COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
What is aimed to be the Rate of progression?

Context:

In older games like EverQuest, you'll find yourself crafting the same bronze daggers over and over again until you learn how to make better stuff. But I really mean over and over again. Getting to a level where you can craft something actually useful to you is often far and beyond what the average player is willing to go through. It doesn't have to be the Masamune blade but it shouldn't be completely useless to anyone who might want to buy from a blacksmith. Who makes a business on constructing worthless items?

Versus a game like Star Wars Galaxies had a strong progression tree of rare items and quality constructions. It was simple enough to acquire the skill necessary to perform the deed and you could find cheap low quality items throughout the auction house. But there were also those rare, finely crafted items that were worth millions despite being the same weapon. Complex items were available at higher tiers but they were more for higher tier professions and didn't exactly grant a boon to a lower end newcomer. So the economy maintained a health relationship between the paupers and the proud.

Question:

Which is Elyria aimed at? Will we be constructing an infinite number of useless materials that serve as little more than a drain on our wallets? Or will items serve a functional purpose once made beyond deconstructing for raw materials to continue going?

11/18/2018 10:07:52 PM #1

That's really hard to say because I don't think developers design systems around being a complete waste of time. Whether or not the product of a craftsman is a completely useless throwaway depends on how much demand there will be on stuff they produce and how much will be readily available for sale from NPCs. Impossible to say right now. A lot of this is going to end up having to be balance tested during pre-release phases.

But they are definitely going for a 'hardcore' experience. Judge for yourself:

Crafting Redux

Economies are likely to be very localized given the difficulty of travel so that will help with the demand side of things. People in settlements will have to rely on their local tradesmen for the things they need.

Furthermore, nobody will be able to get to the pinnacle of their profession in one lifetime, so on that basis you can also get an idea of the design mindset at work here.

11/18/2018 11:23:07 PM #2

First let me say the link Hieronymus posted for the Crafting Redux post is the most current post on crafting, and you should definitely give it a thorough read.

Crafting is not going to be traditional at all. In Chronicles of Elyria you are going to be able to keep pumping out daggers if you want to, and your main return is going to be you get better at making daggers.

Likewise if you are "grinding" your blacksmith skill making hundreds of nails you aren't going to suddenly know how to make a good dagger.

As far as having something be useful later, you can deconstruct something into it's basic parts and recycle the materials in order to remake it again. As far as will your first knife maintain usefulness as you get better at making knives? No probably not. At least not without spending effort making it more useful.

11/19/2018 4:45:19 AM #3

As soon as you reach novice (I think) you’ll produce goods useful enough to be worth selling. Much like in real life you didn’t need to be a master to sell things. It’s not like other MMOs where everything is crap except the top tier items.

As Labbe said, items can be recycled, as items and materials are limited. And if you create a knife, you’ll on,y increase your skill in making knives (in fact, you’re actually making components, so more specifically if you make blades you’ll get better at making blades, especially blades of that type and material. You won’t however suddenly be skilled at making horseshoes or something unrelated (Although you may have a little of experience working with the type of metal).

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

11/19/2018 8:23:46 AM #4

Here is the latest journal on crafting I could find. It will explain alot. Hope it helps Sorry you will have to cut and paste it wont let me post a link https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/24679/design-journal-crafting-redux#post276768

Divide et Impera

11/19/2018 3:19:03 PM #5

Posted By Focii at 03:23 AM - Mon Nov 19 2018

Here is the latest journal on crafting I could find. It will explain alot. Hope it helps Sorry you will have to cut and paste it wont let me post a link https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/24679/design-journal-crafting-redux#post276768

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/24679/design-journal-crafting-redux#post276768

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

11/19/2018 3:54:52 PM #6

Adding onto everything that's been said, failing to craft something will also give you experience towards (I assume) crafting that item. So failing is just another step towards success.

Since there are a finite amount of resources making an infinite amount of daggers would be next to impossible and be a huge waste of resources. So my guess for the way you improve is how efficient you as a player become as a smith by learning the timing and hand eye coordination needed for the craft and in how you perfect the use of the certain recipe you are using.

Also, most people won't really have a use for a "powerful" dagger/weapon, when a basic iron or whatever material weapon could prove just as useful in the hands of a competent player.

11/19/2018 4:02:31 PM #7

Its worth remembering that a high level item in CoE isn't like a high level item in most other games.

I'm other games you craft a sword and it gives you +3 damage etc, in coe its just as likely a high tier sword works as well as a low one but is less durable or looks more basic.

11/19/2018 4:29:33 PM #8

@OP when you make a item you gain experience in that type of item\ component.

You do not need to spend time crafting items you have no interest in. As mentioned above you craft components e.g: Blades, Handel, Pommel in order to be a master sword-smith you will need to master, Blades (Smiting), Handel's (Carpentry), ..

You can then experiment and swap out components and maybe discover a new type of item\ style.

Your quality is directly influenced by your skill as a smith\ handle maker.

So in theory your "low level" item could be better quality then someone with higher skill if you are better at the craft.

Hope that helps.