

The Wright brothers did it better. :)

Long post as always, I wonder who can stomach those... I promise my cooking is more digest, though you'll have to trust me blindly on that one. ;)

Best regards, Leonim.

[EU/EN/FR] An enlightened mind, a wandering soul (or vice versa) : mayor of the fair city of Aurora Beach, civil engineer by design, inscriber wanabee, outfit maker enthousiast... and editor at the Skyfall:Archives.

"May the land be fair to you." (Friend Code : 48FDFB)

10/17/2018 5:06:58 PM #6

I'm currently working on something but it's hard to find everything because it's so widespread lol

Elyrian Timeline

10/17/2018 6:42:55 PM #7

Not sure where this originated, but it is a link stickied in the Kingdom of Ashland discord. Good for a quick, yet in depth coverall for a lot of lore without the hassle of bouncing around, or reading through any stories if you just want straight canon facts.

Google Doc, CoE Lore Compilation

10/17/2018 7:01:27 PM #8

Posted By Labbe at 7:42 PM - Wed Oct 17 2018

Not sure where this originated, but it is a link stickied in the Kingdom of Ashland discord. Good for a quick, yet in depth coverall for a lot of lore without the hassle of bouncing around, or reading through any stories if you just want straight canon facts.

Looks like a nice collection of lore but totally inaccurate timeline wise. They've got the split of the proto Neran before the great burning and breaking. The Burning and breaking took place in the first age and the Proto Neran split was in the second age. If they can go over it and put it in order it'll be a nice resource.

10/17/2018 8:04:20 PM #9

Posted By Stormbreaker at 12:01 PM - Wed Oct 17 2018

Posted By Labbe at 7:42 PM - Wed Oct 17 2018

Looks like a nice collection of lore but totally inaccurate timeline wise. They've got the split of the proto Neran before the great burning and breaking. The Burning and breaking took place in the first age and the Proto Neran split was in the second age. If they can go over it and put it in order it'll be a nice resource.

Might read a little easier if it was all in order, almost biblical even. But then that would take away from your fantastic "Elyrian Timeline" Banner, lol.

Just wish I know the original source so I could credit them for compiling.