COMMUNITY - FORUMS - ANGELICA GENERAL
Angelica Round 2 Maps Discussion

The maps we'll be able to vote for in Round 2 are...

Map I

Map H

Map S

Map K

Map G

The Discussion

This is your chance to convince the community of which map to go with, and it's something that will greatly influence the landscape of our server - quite literally.

Which is your favorite, and why? Why are you voting for that one? Why should other people vote for that one?

What are your thoughts on the other maps?

11/3/2018 12:48:49 AM #1

I'm gonna hold off on any opinions until Monday when we get more detail on the maps.

Until then, it isn't worth debating. In my most Humble opinion

11/3/2018 1:16:20 AM #2

+1 for Obic! Can't agree more

Although I want to discuss, all arguments are speculative until we get the new information on the maps.

Should be able to see where deep water starts, fresh water sources like lakes and rivers, mountains, deserts, transitions between biomes.

All arguments will be changed or enhanced with the added info.

11/3/2018 1:36:04 AM #3

Here's why I initially went all in voting for S:

...it's not exactly scientific and not a whole lot of thought went into it. Waerd just creep me out.

Though looking at I, it seems that I is superior. Not only is their "downward flow" better, but it looks like Kingdom 1 with the Brudvir get a more prominent land area. Though, I plan on being in Kingdom 2.

Also once you see S as someone tip-toeing you won't be able to unsee it. So think of that what you will.

H is great in that it's a donut map but it has awful biome placement (imo), and unavoidable Waerd going from North to South.

For me, K is too boring and G is too scrunched up.

All in all for me I'd go in order... I, S, H... then K & G dead last.

... and yeah, I am kinda basing my votes on frivolous nonsense. But you're not the boss of me!

"If I wanna be a fool then I WILL be a fool! That is my God given right as an American." -Jason Stackhouse, True Blood

11/3/2018 2:01:45 AM #4

Is it because they're brown and striped? I'm not sure I'd categorize avoidance of a particular tribe "downward flow" lol.

H has nice balance visually, imo, but only two kingdoms can make easy use of the unique inland sea, which makes me a sad panda.

Which map I'll actually go for will be dependent on freshwater features, since I want to make ample use of river trade. I really hope those are shown in the next round.

11/3/2018 2:04:29 AM #5

I'm voting for I because of the western gulf area, and the eastern side has a pretty nice gulf as well.

Mostly, I'm going for I because it gives greater landmass for the Brudvir which I plan to play as. More landmass means more room for population and resources. The Brudvir master race needs their Lebensraum. (Obviously a joke).

11/3/2018 2:40:58 AM #6

Is it just me, or does Map I look very similar to the Eastern Kingdoms in WoW?

The mystery of the universe is like one big jigsaw puzzle, and we are forever discovering new pieces.

11/3/2018 4:01:52 AM #7

Posted By Tiffany at 9:36 PM - Fri Nov 02 2018

...it's not exactly scientific and not a whole lot of thought went into it. Waerd just creep me out.

G not only lets you avoid the Waerd but also puts the Kypiq in a tiny little biome. How many Kypiq could they possibly fit in that tiny little biome?

11/4/2018 9:17:02 PM #8

@Crysta What? That's racist. No, it's because they're creepy automotons. They're practically like the Borg of CoE with their creepy collective of weirdness... and weird androgyny.

11/4/2018 9:43:19 PM #9

I’d argue a hardcore collectivist society is a far cry from a society of automations, but whatever. They’d probably think you’re weird, too.

11/6/2018 4:21:33 PM #10

I went with map H I think having the big lake will save us from worrying about sea travel for water based plants/ fish. I think it could be vary useful early on in the game.

11/6/2018 4:27:30 PM #11

Maps I would consider playing on (in order of 1st to last): H, K, I or S

Maps I would not consider playing on: G

Why not G? It's simple, the Kypiq, one of the One Biome Tribes (OBTs) has a tiny biome, basically a 10km squared area with a chunk out of it.

Why H? Biome sizes are relatively equal (especially important for the OBTs). The inner lake (with what seems to be river access from it to the ocean) makes for interesting potential trade hubs, naval capitols, war objective, water source for desert, and dual land choke point. Mountains in the north are interesting with what seems to be a circular chain around one Hrothi Biome. Even though it is a "pancake" map, every kingdom except kingdom 1 borders 2 other kingdoms. Every Biome has ocean access, nobody is landlocked.

Why K? Biome sizes are relatively equal (especially important for the OBTs), although Janoa have a particularly generous plot. Interesting triangular lake in Brudvir Biome. Potentially volatile area where kingdoms 1,2,3, and 4 all connect (which could also be a huge trade hub potentially). Every kingdom borders at least 2 kingdoms except kingdom 6.

Why I? Biome sizes are relatively equal (especially important for the OBTs), although Brudvir have a particular generous plot. Every kingdom borders at least 2 other kingdoms. Large gulfs on either side of continent.

Why S? Biome sizes are relatively equal (especially important for the OBTs), although Kypiq have a slightly more generous plot. Every Kingdom borders at least 2 other kingdoms. Large gulfs on either side of continent. Brudvir seperated by Hrothi by River(s)?

Conclusion: Both H and K have huge interests for me, I and S less so, but still interesting. G has some interesting aspects, but Kypiq being relegated to such a tiny area turned me off completely.

Anything interesting or of potential strategic value you see that I missed? Anything you disagree with me about? I'd love to have a new perspective or have my values on which map to choose challenged.

11/6/2018 6:07:13 PM #12

Going all in on H, it was the one I was hoping for most in the first round too. I just really love that lake.

11/6/2018 6:16:57 PM #13

Excerpt from our discord discussion on map H. Not a big fan

"Trade between Northern and Southern biomes either goes through the desert controlled by k4, the lake that is too big to travel straight through at launch, or a small valley on the east side that puts k5 in the advantageous spot"

11/6/2018 6:28:42 PM #14

I'm voting K. It has the advantages listed above and the To'resk biomes are ideally situated with ocean access and 3 different kingdoms to choose from.

NA-W, Governor of Ogralyn

11/6/2018 6:51:46 PM #15

Some info from Caspian today...

Overlaps or gaps in kingdom boundaries is a hidden rounding bug in the political border system. Visualize the gap closed.

The team considered making it contested territory.

But it's just a rendering bug.

Also:

Duchies never cross biome borders. If there is a biome border, it also acts as a duchy border.

And:

Just wanted to again say that I hope you enjoy the maps. Raevantiel and I are taking the day off but we did notice a few things I want to fix with the maps. The lakes aren't showing correctly, the biome borders are too light, and there are no labels. So tomorrow we will recompose the maps to fix those issues.

It looks like the renderer used a clipping plane to handle water at sea level. Which means we were seeing it against a blue background, but it was really just transparent. Now that we are using a custom background, the rivers and lakes at sea level are showing up the same muted green as the background.

Anyways just checking in and making sure you know, that we know, that there are some things we want to fix in the next day or two.

Edit: And some more relevant info...

Oh. And I saw someone say and I wanted to confirm. Our km isn't an earth km.

A km is defined as 1024m. So each pixel is 128m. There are 16 parcels of land across in 1 elyrian km. It's an Elyrian km.

Our meter is the same as on earth. We just define our km to be 1024 meters, not 1000.

Trying to divide an earth km into 64m parcels was... yuck. However a 64m2 parcel is almost the size of an earth acre.

The important thing to remember. 1px is 128m. 8px is an elyrian km. An elyrian km is 1024m which is 16 parcels of land across.