COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
More actual in-game footage?

Why isnt there more?

Everything seems to be shrouded in mystery hence my reservations if buying any package muchless higher $ packages. Ive seen the leaked footaged.

but from what im seen Im still not convinced it warrants $300+ which i wanted to do from the beginning from with the lack of video footage I feel like Im gambling.

11/20/2018 5:48:39 PM #1

A couple things to note.

The game is still very early in development, and most of the major systems aren't in. So there isn't quite as much to show.

There are quite a few clips strewn about the forums, which can often be hard to find. Difficulty finding and keeping track of these kinds of things has been a persistent problem.

The exclusive backers (10k+) do have a bit more information and more access to demonstrations of the development, most of which has not been leaked on you tube.

I think the most likely answer that you will hear from the dev team is that they would have to take time away from development to make videos and they do not have a big team so that would be more detrimental than what other studios may be able to do.

11/20/2018 6:03:27 PM #2

First

The long answer to why there isn't more game footage involves how SbS has described their approach to developing the game. They did it from the back end first, and now they are developing the front end.

Had they released tons of "game play footage" when the game was in it's most infant state, you could almost guarantee it would have been scripted and not real game play.

As it stands now SbS is slowly leaking things like fighting mechanics on the PreElyria client that are going to be the first stuff we get to try out as testers and players.

Second

Another thing to note is that it is still early, and it can be seen as a risk until something is released. If you want to wait until there is a solid product to look at that is your right, and in fact very many people are taking this stance.

This however is also why the developers highly value their oldest backers that are still around and active. They took a risk, and they continue to participate as the game starts to get molded before their eyes.

11/20/2018 6:24:11 PM #3

It's something that will eventually be remedied, but in the meantime, here's some work-in-progress footage developers shared on discord on 11/05/2018 that you may find interesting, if you haven't seen them already.

These use a different, lower resolution art style than what the final UE4 versions of the game will look like. So while it's not what you/we all want to eventually see, it's an interesting peek into what they are working on.

The Important Caveats

So expect something like this, only much much better. :D

And if you found this helpful, please leave a review!

11/20/2018 6:28:24 PM #4

Posted By BigWolf at

Why isnt there more?

Everything seems to be shrouded in mystery hence my reservations if buying any package muchless higher $ packages. Ive seen the leaked footaged.

but from what im seen Im still not convinced it warrants $300+ which i wanted to do from the beginning from with the lack of video footage I feel like Im gambling.

Short answer, every crowd funded MMO is a gamble. But its one most of us happily make hoping to find a long term game to play thats fun! Personally ive crowd funded about 3 games to date and none turned out hoping COE is different! If not i move on like i always do no biggie haha.

11/20/2018 11:42:25 PM #5

What I'd love to see is more info on the specifics of the of the game. Like of the items in the finished EP store exact amount of items in the ep packages, a grid system with sizing for the different buildings so let's players can maybe take some grid paper and try to plan out the possibilities of building a small town or village with other players without having to guess when we start. If the map is mostly done a zoomed in version of the map so we can plan out where we want to put our house/towns.i world like to be planning things out so we are ready when launch finally occur. also for those of us that have been with company for a while as I have since 2016 I would love it if they would reopen the alpha test as some of us may not of gotten it due to work or family issues but have been with the company for quite some time helping with promotions shaping the world and upgrade our donations and would like to see the game from alpha. I see you have raised over 6 million dollars are you thinking of Maybe hire extra people and double or Tripleing your team to get this game out launched hopefully by the beginning of the year? I personally would love start the year off getting into a game where we can all enjoy.

11/21/2018 12:12:43 AM #6

Posted By graytoni at 5:42 PM - Tue Nov 20 2018

What I'd love to see is more info on the specifics of the of the game. Like of the items in the finished EP store exact amount of items in the ep packages, a grid system with sizing for the different buildings so let's players can maybe take some grid paper and try to plan out the possibilities of building a small town or village with other players without having to guess when we start. If the map is mostly done a zoomed in version of the map so we can plan out where we want to put our house/towns.i world like to be planning things out so we are ready when launch finally occur. also for those of us that have been with company for a while as I have since 2016 I would love it if they would reopen the alpha test as some of us may not of gotten it due to work or family issues but have been with the company for quite some time helping with promotions shaping the world and upgrade our donations and would like to see the game from alpha. I see you have raised over 6 million dollars are you thinking of Maybe hire extra people and double or Tripleing your team to get this game out launched hopefully by the beginning of the year? I personally would love start the year off getting into a game where we can all enjoy.

Items in the EP store can only be used when the game is in Exposition. While it would be nice to have it, ultimately, it can wait until we are a lot closer to exposition than we are now. Thus, the specific items within the EP store will have to wait as well.

Alpha is closed to friends and family only. We are hoping soon that 10k backers will be able to get in. You haven't missed it.

We are only over the 5 million dollar mark.

Click banner to learn more. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

11/21/2018 12:39:42 AM #7

Mytype on the 6 mil. Glad to know I did not miss out on alpha thanks for clearing up the alpha 1 question.

11/21/2018 9:18:20 AM #8

@BigWolfe,

Everyone who has put money into this game is gambling, and most of us are quite aware of that.

You should not gamble if you cannot afford it or don't wish to.

11/23/2018 1:07:47 PM #9

Posted By Nkrumah at 12:28 PM - Tue Nov 20 2018

Posted By BigWolf at

Why isnt there more?

Short answer, every crowd funded MMO is a gamble. But its one most of us happily make hoping to find a long term game to play thats fun! Personally ive crowd funded about 3 games to date and none turned out hoping COE is different! If not i move on like i always do no biggie haha.

Im just getting older I would like one last game before i kick the bucket or get married lmao

11/23/2018 1:09:23 PM #10

Posted By BigWolf at 9:07 PM - Fri Nov 23 2018

Posted By Nkrumah at 12:28 PM - Tue Nov 20 2018

Posted By BigWolf at

Why isnt there more?

Im just getting older I would like one last game before i kick the bucket or get married lmao

Just gotta get a gaming partner and you'll be right :)

11/23/2018 2:15:25 PM #11

They should start showing more PreElyria stuff.
People will see there is a actual game and spend some money.

11/23/2018 5:29:02 PM #12

Posted By graytoni at 11:42 PM - Tue Nov 20 2018

I see you have raised over 6 million dollars are you thinking of Maybe hire extra people and double or Tripleing your team to get this game out launched hopefully by the beginning of the year? I personally would love start the year off getting into a game where we can all enjoy.

First off its 5m not 6m. Secondly thats really not that much money for a project like this. They already let people go a few months back to make the budgeting more sustainable (no idea about current staffing though) so to talk of tripling the team is complete cloud cuckoo land.

11/23/2018 6:02:55 PM #13

Posted By Watru at 12:15 AM - Sat Nov 24 2018

They will.

Main thing to remember is we're talking about a pre-alpha game. Alpha's close now, but the bones of the game have yet to be assembled into a functional skeleton. That skeleton needs to be there and have a bit of meat development going before they can start slicing off morsels for teaser/showcase footage.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

11/23/2018 6:18:00 PM #14

Posted By Wolfguarde at 7:02 PM - Fri Nov 23 2018

Posted By Watru at 12:15 AM - Sat Nov 24 2018

They will.

Main thing to remember is we're talking about a pre-alpha game. Alpha's close now, but the bones of the game have yet to be assembled into a functional skeleton. That skeleton needs to be there and have a bit of meat development going before they can start slicing off morsels for teaser/showcase footage.

I agree, to some degree take the images above.

Tell me that is not way more exciting and interesting then a armor concept that may or may not be.

Now seeing they have that type of "footage" even tough it is rough it is better to show something then nothing. Today's gamer are not stupid they recognize what it represents.

And that is good for everyone (hype + pledges = more Devs), lore and concepts was great a year ago. But you can clearly see\ feel the sentiment in the community is changing and wanting to see something more concrete.

Sure seem like it with all these threads pooing up at least. Since they have that type of footage why not show it? e.g: First NPC Interaction, First Contract, First everything will be a milestone by it self for the community and SbS and really fun to see more things like that as they are working there way trough 0.5.0

Would you not agree?

11/24/2018 6:43:23 AM #15

Oh, definitely. I just feel that, eager as we are, a lot of us are putting the cart before the horse. Everyone's excited for what's coming, but usually that sort of footage and content starts coming out toward late alpha/early beta (as far as I'm aware, at least). Another factor could be that showcasing footage/content progress at certain milestone points will have greater impact than doling it out slowly; I can see that being a factor, especially if they want to make a push for more pledges/general funding as alpha kicks off

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.