COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
How do you Pick a settlement ?

My fellow Elyrian's, For some time i have been troubled with the looming decision to come. Domain and settlement selection,
I know that sometime in the near future i will be requested to pick my settlement within a county, that's right i'm a pledged Mayor,

i am confident my kingdom will be K6 come selection meaning as a Mayor my strong options will be Janoa or To-resk and possibly Dras ( somewhere on the borders ).

So i now know my biome will be Tropical Wetlands or Tropical Rain forest, or a micro biome hybrid of some sort around the biome borders,

now taking into consideration the next part of this post, how can we make an informative decision such as our starting settlement without know these basic things.

Biomes - Architecture & housing - The resources in a biome play the largest part in determining the architecture and structure types of a tribe Ecology - The biome dictates what food is available, which indirectly determines how players go about gathering food Technology - Necessity is the mother of invention, and nothing drives necessity more than a tribe's biome Sieging - The environment, such as the density of trees and the softness of the ground dictates what type of siege equipment is usable, and thus what kinds of defenses are required Settlements - Each biome provides its own challenges and access to food and water. This necessarily impacts how large a settlement can be. Transportation - As with sieging, the biome has a dramatic impact on transportation modes used by the different tribes

unless i am mistaken there are no answers to any of the above with regards to my two possible biomes. Tropical Rainforest Tropical Wetlands

are we to gamble on such topics and hope for the best ?

will more specific biome and tribe details become available to us before we make probably the biggest decisions in this game we ever would, such as tribe and biome,

i think such information like, i'd like to know how dense is the brush & woods are around my settlements, am i in a good hunting area. i'd like to know if i pick this biome and this settlement, i can breed these animals and grow these crops or herbs, in my biome what are the best defence options what siege could be bought to my settlement, if i pick Janoa what are my transport options for travel and goods trade travelling,

I've watched every Q&A, read every Dev j or DJ and announcement, checked out all the wiki pages, and cannot seem to find theses answers for a specific biome over than a selected few, neither of mine however.

something like the following for all the starting biomes would be beneficial to many imo.

---Lower Montane: The lower Montane is a higher elevation with cooler temperatures. It has warm, dry summers and cool wet winters. It has slightly acidic soils so it works best with fruits, vegetables, and grains that do better in slightly acidic soil.

---Mixed Leaf forests biome is a transitional biome that typically lies between a deciduous and coniferous forest, or between a coniferous forest and warmer steppe biomes. Mixed Leaf forests do better with fruits and vegetables that require less light, less acidity, and similar weather patterns to the lower Montane steppes. They are common location to grow roots, mushrooms, nuts, and honey, as well as tree fruits such as apples. The Mixed Leaf can be thought of as ideal biome for orchards and vineyards as well.

---Grasslands: The grasslands have the least acidity in the soil, and so are a great place for fruits, vegetables, and grains that require a higher alkalinity. They do well with corn, wheat - really any stalk-based vegetable, fruit and nut orchards, and plants that require more light. It's good for watermelon, and cantaloupe, strawberries, and other moss-like, ground-cover fruits. The open plains of the grasslands also make a great food source for many forms of grazing animals. So grasslands are among the most popular for raising cattle. Cows, horses, etc.(edited) Continued....

And broadleaf is good for mushroom and berries? I'm sure the animals eat them in the forest? Nuts too? Caspian: Broadleaf is great for mushroom, berries, honey, roots, and herbs. Caspian, would you say that you could grow other things in those 3 biomes that aren't necessarily the most optimal for those biomes?

Caspian: Yes. With a bit of help on the soil, so long as it's got the right biome cycle, lighting, etc. it's possible to grow stuff in other biomes. The Lower Montane, Broad Leaf, and Mixed Leaf can all grow similar stuff if you clear away parts of the forest and treat the soil.

Am i alone in thinking that soon we will be asked to make some very big decisions based on limited knowledge of our potential surroundings ?

MANY HANDS MAKE LIGHT WORK ( just forward thinking ) ( possibly to much )

11/19/2018 8:54:32 PM #1

In Soviet Elyria, Settlement picks You.

11/19/2018 9:00:34 PM #2

I am very interested in this as well because I haven't decided whether I want to play as the mayor title I've purchased or sell my title for EP

I would also like to have a better understanding of settlement management. I feel like we know very little about settlement management and what that will look like other than vague assurances that "it will only be a few hours a week".......

Hope it helps...

11/19/2018 9:08:44 PM #3

We have biome information. The tribe information tells us what biomes they live in and what they eat and how they get food.

In terms of tech, there will be life before we get there. There will be bare tech needed live. The game does have a discovery system, so telling us everything seems to downplay that system.

11/19/2018 9:38:55 PM #4

From what we know it should be simple to make a choice, look at the resources the tribes have access to do and then think about how that goes into everything...I know its not perfect but we shouldnt need all this detail some are demanding. Make an informed decision based off the information you have.

I have pledged to Ashland>Sanctaphandri>Loc Mir I will create a large Janoan population in my barony regardless of where my Kingdom, Duchy or County ends up geographically. The only thing that will force me to switch duchies or counties is my desire to be on an international border, beyond that I dont care where I end up but I do care about what I play as.

My advice is to try and not get hung up on the details. Just find out the few things you really want and make them happen. If you want to build a stone castle in a rain forest well then import stone. If you want steel weapons then import steel. Dont worry so much about what you literally start with settlement wise. I will gladly start in a hamlet if it means i get what I want.

Best of Luck to you

11/19/2018 10:27:59 PM #5

Posted By BaderWray at

are we to gamble on such topics and hope for the best ?

Your points of concern are hard to address with concrete answers without seeing live mechanics, but I think your question above is a good one.

I would say yes, make a gamble. Come up with a criteria of things you look for and decide based on what political/regional block meets most of that criteria. Try to build your wishlist around features that are likely to survive a live game environment and for now disregard all of your edge case features (tribe interactions, precise growing environments, forest density, etc). Otherwise you might fall into a trap of whataboutism.

In the end this is going to be a game, and the most important question to answer will be what gives you the most enjoyment for your dollar. My list was:

1. Is this Kingdom/County/Duchy intending to achieve things in game I am likely to enjoy?

2. Are they wanting to settle in an area I find aesthetically, economically, or defensively appealing?

3. Am I comfortable with their proposed restrictions? Do I feel like I will have the freedom to play the game more or less how I want?

4. Am I joining a group (at whatever political level) that I enjoy gaming with? <-This is probably one of the things I look for most. I am lax to join any group for any game if they don't regularly game together on some level. YMMV

11/19/2018 11:14:00 PM #6

what kingdom are you in

11/21/2018 2:45:34 PM #7

Thanks for your constructive responses everyone,
yes i should have said that i am already pledged to a kingdom, i thought my banner would have given that away.

i am a member of Arkadia, hoping for kingdom 6 come selection, so the Janoa & To-resk tribes and Tropicla rainforest and wertland biomes,

i just personally feel that biome information is lacking in so many areas as to what we can expect, and achieve, and i know its also a game of discovery, i think if you have a Mayor package or above and are entrusted to build and look after a settlement and community you'll need to know more than the Elyrian traveller or crafter or homesteader.

as previously stated maybe i'm expecting or asking to much, I'm also now aware that with Domain and settlement selection some resource and demographic information is given, but is it enough to build a business plan on ? is it enough for me to say my invested money will pay dividend here,

MANY HANDS MAKE LIGHT WORK.

11/21/2018 2:47:31 PM #8

Posted By MusaKn at 11:14 PM - Mon Nov 19 2018

what kingdom are you in

Arkadia