COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Tirbal Selection

My understanding is that if you are a count you can only choose a tribe from a select group that makes up the biome you choose to reside in.

How do I find out the specific choices for a count in the Broad Leaf Biome?

Kheg-Fourm-banner-Solaris-Confed.jpg Link to recruitment post If you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste.
Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste.

12/8/2018 9:35:02 PM #1

Specific choices available to you will be outlined during Domain and Settlement Selection.

This is a link to the Angelica Map, but you can see what the main tribe is in each of the separate biomes to get a better idea of things for now. With the broadleaf forest being Mainly Kypiq.

12/9/2018 1:52:11 AM #2

Posted By Kheg at

My understanding is that if you are a count you can only choose a tribe from a select group that makes up the biome you choose to reside in.

To be more precise, you are restricted to choosing the dominant tribe in the county you select. Within a particular biome, there are supposed to be other tribes beyond the dominant one noted on the map. We just can't see them yet, but you will at domain selection.

12/9/2018 6:04:03 AM #3

Best info I could find Page#2, post #19 https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/29288/nobles-locked-to-majority-tribe-question?page=2#post320518

Posted By Snipehunter at 2:48 PM - Mon Nov 12 2018

"Perhaps I can be of assistance..."

The system, at the broad level, works as we've mentioned but let me explain the specific rules.

First, a piece of information: When Domain and Settlement Selection time arrives, one of the things you'll be able to see for each Biome, Duchy, County and Settlement will be the demographic breakdown of which tribes live there. This means that you'll be able to know precisely which duchies, counties, etc. in your kingdom house which tribes and what percentage of their populations each tribe in the region represents.

So, with that in mind, the rules for tribe selection are going to work like this:

1) When a monarch picks the kingdom, they also pick the biome that represents the Kingdom Seat. The monarch is then bound to the tribe that calls that biome home, irrespective of the demographics for their specifically selected duchy, county, or settlement. (Biome in this case means the overall biome -- as marked on the currently available maps -- and ignores transitional duchies or microbiomes at the borders between overarching biomes.)

2) When a Duke or Duchess picks a duchy, they will be bound to the tribe that is most numerous in that duchy, irrespective of the make up of their selected county or settlement. In the case of a tie in representation, a duke or duchess will be able to pick between them. (At this level a tie would be exceedingly rare, however)

3) When a Count or Countess picks a county, they will be bound to the tribe that is most numerous in that county, irrespective of the make up of their selected settlement. In the case of a tie (e.g. Neran and Kypiq each make up 40% of a county), the count or countess will be able to pick from between the tied tribes.

4) When a mayor picks a settlement, they will be bound to the tribe that is most numerous in that settlement, or any tribe that has at least half as much representation. For example, if the Neran are the largest block at 40% of the settlement, but Kypiq and Waerd both make up at least 20% of the settlement, the mayor can pick between Neran, Kypiq, or Waerd.

5) At any level below mayor, tribe choice is limited to what families or wards exist in the location you want to start within.

What this means is that you'll want to carefully consider the top-level choice in your "stack" of Biome/duchy/county/settlement choices as a monarch, duke, count, as that's where the deciding factor in your tribe choice will reside. But as I said, you'll be able to see this information during domain and settlement selection at all levels of granularity, so you will have the information necessary to make an informed choice.

In essence, this sort of helps to mirror the effect of history and popular choice among the citizenry: When a monarch picks a biome as the kingdom seat they are, in a sense, saying "This tribe is/was the seed of this kingdom." While the looser choices available to a mayor are more about the reality of the demographic breakdowns, a sort of "in the trenches things are really more like this" view, if that makes sense.

Hope that helps! :)

Divide et Impera