COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Is the game, you know, real?

Hello all -

I've been looking around for a new MMORPG for a while, and CoE seems to have many things I've always thought would be interesting...and a few I haven't (world wide PvP...eek) but on the whole, the concept sounds pretty interesting. That said, I haven't been able to locate recent in-game or "from game" updates - aside from events and promotions, much of the game content seems a bit older and although I realize it takes time to evolve from concept to playable game, the more recent seeming lack of in-game material has me wondering if its worth getting all wrapped up and excited, to say nothing of pulling out the wallet for a pledge / starter pack.

To give you an example - One day, I was bored, and since there was nothing in the entirety of Netflix's vast collection to satisfy me, I was also grumpy. Bored and grumpy me talked to my Sister-in-law, who being a charming woman (though vile and rotten to the core, as you'll find out later) suggested I try this show, called Firefly, which I'd never heard of. "oh its great" she said. "I think you'll like it" she said. " I have the first season on DVD" she told me. SO....I thought, sure, why not. So I sit down, fire up this....what...space western? Rocket ships and six-shooters....REALLY?....but whatever, I'll give it a go. Well, by the 4rth or so episode, I'm hooked - completely. "I love space westerns"!! I tell myself.... "why doesn't everyone use a leather duster while flying a space ship"!!! ....I call said Sister-in-law and proclaim how she has saved me from boredom, how the veil of eternal and dismal apathy has been lifted, and that all I need now......is SEASON TWO............. Well.....you can guess how that conversation went.

The moral of the story is, I've become guarded about getting over excited and invested in "a cool new thing" until I have some idea that its actually going somewhere.....or has a second season....as it happens. So while this may by asking the wrong crowd, is CoE keeping pace? making progress? going somewhere...really?

Regards, Treozen

1/10/2019 4:57:47 PM #31

Just a thought about logistics when it comes to community engagement. Communicating with a community requires a lot more time than one may realize. Time = money. Since SbS seems to have limited staff, their engagement staff seem to be multitasking with community engagement and support. I see this as possibly a good thing because their staff most likely isn't bloated with excess salaries that quickly drain the project money raised. The real question is how long it will take to find the solutions to implement the game plan into the actual game.

Just another fish in the sea of humannity...

Mayor Mikkal Rodsild of Sildby - Brudvir Tribe

County of Raumsdalr - Grand Duchy of Erzhalden - Kingdom of Vornair - NA-E Luna

1/11/2019 12:01:02 PM #32

I think the most revelant bit of info to this thread - and to the general tone of underlying doubt cropping up in a lot of more recent community discussion - is a piece of Caspian's opening post in one of the 0.4.0 threads where he likened what they're doing to manufacturing the parts that compose a moving vehicle*. . The bits and pieces that, until they're assembled into a functional, moving product, can't really be called or likened to anything resembling a car. The car in this instance, of course, being the game.

• ( point of reference: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/28843/Adventure-Completion-From-Pre-to-Alpha)

Personally, I think it's fine that there's little visual content to show for the game at this stage. It's pre-alpha (yes, this gets thrown around a lot), and things take time to build, especially with a small team. Going by the follow-up blog post to the one I mentioned*, the conclusion of 0.5.0 is where we should start seeing the footage and content that will ease the doubts growing in the community. When that'll hit, nobody can really say, but for anyone burning out from the wait I'd recommend putting the waiting game down for a couple of months or so and directing your attention elsewhere. Things are only going to get better with time, and we lose nothing in not waiting on progress day by day.

• ( point of reference: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/28880/adventure-intro-some-assembly-required)

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

1/11/2019 8:20:33 PM #33

they should have had something by now to be honest I hope they have some video footage of the game in April

1/12/2019 8:59:13 AM #34

Overall, I'd say I agree with most replies here, and its encouraging at least to see a generally confident (or at minimum, more hopeful than not) community.

I'm clearly very new to CoE, but hardly new to the world of MMORPGs, development timetables and forum discussions on the same, so I'll offer an opinion of my own, even though I don't have much background in CoE.

Basically, it comes to this: At the 50,000 foot-level, the current level of detail and in-game assets that have been made available, makes sense for a game that is sort of being built inside out, or back-to-front, versus a more traditional model. The commentary from development and "insiders", perhaps for lack of a better term, seems equally compelling and has a ring of legitimacy that I think provides the confidence most here seem to have - and that's good. The danger though, as I see it, is that things don't live long at the 50,000 foot level. At some point, you've got to bring it down, even if just for a bit, and let your audience (or community) breath......or it will suffocate, and next thing you know, your community is a collection of jaded hopefuls and disappointed malcontents. I don't see any real evidence of either here, not really, so again, that's good - but are the developers paying attention to how much oxygen is left to fuel that community confidence? Although you can argue about the why and wherefores that, for now, account for the recent lack of material in-game content, those arguments (like communities living at 50,000 feet) run out of steam unless you inject a dose of "stuff" once in a while. You've got to bring the level down a bit occasionally - 10,000 feet - get a bit more granular, detailed and content specific - let the community catch its breath and recharge, re-energize - its like a booster shot, inoculating the community against impatience and disillusioned frustration.

SO - while I understand the whys, and can even sign-on with the general high confidence, I do wonder if the developers are risking community hypoxia, by focusing too much on the way they want to do things in the long run, rather than what they've managed to accomplish so far.

Treozen.

1/12/2019 10:10:16 AM #35

The game already begun !

The Fan community choosed last year the world map they want to play on every of the 4 servers.

The community is also about to put its footprint on the world by choosing the place of their settlement during Domaine & Settlement selection during this winter 2019.

And many things are coming up in 2019 ...

Just stay tuned ! Don't worry, be happy ;)

Eolwyn Lunicorne

1/12/2019 5:51:00 PM #36

Posted By Treozen at 02:59 AM - Sat Jan 12 2019

SO - while I understand the whys, and can even sign-on with the general high confidence, I do wonder if the developers are risking community hypoxia, by focusing too much on the way they want to do things in the long run, rather than what they've managed to accomplish so far.

There's definitely been some give on this, but you also have to remember that what they do share is often protected by NDA. So what little we may know as backers, we can't even tell you.

I think it's really easy to forget that their ideas are also their intellectual property, so sharing things openly with the community is also sharing their IP with competitors, potentially much better funded ones. It's entirely possible that this is a significant factor in their decisions on what to share and what not to share.

If the game looks interesting to you, definitely stick around. Get to know the people here. Come and say hi on discord. If nothing else, it's another way to form an opinion on whether or not this is a game you'd enjoy playing. :)

1/12/2019 9:41:52 PM #37

Posted By Hieronymus at 09:51 AM - Sat Jan 12 2019

Posted By Treozen at 02:59 AM - Sat Jan 12 2019

There's definitely been some give on this, but you also have to remember that what they do share is often protected by NDA. So what little we may know as backers, we can't even tell you.

I think it's really easy to forget that their ideas are also their intellectual property, so sharing things openly with the community is also sharing their IP with competitors, potentially much better funded ones. It's entirely possible that this is a significant factor in their decisions on what to share and what not to share.

If the game looks interesting to you, definitely stick around. Get to know the people here. Come and say hi on discord. If nothing else, it's another way to form an opinion on whether or not this is a game you'd enjoy playing. :)

I'm in general agreement here, and you make a good case. Still, I'm reminded of an old adage - "The turtle only gets ahead, by sticking its neck out" - which is to say, you need to accept some risk, if you want to be successful, and its a balance we're all familiar with - risk vs reward. The development team should protect their secrets and keep CoE's uniqueness close to the vest, but hold it all too tightly, and they'll crush the life out of it.

NDAs are a common and useful tool, I'm regularly subject to them in many aspects of my life, but like anything else, they can be overused to the detriment of the project. If everything is protected, then nothing can be shared, and if nothing can be shared, the community - any community - will suffer, and if taken to its most extreme conclusion, ultimately fail. Regardless of the risk, surely the worse possible, though granted unlikely outcome, is for CoE to launch, with only the NDA group as a player-base.

So while I do agree with you, I guess I see equal risk in holding things too tightly, as perhaps you do in being overly open.

As for the game - I am interested, and the community here seems pretty good, better in fact than most. So I'll likely stick around and see what develops!

Treozen.

1/12/2019 9:51:02 PM #38

Posted By Treozen at 3:41 PM - Sat Jan 12 2019

As for the game - I am interested, and the community here seems pretty good, better in fact than most. So I'll likely stick around and see what develops!

Excellent. And welcome!

1/13/2019 10:31:22 AM #39

Less words. It's really high time for the first REAL thing.

" by the end of Release 0.5.0 we should be able to demonstrate all of these systems working in our Prelyria client in preparation for Pre-Alpha:

Character Creation

Characters and Attributes

Locomotion & Physics

Equipment & Inventory

World Interaction

Identities

NPC Interaction

Contracts

NPC & Creature AI

Survival Mechanics"

5 Oct.2018

1/14/2019 12:30:05 AM #40

This game is not real. You are not real. This world is not real.

The world is only an illusion. You and I, are only shadows in this world of illusion.

The illusion that is Elyria, is just as valid as the illusion, that is Earth.

~concept stolen from "Dragons of Dorcastle" by Jack Cambell.

1/14/2019 3:20:10 AM #41

BUT WAIT. Was I supposed to take the red pill or blue pill!?

1/14/2019 8:54:31 AM #42

Posted By Ikkerens at 3:26 PM - Thu Jan 10 2019

Posted By Watru at 09:51 AM - Thu Jan 10 2019

They dont even have enough confidence in there own work to show it of to anyone else then a fanatic few how are so over hyped they dont see clearly.

And would never dare to say any thing negative in fear of getting there "exclusive" "status" removed.

While you are free to feel that way, and I don't intend to stop you from making decisions for your own, I would like to correct something here.

The reason the exclusive members don't disclose anything negative (nor positive) is because the NDA forbids them. It's not about losing exclusive access, NDA violations are actually a legal matter.

So why is there even a exclusive access group? Among other things, to gauge how the community would respond to random ideas and early tech demos, to see if they need to fix something before going fully public with things. It's not just about the players, it's about the press too. SbS is trying to be careful not to release something before being sure the community as a whole will love it, and an exclusive group is a perfect solution for this.

The exclusive group won't go away, but it's probably better to stop seeing it as a secret group and more like a tool for the studio to check if their idea is a good one.

You missed my point Soulbound Studios is the one how chose to have it under NDA. And not show it to the community at large. Nothing to wonder about why backers dont disclose.

But if SbS is so afraid og showing off anything except to a small "fanatic" few then that dont boast of confidence in there own work.

1/14/2019 10:22:10 AM #43

@Watru, be sure to read the third and fourth paragraph of my post as well ^^

1/14/2019 12:33:32 PM #44

Posted By Ikkerens at 11:22 AM - Mon Jan 14 2019

@Watru, be sure to read the third and fourth paragraph of my post as well ^^

Yes you are just proving my point.
"fully public" that tells us how fed the state and how bad it is when they dont dare to show us anything its been 3-4 years you know.

And NO the GIF dont count in my book.

I seen more people drawing similarity with IdentityRPG and i have to start to agree they did the exact same thing.

And look how that went.

Anyone how dont want to show of there hard work, know it sucks. All they have to do is cut together a 2 minute video to squash all the threads poping up.

The fact they dont tells us they have fuck all to show us, pardon my french.

Of course a lot is speculation from my side but its not beaming of confidence or pride in there work that much is for sure. Combine that with the lousy Pay 2 Win Browser games.

The plans they tell us about and dont follow trough with like December stream. And devs how say they actually promise more then they know, they have time to do.

The increasing frustration and hate for the studio on 3rd party forums and the splitted community, with the haves and have nots. I think SbS should throw some water on the fires and show some equal love for there entire community and not just there favorite money bags.

We all deserve the same respect and appreciation even tough some have spent more then others.

1/19/2019 12:36:31 AM #45

Posted By Augustus_Aquila at 05:29 AM - Tue Jan 08 2019

The game is real and is under development . An official release estimate is late 2019 but I bet my right leg would come 2020 to us. I would suggest now to choose a Server , read up all the kingdoms there and choose one and get to know your future game play mates. :-)

Will the full release be on those dates? What about the alphas/beta game releases? I can't wait to try the beta. I would have liked to see some of the alpha footages.