COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Does the game have a mic option?

I've been looking around and can't seem to find anything that says there will be open mic or even a mic at all.

1/9/2019 2:21:33 AM #1

Proximity voice chat would've been nice to have, along with some speech to text so that the game can track what you are talking about (for the most part)...

However none of this will be possible, you would have to use discord I'm afraid, which wont be proximity based :(

While CoE is innovating in so many other fronts sadly proximity voice chat is one thats lacking...

alt text

1/9/2019 3:59:58 AM #2

There will be no VOIP in game ~

1/9/2019 4:30:20 AM #3

VoIP is a net negative for immersion in most cases, as well as the fact that it completely circumvents their planned languages, and doesn't give an opportunity for NPCs to interact.

1/11/2019 2:31:39 PM #4

I would Really like it if there would be a Voic chat. So you can do real small Talk, when you go in a tavern. Hopefully, they will add it :)

1/12/2019 2:09:18 PM #5

I Personally wouldn't like Voice chat as It would ruin immersion and mic spammers could be very annoying. It would be better to use discord if you want to talk with friends and just have text chat instead.

1/12/2019 2:55:17 PM #6

Posted By Reddit at 12:09 AM - Sun Jan 13 2019

I Personally wouldn't like Voice chat as It would ruin immersion and mic spammers could be very annoying. It would be better to use discord if you want to talk with friends and just have text chat instead.

Totally agree.

1/12/2019 3:43:07 PM #7

Because of the sheer scope of NPC roles and interactions in the world, combined with the language and communication intricacies, I am very grateful they aren't going to do an in game voice chat. The immersion is good to :P

-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7

1/12/2019 5:11:53 PM #8

Innovative and paradigm-breaking as CoE can be, I think even now we're still a bit too undeveloped in terms of technology to make the game fully voice-compatible. What I mean by that is inclusive of reactive NPC voicing (AI actually responding to player voice prompts), and having a functional proximity detection system that can handle an absurd number of people talking in close proximity with the right mechanics in play to make it sound and behave realistically.

I think we're close; provided Google doesn't screw up and accidentally unleash an apocalypse-scenario-AI upon the world, we should start seeing reactive NPC voicing pretty soon. Microsoft and Google already have their toes in the water, and it's not going to take too many steps from here before interactive AI becomes a more tangible presence in the datascape. We won't see it in CoE, but I think we'll start to see it in the games that follow.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

6/16/2019 3:42:26 PM #9

I am going to respectfully disagree with this sentiment... VOIP would absolutely be a HUGE positive for this type of game. Language barrier? instead of playing the VOIP, play to anyone who doesn't understand the language being spoken a garbled recorded blurb similar to that in Sims language.

Mic spammers and music blasters? Kingdom wide KOS order by way of the crown. Mechanically? Add mute as a point and toggle option.

Without voice, you miss out on all of the hyper interesting characters that make up modern day RP gaming. MMORPGs with text are quickly going the way of the dodo in response to games with proximity directional based VOIP. If you aren't interested in a built in VOIP system, maybe consider creating a pipe of coordinate based information reporting characterid and x,y,z and some teamspeak devs will easily be able to create a 3d positional based VOIP service for their locales.

There is just so much missed opportunity for such a common modern game mechanic.

Sure, not everyone is a professional voice actor/actress, but you don't have to be.. Being around great RPers rubs off on people and if you have voice, the RP goes to a completely higher level.

6/16/2019 3:46:17 PM #10

Additionally, If you're already ok with text based communications with NPCs, nothing on that front needs changing. Communicate with NPCs with text then, but skipping out on VOIP is cutting out the HUGE RP platform that is killing it on streaming platforms everywhere right now.

6/16/2019 3:51:21 PM #11

Posted By Galen_Live at 10:42 AM - Sun Jun 16 2019

I am going to respectfully disagree with this sentiment... VOIP would absolutely be a HUGE positive for this type of game. Language barrier? instead of playing the VOIP, play to anyone who doesn't understand the language being spoken a garbled recorded blurb similar to that in Sims language.

Mic spammers and music blasters? Kingdom wide KOS order by way of the crown. Mechanically? Add mute as a point and toggle option.

Without voice, you miss out on all of the hyper interesting characters that make up modern day RP gaming. MMORPGs with text are quickly going the way of the dodo in response to games with proximity directional based VOIP. If you aren't interested in a built in VOIP system, maybe consider creating a pipe of coordinate based information reporting characterid and x,y,z and some teamspeak devs will easily be able to create a 3d positional based VOIP service for their locales.

There is just so much missed opportunity for such a common modern game mechanic.

Sure, not everyone is a professional voice actor/actress, but you don't have to be.. Being around great RPers rubs off on people and if you have voice, the RP goes to a completely higher level.

I couldn't agree more.

6/16/2019 3:55:34 PM #12

People will use the most efficient way for them to communicate. If the devs don't implement an in-game VOIP or if they use a constraining one, people will in fact use discord or teamspeak.

Barony of Kern’s gate

6/16/2019 3:57:14 PM #13

Another thought... Don't want people mic spamming at all? Like the name over someones head, simply turn off accepting voip streams from everyone until you've "met" them. Simply walking up to them, looking at them and, say, waving at them could turn on VOIP. They do the same and you are off to the races. Nobody will be zooming through town on a horse screaming belligerent profanities until you've greeted them with a wave.. if they do, wave at them again and disable it again... easy peasy

6/16/2019 3:59:24 PM #14

Posted By Terham at 08:55 AM - Sun Jun 16 2019

People will use the most efficient way for them to communicate. If the devs don't implement an in-game VOIP or if they use a constraining one, people will in fact use discord or teamspeak.

How does one simply use discord or teamspeak with a traveler along the highway? Passing through a hamlet? Stumbling upon someone gutting a dear? I get the sentiment, but it is hardly convenient to try and identify which discord server they may be hanging out on :P

6/16/2019 4:14:52 PM #15

You will use the chat for random travelers, but don't think it will stop, for instance, a Brudvir to trade with a Janoa even if none of them talk the same language. You just have to find the other on discord (look for a forum page of their shop, ask on the discord of their city/duchy/kingdom... That won't be hard).

If there is a real benefit for them they will make this effort. And concerning the city... one of the first things I will do in mine will be to write my discord link somewhere. Probably on a sign at the main gates. Hugly, but it's better for everyone.

Barony of Kern’s gate