COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
21:9 monitor support?

I have searched but didn't find anything information if they will support 21:9 ultra-wide monitors? I just didn't want the black side borders but full screen.

12/5/2018 5:43:44 PM #1

Oh, nevermind.

12/5/2018 6:20:02 PM #2

Posted By Ilyria at 10:43 AM - Wed Dec 05 2018

Oh, nevermind.

Am i missing something here?

12/5/2018 6:25:28 PM #3

Posted By mcurtis at 7:20 PM - Wed Dec 05 2018

Posted By Ilyria at 10:43 AM - Wed Dec 05 2018

Oh, nevermind.

Am i missing something here?

Nope, I though you wanted support. My bad. My English is not so good.

12/5/2018 6:47:01 PM #4

Ahh. No i was just curious if SBS was going to offer the game in that aspect ratio :)

12/6/2018 3:59:32 AM #5

I cannot answer the question.

There are basically two issues with providing such support. The first is whether Unreal Engine 4 supports it without introducing other problems. From what I've seen in 5 minutes of search, UE4 did have some problems with some aspect ratios, but I don't know what the current situation is.

The second issue is whether SBS visual assets will provide enough extra side imagery (pixels) to support it without losing important details to vertical truncation. Since the game world will presumably be modeled so as to provide a full sphere of visuals around any position in it, this issue is probably moot from SBS's point of view. The only remaining issue for SBS would seem to be whether they have the resources to ensure that UE4 supports all the aspect ratio options that they decide to enable through the CoE options setups.

The third issue is whether video cards and drivers support the aspect ratio. This again seems to relate more to their interaction with UE4 than with the CoE client-side software.

12/7/2018 3:15:01 AM #6

Posted By Poldano at 8:59 PM - Wed Dec 05 2018

I cannot answer the question.

There are basically two issues with providing such support. The first is whether Unreal Engine 4 supports it without introducing other problems. From what I've seen in 5 minutes of search, UE4 did have some problems with some aspect ratios, but I don't know what the current situation is.

The second issue is whether SBS visual assets will provide enough extra side imagery (pixels) to support it without losing important details to vertical truncation. Since the game world will presumably be modeled so as to provide a full sphere of visuals around any position in it, this issue is probably moot from SBS's point of view. The only remaining issue for SBS would seem to be whether they have the resources to ensure that UE4 supports all the aspect ratio options that they decide to enable through the CoE options setups.

The third issue is whether video cards and drivers support the aspect ratio. This again seems to relate more to their interaction with UE4 than with the CoE client-side software.

I appreciate your input here. They use both UE4 and Soulborn Engine for the primary game mechanics.

I know it can be done in UE4 but it's not native and can be a pain. To your point, it's if they dedicate the time to making it work.

To this comment i don't know if i agree or even fully understand what you are saying here. "The second issue is whether SBS visual assets will provide enough extra side imagery (pixels) to support it without losing important details to vertical truncation."

A 21:9 ratio and a 16:9 ratio is the same height. In this 1080p example, a common resolution of a 21:9 would be 2160 Wide x 1080 Tall and a 16:9 would be 1920 Wide x 1080 Tall. You aren't stretching pixels you are gaining pixels. In this case, 640 to be exact.

The video card will play on any size monitor. The higher the resolution, the more taxing it is on the gpu. You can take your video card and output it to a 80" tv if you wanted. It wouldn't look very good, but if the connections are there, you can do it.

In the end, it is going to boil down if the developers plan on supporting this as other game developers have done on the UE platform.

With Mac/Linux and VR support, i would think this aspect ratio would be on their radar. Ultra-wides are becoming more common so maybe not planned on release but possibly in future updates as engines mature.

12/12/2018 4:30:41 AM #7

I have to say that for me not having 21:9 support would be a no buy for me. Just about all the games I play now support it. Elderscrolls Online plays wonderfully in the 21:9 ratio. I play on a 3440x1440.