COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Coat of Arms, Sigils and Crests

I have some ideia of the defference between Coat of Arms, Sigils and Crests, but I'm not really sure the exact mean (especially with sigils).

Can anyone explain me the right definition of each of then? (I didn't found it in the internet)

If I become a mayor ingame, after the expostion, do I get a common crest (not expanded)?

If there is a post about it, send me the link pls.

11/22/2018 6:11:11 PM #1

Iosef has a better response D:

Look down for knowledge.

11/22/2018 8:00:26 PM #2

Sigils, in particular, are difficult to define. The word comes from Latin roots - sigillum (singular) or sigilli (plural). It traditionally refers to statuettes, seals, graven images or reliefs, or the impression left by a signet ring. Essentially it was a pictorial way of authentically representing a person, family, or organization. With the rise and spread of education, written signatures have largely taken over this role.

Since then, the popular use of sigils has been largely relegated to religious or spiritual symbology. Most sigils are understood to be images with inherited metaphysical properties. This has a root in the belief that the authentic name of something has a connection to, or even power over, the thing or person it names.

In this way both the older and the newer understandings are similar - each points towards recognizing the authority of names, even when the name is not a word, but a symbol.

Possibly, a good example of a sigil applies to the artist formerly known as "Prince":

Prince.png

(Whether you ascribe magical powers to his name is up to you!)

A Coat of Arms (from the French "cote a armer") technically refers to a surcoat which is emblazoned with a person's heraldic symbol. As suggested by the term "herald," the purpose of these designs is to announce who someone is.

These surcoats were most often worn in tournaments for the same reason that American Football players have their names on the back of their jerseys.

The heraldic tradition itself can be dated back to the 12th century, when high-ranking soldiers started to bear pictoral devices on their equipment to distinguish themselves from the common rabble in battle. Later, a tradition evolved in Western societies whereby monarchs could bestow the honor and priveledge to bear heraldic arms onto particularly worthy individuals.

coat-parts.png (Thanks for the image Wikipedia!)

From simple depictions of animals, a complex system of symbology arose - about which many books have been written, so I won't go into any detail here.

Lastly, concerning crests - it normally refers to a figure or adornment worn ontop of a helmet - again, to make it easier to distinguish who people are in a crowd. This tradition dates back to at least ancient Greece, where animal hair or feathers would be added to a commander's helmet to make them more visible. It evolved over time, and got.....well....rather ridiculous:

Cavalieredicasata.jpg

Nowadays, sigils, coat-of-arms, and crests are often used interchangably - leading to very understandable confusion. Hopefully my explanation makes a little more sense; at least from a historical perspective. How all this will be implemented in Elyria remains to be seen.

Healdwald

11/22/2018 8:18:54 PM #3

Thank you!

11/22/2018 8:26:37 PM #4

Actually Bombastus had a really good and detailed post on this. Check it out: Bombastus's guide to heraldry

11/22/2018 9:15:02 PM #5

Posted By Primus Dedumo at 2:26 PM - Thu Nov 22 2018

Actually Bombastus had a really good and detailed post on this. Check it out: Bombastus's guide to heraldry

Aye, Bombastus did a good job of breaking down the heraldic parts - and I expect that what we'll see implemented in Elyria will very closely match what he has written.

Well done indeed!

P.S.: I'd also recommend the International Heraldry & Heralds site if people want additional historical details. (It shows a nice variety of supporters)

Healdwald

11/23/2018 6:06:50 PM #6

What about my other question? Anyone know?

"If I become a mayor ingame, after the expostion, do I get a common crest (not expanded)?"

11/23/2018 6:10:54 PM #7

Although I haven't seen this confirmed, the obvious answer in my eyes is yes.

Your new crest will be a basic crest. If you do something extraordinary then you may earn expanded crests. People that are buying them before they get into game are just helping world build and it is assumed they did something extraordinary somewhere in their ancestral line.

11/23/2018 6:57:34 PM #8

Posted By Labbe at 12:10 PM - Fri Nov 23 2018

Although I haven't seen this confirmed, the obvious answer in my eyes is yes.

Your new crest will be a basic crest. If you do something extraordinary then you may earn expanded crests. People that are buying them before they get into game are just helping world build and it is assumed they did something extraordinary somewhere in their ancestral line.

I agree, and while I can't point to anything definitive either, I don't feel that access to heraldry should be too difficult in the game. I would assume that anyone with an official title (including mayor or baron) should be granted the right to commission and bear heraldic symbols.

As far as historical precedence, I can speak about my own family line. Two of my ancestors (entirely different generations) were granted the right to possess and display armorial bearings by the officers of arms under the authority of the English monarchy. However, to my knowledge, none of my ancestors were ever members of the aristocracy or nobility. We were merely a family of landed gentry - who occasionally sired some individuals honored for their service to the nobility.

I would certainly think that anyone attaining the title of mayor in the game is deserving of at least that honor - most likely they'd have access to at some of the extended options as well.

Again, this is reasoned speculation - not confirmation. Moreover, speaking as a count, I want my mayors to be successful and appropriately honored in the game. I'm more than willing to advocate on their behalf with my liege lords if necessary. I'd expect that most counts feel the same way.

Healdwald