COMMUNITY - FORUMS - ANGELICA GENERAL
Map voting analysis from multiple perspectives

Directory of the Analyses

EXPLORATION

I have come up with 3 criteria to evaluate the maps:

1) Accessibility to harsh extreme biomes (e.g. desert, Taiga, swamp and rainforests);
2) The size of these extreme biomes;
3) Coastline / bays implying readiness for exploration by sea in the future.

Why these 3 criterias :

1) One of the tasks of the Soulborn engine is to populate the world with interesting content. It will track hot spot of players activities, and in places where there are not much activities, it will add rewards / point of interest for us. Extreme biomes are naturally less active, and they invite the engine to do some work on them. Accessibility to these biomes determine amount of characters' activities in these places. The less accessible these biomes are, the less hot spot it will have, meaning the greater the rewards would be for us adventurers.

2) Following the above logic, larger extreme biomes equals more uncharted areas. This means more opportunities to search for treasures.

3) Moving on, a lot of explorers hope to be the first to discover a new continent. Therefore, settlements focusing on ships-building are all over the forum. Length of coastlines, and their biome definitely have a huge impact on number of settlements available for ship-building, while also serve as potential places for building new settlements. Bays should provide us calmer waters which encourage ship buildings.

Since we have only completed the 1st criterion for exploration, we will update the rest by the time we finished. Economic and military analysis will come later too.

1) Accessibility to harsh extreme biomes : Before analysising the 20 maps, we have to decide which of the 17 biomes are hard to survive / access for the MAJORITY of the tribes. This sounds like inviting troubles, so I am just going to classfying them into 3 broad groups: Extreme > Diffcult > moderate.

Extreme biomes:

Taiga, Semi-Arid Desert, Bog, Swamp and Tropical Rainforest;

Diffcult biomes:

Alpine Forest, Rocky Mountain Steppe, Marsh, Salt Marsh, Tropical Wetland;

Moderate :

Lower Montane, Broad Leaf Forest, Mixed Leaf Forest, Shrublands, Shrub Steppe, Grasslands, Woodland Savanna

I have made a few assumptions here, but guys please stay with me. Rocky Mountain Steppe is classified as a Diffcult biome because there can be lots of unpassable regions, and tribes other than Hrothi can get lost underground. In addition, the temperature and the dryness can make Southern tribes struggle. Marsh, Salt Marsh, Tropical Wetland are classified as diffcult to access because they will slow down your movement; higher humidity may drain stamina quicker, while also host more types of diseases. Building infrastructure in these biomes could also be diffcult.

Maybe one of the waerd biomes is also difficult to access, but we got no info yet, so.... I just leave all of them as moderate instead of making assumptions.

Now, to the meat of the analysis, maps are divided into 3 groups:

I) Extreme biomes are rather easy to access, because moderate biome is closed and can serve as depots for restock and repairs. It implies rewards for exploration may not be as high: Map G, R, T

In these maps, we can enter the extreme biomes from a moderate biome, meaning a portion of the extreme biomes may be explored even before we players set foot on Elyria.

Notable mention:

Map G's Semi Arid desert border the main North-South trade route going through the Grassland. The Grassland should be highly populated. Judging by the looks of it, wind is carrying moisture from the East to the West, and somehow the moisture can't reach the Semi-Arid Desert. I am guessing there is some sort of mountain blocking the current, creating a rain shadow. So, it is not easy to access despite bordering the Grassland. Majority of the desert is also close to the sea, those areas are could be more habitable than plain sight. But hey, I have never studied Geography, so what do I know. The tropical rainforest has a small border with the Shrub Steppe, which should be the easiest route into the rainforest.

Map T is the only map where Kingdom 2 is obviusly further North than Kingdom 1. Would that mean easier access to the Taiga? That is up for debate, though the Taiga's border with Mixed Leaf Forest will surely ease things out. The tropical rainforest forest is separated from the woodland savannah by a comparative small distance. No big deal there.

II) In these maps, the extreme biomes maybe far from the major South North trade route, or a great portion of its territories still await us to explore:

Map F (Tropical wetland), Map M, O, (Tropical rainforest)

Notable mentions :

Map F. If you are from the North, you can't access the tropical rainforest without going through diffcult biomes. But you can always take a rest in the woodland savannah, then continue the journey. For people from Kingdom 5, you can walk straight into the tropical rainforest with no big deal.

Map M, though the tropical rainforest is bordered by a swamp and a Tropical wetland, the distance between the woodland savannah and tropical rainforest is comparative short. Similarly, the distant separating the Shrublands and the Grasslands are also relatively short.

III) Now to the juicy maps, with hard route to enter the toughest biome. The first adventurer who investigate every corner of these extreme biomes can be confident that he is entitled to treasures : Map A, C, E, H, I, J, K, N, P, Q, S (Taiga); Map B, D, E, I, J, K, L, N (Tropical rainforest), L (Semi-Arid desert)

Notable mentions :

In Map A, the easiest route going into the Taiga for Southern tribes, is through the Broad Leaf forest. Yet, the border between the Broad Leaf Forest and the Taiga is rather narrow (comparatively). Explorers should either find Hrothi guiding them through the Mountains, or befriend the Kypig.

Map C and Map I are the only 2 maps where the Alpine forest block off the border of the Taiga completely. So make sure you bring enough clothing to stand against the cold. These map should offer the toughest travel to the Taiga.

Map E, the Tropical rainforest must be accessed through either the Salt Marsh or Tropical Wetlands, which put the map in this tier. It's semi-Arid desert biome is positioned rather uniquely. Bordering a marsh and salt marsh which the main trade route would likely go through, while the desert can be accessed easily from the South. Marshes bordering semi-arid desert sounds like a strong contrast. We have no clue how populated the borders are. I have to make a guess here. I expect the border between the desert and the marshes will be negligibly populated, and only the Southern regions of the desert is considered explored.

Map L, being one of the 2 maps that have a Bog biome, this makes the Tropical rainforest the hardest to reach for Northern explorerers among all the maps. You would either pass through the bog with rampaging plague or the swamp with various diseases. The easiest way is going from woodland savannah into the marsh, then into the salt Marsh. However, since the region connecting the marsh with the woodland savannah is squeezed bettween the bog and the swamp. It is reasonable to expect that region is full of disease too, right? On the other hand, this is one of the few maps with semi-Arid desert far from the main South to North trade route, which should be through the grassland and woodland savannah area. Moreover, the biome distribution suggested moisture comes from the East to the West, implying the possibility of mountain range bordering the Bog and the Desert. Even the border of the desert loosely populated. I am guessing the Desert on this map is also the hardest tto reach.

Map P has 2 unique features : it's semi-Arid desert is completely inland and there is minimal distance between these 4 biomes: Alpine Forest, Rocky Mountain Steppe , Lower Mountane and the Broad Leaf Forest. The Semi-Arid desert may hold contents unique to other maps, but since it is still surrounded substantially by moderate biome, I just consider it can be accessed easily. The mid-point between Alpine Forest, Rocky Mountain Steppe , Lower Mountane and the Broad Leaf Forest seems destined to be a trading hub. Travellers, make sure you are well-prepared there before heading North.

In short, if you are looking for the greatest challenge / rewards for exploration in the starting continent, Map L is the obvious choice. Map E, I, J, K, N offers 2 extremely inaccessible biomes, offering a less competitive environment to exploration players.

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren

10/24/2018 4:04:52 PM #1

2)Size of Extreme biomes:

Well, size does matter, at least for exploration in CoE. A biome with bigger size may hold more resources, and also have more areas for us to explorer. Areas that no one has ever visited simply invite Soulborn engine to add interesting contents. The larger the area for an extereme biome, the more likely this will happen. This is not necessary true, but can very reasonably be the case.

I am not going to discuss size in the absolute sense (i.e. measuring in KM square). Instead comparative size is used: comparing sizes of extreme biomes, to other biomes. This is because we do not have the tools to measue the sizes. The maps provided to us may not be in the same scale. Moreover, the bigger the portion of a starting continent are exterme biomes, the more important exploration is. Imagine if we have 2 maps which only have 2 biome, Taiga and Grassland. Both maps have the same size for the Taiga. However, outside the Taiga, 1 map has grassland 10% the size of the Taiga, while the other map's Grassland is as big as the Taiga. Needless to say, the communities within the map with a smaller Grassland will encourage exploration much more.

I am using Zylas's data, Count Zimmah's google doc's “Area data” as the basis of this analysis. Great thanks to both of them. The biome size is measured in the unit of pixels. I basically award points to each extreme biome base on their size following rule:

smaller than average biome : 2 same as average biome : 3 larger than average biome : 4

Then I just add up the score for each of the 20 map. Maps having a Bog will naturally have an advantage, because I considered Bog to be an extreme biome while salt Marsh is just a diffcult biome. So those maps get at least 2 additional points, even the bog is samll. In short, the higher the score, the better it is.

Results:

Maps scoring 9 or 10 points:

Map A, F, G, H, J, S and T

Special mention: Map J is the map with the least landmass as extreme biomes (19.5% only). In short, the need for exploration here is the lowest.

The following maps score 11 or 12 points:

Map B, C, D, E, L, M, N and O

Notable mention: Both Map C and N have all extreme biomes in similar size. Therefore, if you wish to vote for a map where you can easily find exploration groups each focusing on different biome destination, Map C and Map N are your best bet.

Map D is the only Map has both the swamp and tropical rainforest as smaller than average. I guess this is the clear choice if players wish to avoid dealing with extreme humidity in the early years of CoE. On the other hand, it is one of the few maps having a larger than average Semi-arid desert. If you wanna play a waerd explorer, this map sounds like a good choice.

The following maps score 13 or 14 points:

Map I, K, L, P and Q

Notable mention: Map I is the map with the greatest portion of landmass belongs to extreme biomes (Up to 33.95%). It is also the map with the biggest Taiga biome.

Map K is the one with both a large swamp and tropical rainforest. It is also one of the maps with a bog. This is the map with the largest portion of the treasures hidden in high humidity biomes. Without a doubt, this is the best map for Dras explorers, as long as you know how to survive in a biome where the foodchain is circular.

This concludes the 2nd section of the exploration analysis. Before moving to the 3rd portion, I would like to summarise the results of the 2 previous analysis as both of them focus on exploration before sea-faring technology is possible:

Map L has a large area in extreme biomes, at the same time, its biomes are among the hardest to access. Therefore, it provides the most content for exploration players. This map also has the biggest Bog biome out of all the maps. The best map if you want the most exploration.

The second place is tied between Map K, and Map N for me. Both map's Taiga and rainforest are difficult to reach. It will heavily come down to if you wish to deal with the bog biome. Map K has a Bog while Map N does not. Map K has 33.70% landmass covered by extreme biomes (ranking #2). However, Map N makes it up by having healthy spread of biome size, offering less direct competition.

Map I is the obvious 3rd choice. 33.95% of its landmass is in extreme biome, and the largest biome is the Taiga. If you want to play as a Hrothi or Brudvir explorer, you may even prefer this maps over those I stated above. The Taiga is also hard to access, which means the Brudvir / Hrothi explorers have a head start on the Taiga's exploration.

My 4th map would actually be Map C. Although it only has an average score in both the accessibility and size criteria. One thing I did not mention previously, is that this map has its Semi-arid Desert sitting at arguably one of the most important strategic location : Any one traveling from South to North or vice versa must pass through the desert. Even the rewards lying within the extreme biomes may not be as tempting, this map provides the biggest demand on explorers as guide and pillars for an invading army.

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

10/24/2018 4:05:03 PM #2

3) Coastlines length and Bays

The longer the coastlines for a biome, and the more bays. the higher chance that it will have more seaside settlements. Bays are great for ship-building settlements because it provides calmer waters and also allow us to fish easier. It smooth out the technology development process, and allow inhabitants to familiarize themselves with sea-faring skills before going into the open sea. Since we are considering more long term here, these can also be locations for constructing a sea-side settlement even if no settlement is present at domain selection. However, we have to keep in mind, that some biomes are not supportive to ship building due to resources available to them.

Assuming we are going to build wooden ships, I have divided the biomes into 3 categories according to the quality and quantity of tree logs available for ships:

Best : Alpine Forest, Taiga, Mixed Leaf Forest, Broad Leaf Forest, Salt Marsh, Woodland Savannah

Supportive: Lower Montane, Grasslands, Shrubland, Tropical Wetland, Marsh, Tropical rainforest

Poor: Shrub Steppe, Rocky Montane Steppe, Semi-Arid desert, Swamp, Bog

Salt Marsh is classified best, as I expect woods growing there can stand long-time weathering from sea water. Despite having a wide variety of trees in the rainforest, it is still classified as supportive. It is because I am expecting the wild life in the rainforest will make collecting lumbers very difficult. Moreover, some of the plants maybe poisonous, making some of the woods unusable until we know how to treat them. Swamp and Bog may both have a healthy supply of wood, but I am guessing those would be soft wood, not appropriate for ships. As always, there are some speculations going on here, but I believe they are reasonable enough for the analysis.

I have measured coastlines of every map by using a mouse tracking software and by hovering the mouse along the coastline of each map. The map is enlarge to 200% of original size to reduce error. Though, I have to admit, there is a bit of human error involved, so expect a + / - 1cm difference for the end data. The inland sea coastlines on Map H, and Map N are ignored, since we have no clue if it is connected to the ocean, and even if it is connected, can ocean-faring vessels be transported to the open sea through the river / whatever that connect the 2.

Results:

Since we don’t have enough time for a deep analysis, I have to save some time by eliminating some maps from my analysis using the coastline length. Only the top 6 maps with the best biome having the highest total coastline length will be further analysed. Only bays in the best and supportive biomes will be take into consideration. (Bays are circled in white)

Map B (Total coastline for the best biomes : 101cm, Total # of Notable Bays in best biome: 12)

Map B's best biomes have the longest coastlines among all the maps. On top of that, 5 out of the 12 bays lies in the Mixed Leaf Forest locating at the “bottleneck” of the continent, which should also be the main trade route. This will provide healthy supply of quality woods and other trade goods for ship manufacturing and the population to do so. If that's not enough, note that both the Northern West 2 bays and the 2 bays at the East coast are both within a gulf. These places are heaven for ship buildings. These places are also ideal for resupplying merchant ships if we eventually reach that technology. Talk about good places for investment. If you envision yourself to be a Neran explorer, vote for Map B, and find your way to the Mixed Leaf Forest in Kingdom 3! You caouldn't ask for more.

Map E (Total coastline for the best biomes : 93cm, Total # of Notable Bays in best biome: 11)

Map E is a very interesting candidate. First off, it is characterised by notable bays in the Sothern continent is far away from the Northern ones. This implies there will be a long period of time that the Northern tribes and Southern tribes develop very different type of ships.

In the North, looking at the distributions of notable bays, 3 lies in the Kypig's forest, 2 in the Brudvir's Taiga, the Neran's Mixed leaf forest has 1 in a rather tuck in position, and finally, there is 1 bay between the Alpine forest and the BroadLeaf forest. My bet is that the Brudvir will rise up as the dominant naval power first in thee North for the following reasons:

Brudvir's culture are build upon small and strong bonding groups, which fit especially well with early ship size. Secondly, they have strong fighter individually and are used to the cooler temperature from the North. Hrothi from the Alpine forest are not as familiar with the sea as the Brudvir, as they like their underground settlements. Moreover, their small stature are not helpful in naval combat. Both the Hrothi and Brudvir has strong upper body, making them good rowers and sailors. The Kypigs on the other hand, will be hesitant to cut down their forest for ship building due to their religion. They are also weak in terms of melee combat, and their strength is one of the lowest among all tribes. However, they should make great navigator. Out in the open sea, the only way to navigate is through stars in the night. This is where the Kypig shines, their exceptional night sight could provide better guidance for their ships. (Now I am imagining Kypigs zipping from a pole to another)

The Southern continent is equally interesting. The Woodland Savanna's bays are at the border of the Tropical Wetlands and Shrub Steppe. Not sure how's the wood supplies near these borders. The Dras also has one of the bays at the border of the Tropical Rainforest while another one is further North. Does Dras make for great sailors? They don't perform well under sunlight and are weak in terms of strength. However, they can survive long jouney due to their iron stomach and Dirty water traits. It's hard to say which tribe will dominant the Southern seas, as I have no clue how to interpret coastal settlements at the borders of biomes.

Map A (Total coastline for the best biomes : 89cm, Total # of Notable Bays in best biome: 8)

Map A ranked number three and offers a completely different naval picture from the above ones. In this map, all notable bays lies in the Northern continent. It seems the naval technology will be lead by the Northern tribes. The woodland Savanna does not even has a coastline.

One thing to note on this map is that the Broad Leaf Forest offers a Persian Gulf like geography. This means the largest Kypig coastal settlement can be secured by land forces.

Map S (Total coastline for the best biomes : 87cm, Total # of Notable Bays in best biome: 10.5)

The landscape of Map S have most of its notable bays most on the Continent's Western Coasts, safe for the one bay in the Woodland Savanna. I can see the Brudvir and Hrothi will compete with the Dras for the control of Western waters. There is also this large BroadLeaf forest Gulf that I do not what implication it has.

Another notable feature is the border between the Tropical rainforest, the woodland Savanna and the Swamp. Basically, all 3 biomes meet each other at the same point, and it is also the inner most spot of a Gulf. This place can be the birth place of Janoa naval force if they maintain a good relationship with their neighbors.

Map G (Total coastline for the best biomes : 85cm, Total # of Notable Bays in best biome: 15)

Map G and Map H ties in terms of coastal length. Like Map B, The Neran coastal area are located at strategic locations, and also within a gulf. Interestingly, between the Mixed Leaf Forest and the Broad Leaf Forest, the coastline extend into the inland according to the map. Does this mean a River grows wider and wider approaching the sea? I would just say that, River settlement there could very well be developed into ship building a settlement. In terms of naval power, the North will once again see fierce competition between Neran and the Brudvir. It is hard to call who is going to come out on top, as the Neran has the benefit of the Gulf to train in calmer waters but the biome size is smaller comparing to the Brudvir's, offering less resources.

The Southern Sea will be rather peaceful once again, with Dras dominating the Western Coast and the To'resk on the East.

Map H (Total coastline for the best biomes : 85cm, Total # of Notable Bays in best biome: 12.5)

Map H ties with Map G in terms of Coast length merely because I did not count the inland sea. This inland can be a game changer in terms of sea-faring technology. I have no clue what I should make out of the inland sea though. So my analysis below might be huigely off the mark. In the Northern seas, the Neran and the Kypig are completely separated in terms of naval force. This complicate the naval competition quickly and I can't tell who is on top. The Southern seas is dominant by the Dras once again. Nothing is certain on this map, except the Woold Savanna To'resk are pretty much behind in the naval race.

This concludes my analysis from the exploration perspective. Please leave a comment, or follow this link to go back to the directory.

10/24/2018 4:05:21 PM #3

Reserved

10/24/2018 7:41:23 PM #4

First can I just say that I absolutely love the way you and your group are breaking these down! It's nice to see a non-biased perspective!

I disagree with the way the Trader analysis was broken down as it does not mention any kind of coastal trading. For example on Map I Kingdom 2 will actually have 3 trading partners that are readily accessible due to the shortened distance between Kingdom 2 and 5 using the coast. On Map N, there are seemingly obvious direct coastal routes between kingdom 1 and 5 and between kingdom 2 and 4, though sea travel will likely need to be discovered first. Map H opens coastal trade between kingdoms 1 and 3 and between kingdoms 2 and 4 as well with the future potential of kingdoms 3 and 5 getting a fairly direct oceanic trade.

Also, there should be a caveat in the trading section that we don't have any clear picture on mountains which inhibit trade or rivers which promote trade.

Hope it helps...

10/24/2018 10:08:04 PM #5

Thanks for loving this and no worry pixiepunchpie, coast line will come along later :)

11/1/2018 2:32:49 AM #6

Added the 3rd section for analysis on coastlines and Bays. This concludes the exploration analysis.