COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SELENE GENERAL
Time to split votes: Full voting power

TL;DR: Most people with significant influence have more than one spark, i.e. more than one vote. If you have only voted for a single map so far, I strongly recommend using your additional votes to influence which maps we will have in round 2 besides B & C. If you voted one of the maps that are more or less locked in for Selene (B&C) or one that is on the top spots on the other servers (A, H, I, L, N, R, S & T) you are not using your voting power effectively.

Quick reminder: Splitting your votes on more than one map will split your influence according to the total votes you have given.

Example: Assume you have 6 sparks and voted only once for B, C or one of the maps another server has secured. You can still give another map 5 votes. 1/6 i.e. ~16.67% of your influence still goes to the map you originally voted, but now 5/6 or about 83.33% of your influence can be used on your new choice. If you have 12 sparks you can potentially reallocate 91.67% of your influence.

Why is this important? Most influence on Selene was given to maps B&C. As no other server is interested in these maps, a lot more influence was used than necessary to secure them. If in round 2 maps B&C do not live up to expectations, it would come in handy to have 3 other interesting maps as a fallback.

Personally, I think the more continental looking maps J, M and P would offer a good contrast to B&C and deserve a closer look in round 2, as natural borders such as mountain ridges will massively impact what that land mass actually means.

Final note: Since Selene is in a unique position, favoring two maps no other server is really interested in, we could even try to get a map that is currently on spot 2-5 on another server to rank better on Selene. However, this has the potential of backfiring and leaving everybody worse off. Again, I'd rather have a closer look on maps whose true potential can only come to light in round 2, i.e. J, M and P.

TBD, Count of The Metheglin Meadows in Iyandolin, 🌷Kingdom of Al-Khezam 🌷, Selene

10/30/2018 10:30:02 AM #1

I like all your map choices, I dont want a thin middle chokepoint either. lets do it^^

Friend Code: 30EF47

10/30/2018 10:34:39 AM #2

Or not? ;)

Lets be honest the reason for the voting currently is because of kingdoms voting. If you want us to use votes elsewhere... you need to persuade them. :)

PS: "Interesting" isn't the best argument.

Count Darothar, Bleak Ark

10/30/2018 11:03:26 AM #3

Posted By Kossuth at 11:34 AM - Tue Oct 30 2018

[T]he reason for the voting currently is because of kingdoms voting.

That's the point. The majority of kingdoms currently favor B&C, which both are effectively secured for Selene, even if they both had half or even less influence than they currently have, since Angelica and Luna do not care for these maps.

In case round 2 reveals things about B&C that make them less appealing to some or most kingdoms, it might be a good idea to have sensible alternatives.

You are absolutely right, though: "Interesting" is not an argument at all. J, M and P are just my personal favorites as a "nomad". I think I read on the forums that J also had some advocates across kingdoms and I really want to get a better look in round 2. J has a very distincive overall look and a lot of potential for ports and coastal trade routes. Deeper analysis will only be possible in round 2 with the presence of ridges and rivers.

TBD, Count of The Metheglin Meadows in Iyandolin, 🌷Kingdom of Al-Khezam 🌷, Selene

10/30/2018 11:59:14 AM #4

Posted By _ac at 11:03 AM - Tue Oct 30 2018

Posted By Kossuth at 11:34 AM - Tue Oct 30 2018

[T]he reason for the voting currently is because of kingdoms voting.

That's the point. The majority of kingdoms currently favor B&C, which both are effectively secured for Selene, even if they both had half or even less influence than they currently have, since Angelica and Luna do not care for these maps.

In case round 2 reveals things about B&C that make them less appealing to some or most kingdoms, it might be a good idea to have sensible alternatives.

You are absolutely right, though: "Interesting" is not an argument at all. J, M and P are just my personal favorites as a "nomad". I think I read on the forums that J also had some advocates across kingdoms and I really want to get a better look in round 2. J has a very distincive overall look and a lot of potential for ports and coastal trade routes. Deeper analysis will only be possible in round 2 with the presence of ridges and rivers.

I totally agree with you. In discord map-voting channel I am say this to all Eu we need to have a nice top 5 maps choice. I like all those map you say except J for K6 look very small.

10/30/2018 1:06:30 PM #5

You have to realise that C and B are going to be the top 2.

That means any maps that are in the top 3 position on the NA servers are no go's.

Any map in first or second place in the NA servers are out of the equation. Any map in third place on those servers are a no go too because that's just going to cause it to go to a vote count tie breaker which is pointless since most of our own votes are in B and C and is risky to change that.

So A, H, I, L, N & T are just out of the question.

The maps left therefore for us to choose from are: D E F G J K M O P Q R S

Best method then is to whittle that list down by removing maps that suck the most. Then the three we're left with are the ones that should go through and people can arrange to pass a few votes across to them to bump them up.

or we can try a survery: SURVEY: Final 3 Maps for Selene

10/30/2018 4:13:06 PM #6

Posted By Stormbreaker at 2:06 PM - Tue Oct 30 2018

I agree with the overall sentiment of your post. As stated – and now expressed in your survey – my votes go to J, M and P, which all are still for grabs.

However, as it currently stands, nobody besides Selene really cares for B&C, so it would not really matter much if they were 2nd and 3rd. Excuse my nitpicking here, it's just technically possible to vote a map that is 3rd on Angelica or Luna to 1st on Selene. It would be a very very bad move and I do not think we could find enough players willing to do that. But the way understood round 1 voting to work, if we have a map ranking 1st and it's 2nd or 3rd on another server, we would get it. Influence as tie breaker is only relevant if our 1st coincides with say Angelicas 1st or our 2nd coincides with Lunas 2nd. If I understood it correctly.Again, not really relevant anyway, just a technicality.

10/30/2018 4:25:30 PM #7

Please no more B and C voting. We really need more choices.

10/30/2018 4:36:48 PM #8

Posted By _ac at 4:13 PM - Tue Oct 30 2018

Posted By Stormbreaker at 2:06 PM - Tue Oct 30 2018

I agree with the overall sentiment of your post. As stated – and now expressed in your survey – my votes go to J, M and P, which all are still for grabs.

However, as it currently stands, nobody besides Selene really cares for B&C, so it would not really matter much if they were 2nd and 3rd. Excuse my nitpicking here, it's just technically possible to vote a map that is 3rd on Angelica or Luna to 1st on Selene. It would be a very very bad move and I do not think we could find enough players willing to do that. But the way understood round 1 voting to work, if we have a map ranking 1st and it's 2nd or 3rd on another server, we would get it. Influence as tie breaker is only relevant if our 1st coincides with say Angelicas 1st or our 2nd coincides with Lunas 2nd. If I understood it correctly.Again, not really relevant anyway, just a technicality.

I disagree for the sole fact that if people start splitting votes around we don't know the extent of the damage that could do to the B and C bars. For a start if everyone who voted B did one more vote somewhere else the B bar would literally halve in size. Do two more votes it'll third in size and other maps will grow to an equal height. There'd be no clear way to manage an entire server splitting votes. Then should people on NA see the bars split and the poisiton of B become compromised where it could drop into 4th or 5th place then they may take that as an opportunity to boost theirs just to stop us getting it.

It's far too risky to let B drop below 1st and I can't see Arkadia allowing C to fall.

If you start contemplating altering the results to an extent that you're moving the top bars around and trying to secure maps high on the NA servers then it becomes too complicated and we've only got until Friday.

On the otherhand if we just agree to choose from the maps that are more available and don't require massive amounts of detailed planning then it becomes easier to pull off.

10/30/2018 5:06:24 PM #9

Am rooting for P and J i think thos maps offer the best variation to the locked in maps.

Maybe we even will come to favor them when we see more details.

10/30/2018 10:37:02 PM #10

Hey, I'm another nomad here. And took a closer look on some of the maps.

One type of maps I don't want are maps with far distances of kingdoms and little choices about which kingdoms to pass through. Map C and G would be such bad examples IMHO.

Maps which include long and narrow kingdoms I would also avoid. Map M would be a bit stupid with the shapes of kingdom 3 and 4.

I also took a look on Map S. Every kingdom in S has either 2 or 3 borders with other kingdoms. I think that's good. The small grasslands passage in the middle could be a conflict zone. I'm rather skeptical about such narrow passages, rather like to have some choices like in map J.

11/1/2018 10:17:27 AM #11

Steal L from NA-W by raising it over C. C is safe as 3rd spot.

Backer #12. Friend code: 9B7EDE.

Kypiq mayor of Willowhaven - Crossstone - Whiteraven Rock - Tryggr

Join Whiteraven Rock Discord (https://discord.gg/ppTBAqs)

11/5/2018 3:51:40 PM #12

Posted By Nahkahiiri at 11:17 AM - Thu Nov 01 2018

Steal L from NA-W by raising it over C. C is safe as 3rd spot.

Wow, I didn't expect this to actually happen. Well, since we now lost J in favor of L, let's just hope it holds up in round 2. I had high hopes for J :-/.

I think we did get a good selection, although from what I have heard, there was more consensus across kingdoms on J than there was on L, but I am not really following that.

We got 5 maps to choose from anyway. We will see soon enough :-)

11/6/2018 1:40:55 AM #13

Arkadia worked to send J away wile we pushed in C ( before ) and Q and P ( last minute )