COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Languages & Tribes

Hello goodfolk. I have a question about Languages & Tribes. I'm not sure how much the developers want to encourage tribe loyalty and politics between the tribes. Even though the alphabet itself seems rather similar with little addition, it's made clear on the wiki that some of the languages are easily misunderstood thought to outsiders/not thought to outsiders.

Will there be any learning curve with the new languages, where characters need to learn new languages to understand tribes/do politics etc. ?

I know some games have implemented that feature where when someone writes it simply pops up as random words that doesnt make sense if you do not understand a language. This could also add the possibility of translators that speak both languages to assist in matters where its needed.

1/9/2019 5:55:09 PM #1

Hey there, I would click here and give the design journal on languages and communication a read. (Particularly you may like the "Languages" section)

In short though, yes there will be varying levels of language comprehension. Loosely they will range from knowing nothing, to basic vocab, to complete comprehension.

Also yes, translators are completely possible. The To'resk themselves in the lore write up often take on the task of translating for the Janoa as they refuse to learn other languages but their own (historically speaking) How this plays out in game, is up in the air, but you can certainly learn multiple languages and take on the role of translator.

Also, welcome to CoE :D

1/9/2019 6:02:28 PM #2

Thank you Labbe! :)

1/9/2019 6:08:32 PM #3

Posted By Sablerno at 10:02 AM - Wed Jan 09 2019

Thank you Labbe! :)

Of course! If you have any other questions feel free to ask, even via DM. I'm usually pretty active in the forums :D