COMMUNITY - FORUMS - LUNA DOMAINS
Develop. Co w/ Biome Selection Above Kingdom Selection

This post has been edited in order to reflect considerable changes brought on by map N being the winner. Originally, I wanted to place Kheg County in the mountains, but the lack of actual mountains makes this problematic. Therefore, I've looked for other hilly or rocky terrain for the many elevation changes that it would bring throughout Kheg County.

Kheg County is placing biome selection above kingdom selection.

Looking at the length of this post, I had a lot more thoughts about this than I knew and wanted to make sure that all were communicated.

Doing what the title says undoubtedly has it cons, but that is the direction I'd like to take.

I'm looking to place Kheg County in the Broad Leaf or Arid Desert biomes. Limited mountains have pushed the Rocky Mountain Biome to a tertiary with the Alpine biome my fourth choice now.

With that said, I'm now switching from Plan A to Plan B.

It seems that the Kingdom of Vornair has the mountains in a lock. That's not a bad thing. It's actually quite perfect except for the fact that I'm not completely in Vornair. I imagine my 2.5 year hiatus has put me the outside. I plan on applying again to one of their duchy's, but thought I should take the opportunity explore the possibility of finding willing and able people; see what their interests are and then go about researching other kingdoms and duchies so that we can find a duchy together while building both a bond as well as a county in the mean time.

• Plan A. Kheg County is looking for people from barons/mayors on down who want to locate in the mountains and hopefully find ourselves being accepted by a Vornair duchy. Which duchy though? That is dependent on the one that we choose as a group to try and woo.

The only issue with Plan A is that there is the obvious lack of a guarantee that this duchy will end up in a mountain biome Personally, I like Vornair, but the terrain I work and manage is of ultra importance to me. I read that the develops figure that most people will never be more than 30 km from their home. With these new maps, we can determine exactly how far this distance is. It is equal to the average biome diameter. From one edge across to the other is +/-30 km. If things go according to the developers plans it sounds like the average player will likely never need to venture beyond the adjacent biomes. However, knowing that most resource gatherers, producers, and traders will likely not have the need to fully travel clear across any of the adjacent biomes really puts things into perspective. With equipment wear being a factor, I wonder if those that do make regular trips out of this 30 km range will end up loosing money and draining time that could have been better spent working a different plan. My fear is that Kheg County could easily end up in Vornair's talga biome and due to the 30 km best practices range we seem to have, I'd hate to spend the vast amount of my game time in that biome.

• Plan B is to look for a different kingdom with our eyes on a different biome. My desire for a mountain county came from the need for lots of stone since I planned on doing mainly stone masonry. The other reason – and just as important -- was the interesting backdrop that mountains provide. Rocky/hilly terrain makes for an interesting place. I imagine it would get very boring laboring away on a flat terrain biome such as a swamp or marsh and thought the desert and shrub type biomes wouldn't be much better. However, with these new detailed maps that show how much terrain elevation can change and how often in an area of 3 km x 3 km (what we have been told would be the average size of counties) gives the desert and shrub biomes a much, much, much greater appeal. So much greater that Plan B could be called Plan A.02.

The only change to plan B is nixing the shrub biomes. They lost a lot of there erosion in Map N and are now pretty flat. In place of the shrub biomes is the Broad Leaf Forest.

In short, Plan B is a search for a duchy/kingdom in either the broad leaf forest or in the arid desert.

Originally, I was dead set on the mountain biome, but I'm liking our options.

My own personal game play plans are to build infrastructure and as I said earlier, I wanted to do it in stone so the mountains became a logical desire as a place to establish Kheg County. I'm not into PvP and as the county's count I'd like to see Kheg County become a very trade oriented place. It was this vision that lead me to the idea of building infrastructure because it would help businesses conduct commerce and trade. I may have to ditch stone masonry for carpentry, or perhaps mud bricks and sandstone, but the basic plan to build infrastructure in order to support commerce is still there.

If you are looking for a county and don't mind not having a duchy as of yet, consider what I've said. Aside from one other county resident – a Brudvir carpenter named Timbar – Kheg County is at stage one. The only thing written is stone so far is the county's name and that we're commerce oriented. Help Timbar and I chisel the rest in via a committee(s). If you have sound, coherent ideas you'd like to see implemented to help you in your own game play, but don't have any other means to implement them, you are highly encouraged to join us.

I'm very open to the thoughts and concerns of others who are interested, but have reservations. Kheg County is way behind all others in development plans and recruitment so your thoughts on how to turn all of this around is truly appreciated.

As far as culture goes, I see a lot of kingdoms and duchies and even some counties are creating their own cultures from scratch. I don't know if the masses are really concerned with having this, but if we find that it is something beneficial it can be written over time and therefore a project we can do as a group as opposed to myself dictating it and hashing it all out in a single night.

Let's build this county together and if we can't do it in stone, bring a sharp axe so we can chop down some trees. I imagine it will be slow recruitment until we are picked up by a kingdom and/or duchy, but if you have the patients and drive; and possess the ability to leave the drama in your mama's basement we can get it done.

Speaking of drama, I reminded myself of griefing. It needs to be stabbed in the jugular or it will turn a solid foundation into a wet paper bag due to its butterfly effect. I'm a firm believer that people who have a tendency to create grief aren't going to be worth what they can bring to a county's economy. That's my opinion of course, but a committee can tell me I'm wrong if/when the griefers head out in their gem encrusted carriage looking for attention.

One last thing In addition to mayor/barons all the way down to laborers, I think having viscounts (read as vice count) would be beneficial. I'm looking for them and can offer free land to the right individual(s). This person(s) would be level-headed, diplomatic, mature, articulate, easy to work with and have the ability to bring coherent ideas to the committee table in a productive way. In short, the right person(s) would demonstrate professionalism in all aspects. This is not to say you can't be yourself, but rather have a good sense of when and when not too.

If you're interested either post here or send a private message. Let's buckle down, roll up our sleeves and hammer Kheg County out.

Kind regards,

Count Zii Ryph

Kheg-Fourm-banner-Solaris-Confed.jpg Link to recruitment post If you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste.
Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste.

11/10/2018 6:33:21 PM #1

I really like this ideas Kheg, and believe that we should have a development committee. I think it's important that we setup a discord soon for additional ease of communication. I personally don't know much about the domain/kingdom selection since I don't own land in-game yet, but I believe that with your assessment of the size of the biomes that if a map is chosen with Rocky Mountains and Taiga adjacent to each other then locating right at the border would be the best of both worlds. If we can do the and locate at the mouth of a river that's even better.

As things start becoming set in stone for the county we will need laws, taxes, and a chamber of commerce to help push the openness of the county to businesses and trade. I would like to see a market in the main city of the county where people come to trade with each other.

As they say if you build it, they will come.

11/12/2018 7:33:32 PM #2

I agree that locating at the edge of a biome is a good strategy so that you can have a wider choice of trade. I agree with the chamber of commerce to. This must happen as well as a county market.

What laws or types of laws are you thinking we might need at the county level? It seems any law we create, if in conflict with a duchy law or kingdom law would just get superseded. This is not to say that we shouldn't consider writing any of our own laws though.

With as small as the duchies are in the RMS and Talga biomes and as large as Vornair is, I think the chance of us getting to establish Kheg County in one of them is very little. Maybe the counties are tiny too in order to allow several counts to help build one duchy, but it's a concern.

So looking forward to seeing what map we will use.

Count of Kheg

Kheg-Fourm-banner-Solaris-Confed.jpg Link to recruitment post If you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste.

11/13/2018 4:26:41 AM #3

Kheg I think you might be misunderstanding the land pick process, you can't end up in a county you do not desire because you pick it independently. Your not restricted to picking land only in the Kingdom of Duchy you are associating with as these player associations are entirely out of game.

The only real danger is if you place somewhere uninvited/unknown to the Duke and are considered hostile, but that's really only an issue crossing Kingdom lines, if you were a count in Vornair and wanted to wait till Duchy placement to decide where to place your county no one would have any problem with. Even if you had initially planned for one Duchy and had to bail from it due to incompatible Biome/Terrain this is a normal thing that Vornair anticipates and we would seek to reassign you to an appropriate Duchy.

Furthermore, you CAN be assured that Adam, the Vornair king will get the Biome he wants, he will pick his Kingdom and then immediately pick his Duchies and his counties. Unless another King wins the lottery and dumps a ton of $$$ on the game this is a lock. I'm certain Adam will pick some Rocky Mountain Steep land (he has 3 Duchies after all) and their would likely be a great need for infrastructure (particularly roads, tunnels and fortifications) in that area.

Other Dukes will then pick, but Vornair dose extensive planning so where people place is highly predictable. Other Duchies in Vornair like Aritaur and Stormlands are planning for mountains too, they pick after Adam and are likely to get Alpine biome. You should join the Vornair discord and talk with Adam and the Dukes directly.

And by all means DO continue recruiting for your county, this is the best way.

Seneschal for the Hrothi County of Iskar, Recruiter for the Duchy of Aritaur

https://discord.gg/qRQ3Zj6

11/13/2018 9:00:18 PM #4

if you were a count in Vornair and wanted to wait till Duchy placement to decide where to place your county no one would have any problem with. Even if you had initially planned for one Duchy and had to bail from it due to incompatible Biome/Terrain this is a normal thing that Vornair anticipates and we would seek to reassign you to an appropriate Duchy.

This is very helpful. Thank you

11/27/2018 12:05:49 AM #5

My original post has been edited to reflect considerable changes brought on by map N being the winner. Originally, I wanted to place Kheg County in the mountains, but the lack of actual mountains makes this problematic. Therefore, I've looked for other hilly or rocky terrain for the many elevation changes that it would bring throughout Kheg County. With that said there has been considerable changes to Plan B.

Plan B is now focused on finding a duchy/kingdom in either the broad leaf forest or the arid desert.

12/6/2018 11:56:35 PM #6

Just a tiny update...

As of now the focus of biome is on:

1. Broad Leaf

2. Semi-Arid Desert

3. Shrublands

I still have an interest in the Rocky Mt. Steppe and Alpine Forest biomes, but the lack of actual mountains has pushed me to look elsewhere for either hilly, rocky or eroded terrain. Kheg County is getting closer to finding a kingdom though.

Due to the map's biome configurations, there are six 3 km x 3 km locations I believe to have ultra high potential in becoming trade hubs and my decisions are directly and heavily influenced by these configurations. There are many other locations with high potential, but I believe it is these six that have the most potential. However, regarding the sixth one, I have no interest in it due to a biome that it sits at. With that said, I list four plans below.

Plan A is locate into one of two locals of Kingdom #3's Broad Leaf Forest.

Plan B is to locate into a specific local in Kingdom #4's Semi-Arid Desert.

Plan C is to locate into a specific local in Kingdom #3's Shrublands

Plan D is to locate into a different local in Kingdom #4's Semi-Arid Desert.

All of the above plans would be hinged upon knowing where each kingdom locates so until all of that is determined, Kheg County is at a stand still. In an attempt to keep options open and create our own destiny, Kheg County is weighing all options so once the kingdoms and kingdom locations have been sorted out, we'll can then look into finding a duchy or wait until the dukes/duchesses have selected their duchy and see what matches up with the five locations mentioned above.

So what exactly is written in stone so far?

Server: Luna

County name: Kheg

County seat: Khegridge

Family/Surname: Ryph

Noble house: House Ryph (likely to be a construction association)

*Home biome: TBD

*Kingdom: TBD

*Duchy: TBD

*Tribe: TBD

*Will all be largely be determined in the kingdom selection process once the picks have been made by our kings/queens

Personal game interests:

• Urban planning. As Count of Kheg, my goal is to achive productive intercounty connectivity. Intercounty connectivity would be infrastructure and urban planning conducted between Kheg County and it's neighboring counties regardless of duchy or kingdom. I'm commited to see that Kheg County becomes synonomous with trade.

• As Mayor of Khegridge, my goal is to see that it becomes a trading capital. Not necessarily become a captial city in land size, but really just to become synonimous with trade.

• It is my great interest in making both Kheg County and its county seat very commerce oriented that led me to make my profession construction. I want to build the infrastructure that fledgling entrepreneurs need in order to be as productive and profitable as possible.

Count Z. I. Ryph of Kheg

12/7/2018 10:35:24 PM #7

A big update...

Yesterday I ran across Violet Winterlynn's post regarding a gentleman's agreement of what king will take ownership of which specific kingdom. Knowing who is going to be the owner of the Broad Leaf Forest has now led me to try and become a subject in the Kingdom of Alesia. I got confirmation from the queen today that Kheg County has been accepted into the Kingdom of Alesia. It is going to be sort of hard to give up my hopeful plans on heading up a county on an actual mountain, but the combination of both the Kingdom of Alesia and the Broad Leaf Forest being joined, it suits me very well.

With some research done on some of the duchies of Alesia, I can say that I'm set on settling in the biome of the Broad-Leaf Forest.

With all of the developments over the past 48 hours, plans have changed a great deal.

So what exactly is written in stone as of now?

EVERYTHING! ...well almost everything. The only unknown is what duke/duchess to try and woo.

If you have an interest in settling in a fledgling county in the Broad-Leaf Forest, here is your chance to have a say in what duchy you have a preference for.

Server: Luna Kingdom: Alesia Home Biome: TBD (hopefully the Broad-Leaf Forest) Duchy: TBD Name: Zii Iifore Ryph
County: Kheg County seat: Khegridge Profession: Construction with a main focus on infrastructure.
Noble house: House Ryph (a construction association.) Tribe: TBD

Personal game interests:
Urban planning. As Count of Kheg, my goal is to achieve productive intercounty connectivity. Intercounty connectivity would be infrastructure and urban planning conducted between Kheg County and it's neighboring counties regardless of duchy or kingdom. I'm committed to see that Kheg County becomes synonymus with trade.
As Mayor of Khegridge, my goal is to see that it becomes a trading capital. Not necessarily become a capital city in land size, but really just to become synonymus with trade. It is my great interest in making both Kheg County and its county seat very commerce oriented that led me to make my profession construction. I want to build the infrastructure that entrepreneurs need in order to be as productive and profitable as possible.

Count Zii Ryph of Kheg,