COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
A bird’s flight...

(A few days ago, a player among our COE community has passed. It is our wish to honor his memory with a short story. This is a moment of real life mourning, and I will thus, please, ask everyone to refrain from any negative posts.)

“When one of us dies, something dies within every one of us”

-Queen Rowena Darkholm

————

Fall had arrived, and with it the chilly, familiar breeze. The time of silence was approaching, that moment when the birds he loved listening to would take flight to only the gods would know where. Perhaps they would visit all corners of this world. With the same silence the night approached.

From his cabin, a middle-aged man sat on a rocking chair, moved by the loving hand of the love of his life. He was quietly admiring the distant mountains, the snowcapped tops, the nearby woods, and the small hill where his home stood.

The man’s eyes were tired, as if he had not slept for over a season. There was even more fatigue in the visage of his wife, but yet, the memories of their lives together gave her strength to go on.

“It’s just the two of us” he whispered.

Ethea smiled. “It has always been the two of us, my love” she kissed the back of his head.

“And that worries me” he said without turning his head.

“Worries you?”

“I will have broken my promise” the man continued “I promised I would never leave you, and now I worry I will leave you alone…after you have stood by my side.”

There was now mist in her eyes. She half choked, not knowing if to laugh or weep.

“I’ll bring you some warm white whisp tea” she turned towards the kitchen, so that the man she loved would not see her sadness “so you can feel a little better…it always makes you feel better!”

It was many years they had spent together building their lives in the outskirts of the barony, far away from the hustle and bustle, far away from the noise of the city. She wanted to make sure he was safe and sound, and now, the man she wanted to keep for herself was fading, as a strange illness was weakening more and more each day.

“Do you remember the song of our wedding?” she asked, hoping he could. His condition had made him forget many things, and those he did remember, he sometimes had trouble recalling details of.

“There is nothing like you…” Elisius broke into song as best as he could, chuckling.

“There is nothing like us…” she replied in song, relieved that this was not one of the times where she lost him to the confusion wrought by his condition.

“and there might never be…” he continued.

“oh, there will never be…” she added.

“a love as pure and beautiful…”

“our love is pure and beautiful…” she smiled, her body swaying as she sang and poured the hot liquid. Ethea loved to hear his voice singing from the balcony as she had taken care of her chores for many years.

“And I will never forget…”

“We will never forget…” she responded.

“they are here for me…”

“And I will be there for…wait, what?” Ethea stopped herself. It was not his verse; the confusion was surely approaching to take a hold of him, once again. The last time it had lasted a week. She wondered how much it would last this time around.

“…thank you all for coming…” he continued singing “…I am ever grateful, for the one thing I have never lacked…which is love…”

Ethea walked back to the balcony as fast as she could, tea in hand.

She nearly froze in place, bringing a hand to cover her mouth in disbelief as the loving woman began to cry.

The man who for long had been unable to walk now stood, holding to the armrests in his chair, looking out into the hill where hundreds of candles were lit, held in the hands of men and women who walked to pay him a visit. Among them, men who has served with him, done business with him, and even some who had just been acquaintances. Some of his fiercest rivals walked among the crowd, candles in hand. Even noblemen and women of the high Houses of Blackheart made themselves present, the sigils of every Duchy evident in their blazons.

The Archduchess of Drakeolm brought flowers. To her side, her husband, the man also known as The Heretic.

Heading the group, Count Maghetti Kalvari walked, his eyes moist like the morning dew as they captured the image of his long time, beloved friend. His hand held the hand of the Master of Life, she who had treated him as best as she could, and along it all had become a friend.

By Maghetti’s other side stood the Queen herself, who had come to pay a visit.

If Elysius would have had a mirror at that very moment, he would have seen himself smiling.

Lord Calvari sat on the railing and took his friend’s hand.

Ethea knelt by his side and she placed the tea on the floor. She wept quite deeply.

It was a most tender moment, where the Blood of Blackheart did what they did best, act as one despite it all.

Elysius’s strength left him as he whispered the last piece of his song “…and I will smile, for I know I will always be remembered…”

And so his soul was lifted by the birds he loved to listen to, as they left, to take him to every corner of Elyria, of this world, and beyond...

"When you feel you don't belong, you belong...to me" -Rowena Darkholm, Queen of Black Hearts

11/5/2018 10:59:11 PM #1

Farewell.

11/5/2018 11:00:35 PM #2

Our thoughts go with Elysius and family.

Maghetti, friend I know how close you were as well, if there is anything that our Duchy, your friends can do for you please let us know.

May Elysius rest in peace.

11/5/2018 11:05:01 PM #3

(copied from what I wrote in kingdom) I only knew Elisius for about 8 months but we were close... He could make a deep connection with a person that easily. he was a genuinely caring person and a good friend. He was always so optimistic and positive about his condition and I don't think he realizes how deep of an impact he had on me; I was truly inspired by his attitude towards life and death and his kindness. He always wanted to leave an impact on people, and he left an indelible one on me. Elisius, you had the patient heart of a teacher (even though you were my chess nemesis!) and through your memory I am inspired to be a better person.

Thank you, Rowena, for your beautiful story honoring the memory of a beautiful person.

11/5/2018 11:05:21 PM #4

When the winds of Zenobia blow through the land, we will hear Elysius's name whispered upon the breeze.

You will be remembered. Always.

"I welcome you to the Higuri Regalia -- Where There is Power in Beauty."

11/5/2018 11:12:15 PM #5

Elisius was my friend for a good long time, at least 12 years. Deeply loyal he followed me to this community and remained a close personal friend all along. I got to talk to him after his first brain surgery, to see how scared he was, and see his transformation of his unbelievably hopeful and positive perspective on life, knowing he at best had a few years left to live. I badly desired us getting the opportunity to play this game together but unfortunately he did not make it. It is a devastating loss to me, probably the closest person to me to have died in my life. Humanity lost a good one but i feel the impact he left on me, Isolde and many others will be his legacy.

11/5/2018 11:48:58 PM #6

Prayers for his friends and family!

11/5/2018 11:50:50 PM #7

Farewell, Elisius.

In the salt-soaked seamist there is love,
In the silence and the certain there is Blood,
And when our hearts have ceased their beat,
This will remain

11/6/2018 1:20:01 AM #8

How terrible that Elisius has departed.

11/6/2018 6:50:36 AM #9

farewell. I hope you lived a happy life, fellow blood.

Peace and Hope may only exist once one has known War and Despair. Like Genius and Madness, they are two sides of the same coin.

11/7/2018 9:55:17 AM #10

May the heavens bless thee and grant thee peace for evermore.

All Knights must Bleed. Blood is the Seal of our Devotion