COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
PVE

I have been a follower of the concept of Chronicles of Elyria since almost day 1. I was even about to buy a 10K package when the news came out its gonna be open world PvP (basically). That news forced me away, and I was very disappointed.

I am not a PvP player. I am hoping that I am wrong though. I loved the concept and everything else about this game, so I am hoping something has changed and there will be PVE servers?

If not, then my question would be, why alienate an entire community of players that are not PvP players? Just think of the monies that you are losing if this game goes on a monthly subscription. even if it doesn't, you are still losing.

12/8/2018 4:08:47 PM #1

The game isnt on a monthly subscription. It is still everywhere PVP though there is a law system which most likely will prevent it from to much outbordered PVP. Also there are many counties which are specialy dedicated to PVE things. So its not realy to bad.

Friend Code: B08D3B

12/8/2018 4:11:03 PM #2

I think you just have to change your mindset of the pvp side of the house.

Elyria approaches it as the players run everything. So when players are attacking innocents, those innocents will go to the local authorities and after proper channels are done they put out a bounty on the people who were the harassers.

The game doesn't reward PVP, and in fact with the survival aspects of the game unless they have their own bandit settlement they are going to be hard pressed simply surviving out there without food and water.

PVE will be possible against creatures, and likely will be required for anything Canis rabbit and up, and PVP although it exists does not have to be participated in.

I myself am going to be a pretty pacifistic Alchemist (qualifier because I will still know how to kill tyvm) and don't plan to participate in pvp at all. SbS isn't ignoring the non pvp crowd, we just have to take a step back when looking at the open world pvp and address our approach to the game with that in mind.

12/8/2018 5:24:29 PM #3

Think of it this way. Real life is also open PvP.

12/8/2018 7:47:12 PM #4

The game has so much to offer to any type of player that I can only recommend to dig a bit deeper in the Developer Journals and get a grip on the mechanics that will govern the potential cost of malicious behaviour, like Reputation and the (player run) Judicial System. Just like in real life, characters in Elyria can pursue a significant number of mechanics to support them in being protected from malicious acts by other characters, and consequently minimise the negative impact these acts may have on their life in Elyria. First and foremost it will be important to secure relationships in a family and domain a character calls home. That part of the game has in fact already started and many players go through great length to settle in communities that will form their first characters living environment upon the launch of the game, or in the preceding phases of Exposition and Kingdoms of Elyria. I'm sure SBS and the CoE community warmly welcome any PVE focussed roleplayer to join in and experience the thrill and exitement of forging effective security alliances in this dynamic multiplayer medieval-low-fantasy simulation game. It may at times turn out to be an unforgiving world, leading to some occasional spirit walking and loss of some inventory ..., but with careful, pragmatic preparation and a decent community to support you, both in- and out-of-game, any player may find Elyria to be a refreshing, realistic roleplaying game.

12/8/2018 7:57:15 PM #5

This game is both PVE and PVP. I do have a question for you then. Is the fact that you realized that if you start as a count you won't stay a count is what turned you off? Because it is important to know that most people who start as counts and dukes will not stay counts and dukes. The turn over rate the first year will be crazy. Basically if you pledge to those now you are just pledging to develop that domain for the beginning of the world and then you will eventually lose it. The game would be boring if the leadership always stayed the same. People will rise up if they don't like the way you rule or they are just greedy for land and power. But that is part of the game. You would lose more people if you weren't able to just move up and those who spent all the money in the beginning got to keep everything. This is an online game so you have to expect a PVP game a little bit. Only an offline 1 player game can be purely PVE.

12/8/2018 8:02:59 PM #6

Some players have no plans to do PvP and others will. I wouldn't worry so much. People in the same Kingdom all help each other. So instead of a terrible player experience you may find friends who help you everywhere you go. PvP is not so bad as people think it is. It's just a matter of finding friends and help each other.

12/9/2018 6:42:12 AM #7

I have it on the authority of one of the lead developers (Snipehunter) that player characters in general will be more at risk from wildlife than from other player characters.

12/9/2018 7:55:15 AM #8

Consider this: The current size estimate for for the starting continent for the NA and EU servers is about 18000 km^2. So somewhere between the size of Wales and North Ireland, leaning closer to North Ireland once you account for water.Or between Connecticut and New Jersey in size. Which seems small these days because cars, but none of these places support a population of less than a million people. (No NPCs!) The proposed minimum starting population is 100,000 people, mixed players and NPCs, who will mostly be clustered into towns, with guards, where laws are enforceable and witnesses are present. And purrsonally, there seem to be a fair amount of people who are eager to play the role of hometown defender/hero/guard that I've seen. Which means a decent likelihood that you won't really have to PvP yourself. Not guaranteed. There's no guarantees, but this isn't supposed to be a safe story that guarantees your role as the hero or gives you unlimited lives. It's an evolving world, and for changes to happen and to have meaning, there must be risk. Still less risky than rl imo. Many spirit walks, woo! Reincarnation, check!

Edit: Lost track of myself there, but I was pointing to a lower population density initially, so most of your threats are going to be PvE anyways xD

Also known as AvA in Discord.

12/9/2018 10:57:10 AM #9

Posted By Tentigers at

I have been a follower of the concept of Chronicles of Elyria since almost day 1. I was even about to buy a 10K package when the news came out its gonna be open world PvP (basically). That news forced me away, and I was very disappointed.

I am not a PvP player. I am hoping that I am wrong though. I loved the concept and everything else about this game, so I am hoping something has changed and there will be PVE servers?

If not, then my question would be, why alienate an entire community of players that are not PvP players? Just think of the monies that you are losing if this game goes on a monthly subscription. even if it doesn't, you are still losing.

Perfectly reasonable, it has pvp and pk in it and you can overtake lands, That's why ppl like you should work together with ppl like me, and thats the duke's duty to find out what tiles he can give ppl so they are protected by a lot of mean guys. ;)

12/9/2018 12:11:46 PM #10

It's also good to remember that PVP in Elyria, isn't going to be just the typical "fighting"/classic PVP in most games. While there will be some of that and it does incur some pretty nasty penalties when caught as a deterrent.

PVP will also include non physical attacks, usually on 'character', using the gossip and rumour system among other things.

Given how big the world is, it really depends if you find a good group to play with, the area you're in as well as the types around you. For most part you may get attacked at one point or another, but you'll probably be more likely to get attacked by an animal/creature than another player.

12/9/2018 12:50:44 PM #11

Join a pvp group, become their farmer. Get protection from supplying them. All is well.

But really, no idea why people focus on pvpers so much. The world is way too huge for them to really be a threat. Over some pve person that may find non pvp ways to destroy you.

12/14/2018 1:36:59 PM #12

I admit to being an avid PVE-type of player. I'm hooked by this game, and have joined a great Duchy where my aim is to be an alchemist/healer/surgeon. I may have to protect myself occasionally if offering first-aid or treatment on the edge of a battlefield, say... but my expectation is that for 95% or more of my time I'll be a working in my 'lab' or my surgery - or maybe healing, say in the church/infirmary, those brought injured into the capital city I'm based in. I'm absolutely Lousy at PvP - hardly any quick reflexes in my body it seems! (I'll be carrying a weapon, but for self-defence only). But others will protect me in this world - they will be good at it. And I can do a great job in my role and I know I'll get a lot from this game. Over the years.

Physician, Alchemist & Herbalist to the Duchy of Anor, Al-Khezam - Selene (EU) Server

12/14/2018 3:00:32 PM #13

A world run by players will never be peaceful enough for only PVE.... lol

Mod Edit: Removed personal attack

12/14/2018 3:03:45 PM #14

Posted By TheCoz at 4:00 PM - Fri Dec 14 2018

A world run by players will never be peaceful enough for only PVE.... lol

If it's too peaceful, the game will die ;-)

Players will fall asleep. Or stare at the screen for hours, without doing anything.

Mod Edit: Removed personal attack from quote

12/14/2018 3:19:40 PM #15

I am curious to see if we can eat people in the game.