COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
Oaths

Intro

As Map selection is in its final phase we can assume that pledging to a respective King, Duke, or Count will be soon arriving. I thought it would be great to take a look at some Oaths of Loyalty and Fealty to help spark ideas for what we might like to use for our own groups.

Example of Historical Oaths

"I promise on my faith that I will in the future be faithful to the lord, never cause him harm and will observe my homage to him completely against all persons in good faith and without deceit."

"Here do We swear by mouth and hand, to serve and protect the Crown and Kingdom of Caid, to uphold the Law of this land, to confirm all the ancient privileges of its peerage, and to serve its people always. Faith and truth will We bear unto these, Our subjects of Caid, in all matters concerning this Realm, until We depart from the throne, or death take Us, or the world end. So say We, N."

Examples of Fictional Oaths

"BRIENNE: Lady Sansa, I offer my services once again. I will shield your back and keep your counsel and give my life for yours if need be. I swear it by the old gods and the new.

SANSA: And I vow that you shall always have a place by my heart and meat and mead at my table. And I pledge to ask no service of you that might bring you dishonor. I swear it by the old gods and the new. Arise."

"Upon my honor I do swear undying loyalty to the Emperor, Titus Mede II, and unwavering obedience to the officers of his great Empire, May those above take me, and those below judge me, if I fail in my duty, Long live the Emperor, long live the Empire"

Thoughts

Almost all of these reference swearing by a higher power so I am going to keep that in mind and adjust it to fit the tribes religion for example "I swear by the seven virtues" for the Vitori or "By the Two Fold Queen" for Waerd and Dras. Waerd could even swear by their people. To'Resk could swear by the Qin or the honor of their house. Faedin could swear by the specific spirits they worship or their ancestors. Anyone could swear by their personal honor if they are either non religious of a different religion. I hope that this has been some help to get the creative juices flowing and that a lot of swearing will ensue.

11/17/2018 3:09:51 PM #1

So what if you swear an oath and your lord becomes a peasant?

The nicest pig in the world and a little cute.

11/17/2018 3:20:55 PM #2

Posted By Thecutepig at 07:09 AM - Sat Nov 17 2018

So what if you swear an oath and your lord becomes a peasant?

Case by case basis piggy.

If he is a Mayor and his Count becomes a peasant then it would be best for him and his settlement to be loyal to the new Count.

Were he the Counts personal guard though? It would certainly be a fun story having his guard leave the County with him as he swore loyalty not to the seat but the person.

OP! This is certainly a topic of recent discussion for me. We were talking in my community about showcasing our fealty to a house via a tattoo if the mechanics will allow.

My instant apprehension stems from whether my Dras Alchemist that is a devout tifa will be ok with a tattoo.

Looking forward to this discussion.