COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Equally Able or are they just Broken?

hey guys another post here about (combat) the fairness of the starting traits the Janoans have, even though the Janoa has more of the skills to be a great fighter/skilled champion(Martial Arts, Agility), can the same be said about any other Gladiatorial tribes?

i'm asking because i want to know about the fairness of the starting ground, will every Jonoan character be broken, if you put the same effort in training with a Brudvir or Neran for example can you also attain to be a great fighter/skilled champion? or will the Janoans just beat anybody on the same level with them be it Master or novice just because they are made more for combat?

i want to believe that no matter the Character you have be it Brudvir, Janoa, Neran, if you train hard enough you can stand par with any equal no matter the trait diff. What i don't want to hear is doesn't matter how equal you are in combat if it's a janoa you lose just because they are made for combat a bit better than all of the other tribes. Thank you

You shall hear my name across all of Elyria as the mightiest of mann, Tantris.

12/5/2018 2:40:50 AM #1

Neither and that's just fine.

Informed conjecture ahead:

Brudvir get close in all but Agility. But! Personal character and player skills will be everything.

Neran are too light weight overall imho (welter even, standing @ 174cm /5'8.5")

The real competition for the Janoa (again imho ;-)) are the future and once Owem, the Lions of the Savannah (and prairies).

Labbe's Great Points Follow ;-)

Imgur

12/5/2018 2:47:03 AM #2

If you want theory craft, then I can give you that. No one can say for sure as we haven't tested these mechanics yet, but we can get a good idea based on how stuff is likely to play out.

I would say Janoa, and Brudvir are the foremost Fighting types. Hrothi and Neran close on their heels.

Janoa have the advantage of strength, but the disadvantage of pride. A pride that has gotten them wearing tigers on their heads instead of steel.

Brudvir have an advantage of strength as well as they hunt to survive. If they don't catch the dryas elk out there in the taiga then their village starves because frankly their environment is pretty inhospitable.

The Neran and Hrothi both have maybe lesser strength, but the Neran are adaptable and the Hrothi are sturdy. And both of them have higher technological advances as far as war-faring with better arms and armor, and more advanced steel.

The Dras and Kypiqs I see fighting more intelligently, so if we are talking a duel in an arena, definite disadvantage. If we are talking war, I would take the clever side over the brawny side any day. What good is steel when you are dead before you see your enemies.

The To'resk... Meh. I know nothing about any combat capabilities they might have, but I get the impression they are more barter and less bite.

TLDR: When it comes to war, I say balanced. When it comes to an arena fight, or a duel, Janoa have a good advantage.

12/5/2018 3:37:25 AM #3

I honestly don't think being a Janoa will automatically win you all fights since the combats will be personnal skill based, it won't matter wether you are a Janoa or a Brudvir as long as you put time and effort in it.

Sure they may have advantages but nothing should make them too much stronger than any other tribes. I don't see the dev's making the combat unbalanced at a point where everyone would want to play a Janoa because they are broken.

12/5/2018 5:53:24 AM #4

Only the Neran are really suited to be horse riding knights, the dominant military type of the medieval age. The Janoa and Brudvir are superior individual warriors and strongest in their particular biomes. The Waerd, Kypiq and Dras all have poison and traps for defense. No one is going to beat Hrothi in caves, but they will have trouble in the open. To'resk talk their way out of situations, but if that fails, time to bite and run. Vive la difference.

12/5/2018 6:42:45 AM #5

I don't know why people think Janoa are stronger than Brudvir. The Brudvir write up literally specifically states that the Brudvir are more muscular than the Janoa. It is... it is stated. Ever since the write ups came out people have had this idea that the Janoa are stronger, but that makes no flippin' sense. The Janoa are faster and more agile. I mean... look at their bodies. The art isn't just cosmetic.

Unlike the Janoa, their height comes with significant muscle on both the upper and lower body,

As far as skills are concerned there is no reason that anyone should have an issue building up skills over time. Tribal and cultural dispositions may have effects on the rate of progression and the level you start at. However, even a Kypiq should be able to learn to be just as skilled as a Brudvir or Janoa. If a truly skilled Kypiq were to fight a novice from any other tribe the novice would be destroyed, that's my impression of the information we have so far.

Given equal skill and equal terrain every tribe should lose in a slug fest with a Brudvir. Pound for pound they should have more damage output than anyone else. A smart Brudvir would wear heavy armor maneuver the Janoa into a corner and beat him down to a bloodstain. If you are a Janoa you're a hunter, don't face him head on, you're faster than the Brudvir and can hit him from range or flank him with a buddy. That is given equal skill, equipment, terrain.

Which brings me to my final point. I think that generally speaking one on one fights will not be too common. Janoa, Brudvir, and Neran should utilize strategies and tactics that play to their strengths. Neran, superior numbers to overwhelm their enemies in manpower and manufacturing. Janoa, superior ambushers using favorable terrain to lure in and destroy enemies. Brudvir superior power to strike targets hard and leave before any retaliation can be mounted.

When it comes to one on one fights player skill and luck play such an enormous role that playing any particular tribe is no silver bullet to combat, although I can't recommend the Kypiq. There are no damage sink health bars in Elyria. IRL it doesn't matter how tough you are, if I stick a foot long sword in your gut you are done. It won't be quite that brutal in Elyria, but it won't be far off either. Theoretically any tribe could have a chance against any other tribe (all other factors being equal). Although it is obvious that some would have a clear edge over others this isn't a 100% guarantee for anybody. If all other factors are equal then I have to say Brudvir have an edge in one on one fights even if only a slight one.

12/5/2018 3:14:18 PM #6

This may have been touched on by some others, but I want to go into a bit more detail...

You are making, in my opinion, the default MMO PvP mistake of only examining the viability of something in a 1v1 scenario.

Based on what we know, yes, Janoa are likely to be great fighters, and excel in 1v1 combat - I am fairly confident that Caspian has specifically said this.

That being said, how relevant is "1v1" combat going to be in CoE? How important is that skill in the battlefield, or in siege attack/defense, or in almost an situation where it isn't just mano-a-mano?

Now, I understand that your post was specifically about whether Janoans might be "OP" in that particular circumstance. However, I have no issue with a particular tribe excelling in one small area of physical combat, but being ill-suited for others.

So, in closing...

No.

No, if every tribe is supposed to have strengths and weaknesses, then I don't think other tribes should be able to get to the same peak as a Janoan in 1v1 combat out of some misguided attempt to create "fairness".

1-on-1 combat is their "thing". Other tribes have other "things". I wouldn't want their "thing" to be homogenized either.

Imgur