COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SELENE GENERAL
Selene's maps points of interest and naming them

So, other Servers have done wonderful things with their maps while working on them to help decide which would be the best for them, and i tried to do something in that line but i lack their talent and skill so i ended up only pointing remarquable elements or features of each of our maps.

I ended up with a bunch of numbers, too many for me to name. from my point of view our maps range between 40 something and 60 something points of interest.

I'd really like to invite you all to discuss the points i selected, help me see those i might have overseen, i am as partial as any one and might have paid more interest to some maps than others, and of course try to find names for them, big lake 6 and snowy mountain 4 are kind of not sexy.....

Edited with the new rendered maps which increase the number of point of interest a lot, nearly doubling it.

Map B {115}

Map C {106}

Map L {88}

Map P {89}

Map Q {125}

I had no rule to decide what was of interest or not, but i followed some guidlines, large mountains, long rivers or shasm, large lakes or lots of lakes in an area, coastal features like jagged coast or estuaries, gulfs, caps and northern and southern points.... those are what i tried to find and point.

I think that a rich map with lots of interesting points to anchor stories and adventures is more important than political considerations as the political landscape we have now will probably not survive domain selection, is unlikely to survive KoE and will definitely disappear past expo, while the map and its features of interest will stay for ever.

11/10/2018 12:55:27 PM #1

Mhh. I really like what you are doing but I'd rather wait until the final map is selected. Otherwise we will have a lot of lost effort.

That being said, if we were to end up with map L I sincerely hope people will make maps terming #85 (#29 before you updated maps) the Dragon's Head peninsula :-)

TBD, Count of The Metheglin Meadows in Iyandolin, 🌷Kingdom of Al-Khezam 🌷, Selene

11/10/2018 1:56:29 PM #2

Tops for you Markof. I have no graphical capabilities whatsoever. My Photoshop is collecting dust on my hard drive.

I personally am interested for the Duchy above point 40 on map C. That seems like a perfect place to start my metropolis. It has heavy bush and swamp all around it with a single entrance. The Janoa from the south have an easy way to get in, but all others have to find a way all around the bush to get there. I have tried to enhance it, but it did'nt get any clearer than that.

Further I really like surprises, and hate to find things out before I didn't even had a chance to explore.

You got a "like" from me :)

11/10/2018 2:11:46 PM #3

Yes, I like the idea, but too much lost work done in vain if at the end we have only 1 map left. Might as well wait for the final one to do this.

Well, unless this thread real point was to prove that some maps as more interesting than others. By showing that some have more « points of interests » than others. 🤷‍♂️

11/10/2018 5:20:22 PM #4

B48 a perfect place for a pilgrims site for the Order of the Flame of Hope where pilgrims from all over the elyrian world can worship whoever they believe in...

House Pyrros

11/10/2018 5:52:40 PM #5

Posted By Scipion at 6:20 PM - Sat Nov 10 2018

B48 a perfect place for a pilgrims site for the Order of the Flame of Hope where pilgrims from all over the elyrian world can worship whoever they believe in...

It's a spot where three Kingdoms come together. Seems like a great spot for a gathering. I hope we can keep the peace there without any soldiers present. That should be possible. The To'resk people of Balmore are nothing if not respectful for religions and believes.

11/11/2018 11:48:05 AM #6

Switched to the new rendered maps and added tons of points now visible.

every map gained from 40 to 60 points of interest, but map L and P are still the poorest of our maps falling short of 90 points, map Q and P staying our more bountiful maps in the 120 points league.

The Dras and To'resk lands have been "revamped" and show the wonders of their coasts and even a few islands, the mixed leaf forest got also boosted with very interesting coastal features catching up with the taiga , an impressive feat knowing that the taiga got upped quite a bit itself.

But the most impressive addition on the new maps are the rivers, long, snakelike rivers that were not visible before, and those are quite impactful on several maps.

Those new rendered maps changed things quite a bit for me and i have now a new fondness for a map that i deemed unfitting before.

The new number of points make it also unrealistically feasible to name them all on every map and i have, with a sad heart, to accept the idea advanced here by several people to wait for the Selene server's map to be released before we start that task.

11/12/2018 10:08:35 AM #7

Posted By markof at

I think that a rich map with lots of interesting points to anchor stories and adventures is more important than political considerations as the political landscape we have now will probably not survive domain selection, is unlikely to survive KoE and will definitely disappear past expo, while the map and its features of interest will stay for ever.

Just want to highlight this.

Just can´t stress this enough!

The map and it´s features is what we stick with all the way we might go on Elyria! Shortsighted considerations for kingdoms and ingame politics or even "initial" in-game plans (which must be vague, still, because there is no game yet) should .n o t. play the dominating, major role for map considerations, imo.

Thank you for promoting this!

I would like to add, that we, the ones now pledged and the few of them, who are voting, are not the only ones, who might play on the Map, we will choose. The map needs to be appealing for possible future supporters and players of the game, as well - even more, if we want to see the game succeed! As we are given a choice, usualy made by developers, nonetheless this choice might were given with an intent, we should not view this choice solely from a player view >or even< in-game character desires! If, then for the desires of characters and players as a whole in addition to others not less important factors.

I find the river delta around the 30s on Map L very appealing, the shrubland coastline around the 70s, am curious about the bog coastline. Not the mention the fjord 53 or the penninsula with it tripple bays 87, even the whole desert location.. and many other spots.

I can find on all maps interesting spots. ~~But interestingly, B - terrain wise the least appealing to me - seem to have got a more sorrow look and more generous marks from you, while similar spots on other Maps, yes, in paticular my favorite Map L, are missing marks for quite similar features.~~

I deem Map L the "Best Balance", regarding a more wholesome look, of interesting biome-distribution, appealing shapes while, good imaginable authentic flow of landscapes and still considerating not-too-silly kingdom borders. Otherwise, without considering the relative volatile borders, even Map P, Q and C would be more interesting than the here high POI counting one, imo. I might hint some more POI on my precious "Map L" , if i get to it.

Thanks you, for this overview, and again, for pointing at the more valuable factors for map considerations!

11/12/2018 10:49:30 AM #8

@dada i know i am partial and i must have overlooked interesting features on the maps i like less, i tried hard not to, but the numbers are there as proof that i am partial.

So please, if you have points you'd like me to add on any map, especially map L feel free to write them here or PM me, i'll do my best to add them on the map tonight when i come back home.

11/12/2018 8:23:14 PM #9

Well, ok.. After a more sorrow look, and in specific in view of comparison with your criteria, i have to admit, apart from minor rivers, lakes or mountains, which might not meet the criteria, there isn't really much left. Maybe, some transitional features, special flows and forms of terrain, border forming features, but overall, i guess, i did you wrong.

You have done a good job!