COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Reacting to your soulmate

Just a bit of light fun, hopefully with some discussion tied in...

Upon discovering your soulmate is nearby, what would you do?

I can imagine a lot of people will be highly paranoid around their soulmates, because a CDG from your soulmate causes instant permanent death. I'm interested to hear about how people might lay traps. Or if their plans are more sinister!

For the Role Players and story driven people out there, this scenario is as anxious as it is exciting. I'd be interested to hear from the romantics as well as those interested in pursuing the 10 year story (or those creating their own story). Will this bitter sweet encounter be the beginning of a new story? Or will it be the end of someones?

In between these two spectrums lay the "Grinders" and "day to day" gamers. It would be interesting to hear from you guys n gals as well. Are you more practical and looking for a chance at the awesome benefits provided by a soulmate pairing? Perhaps entire business empires could be run by a famous couple? Or maybe you'll be perfectly happy to pack your bags and leave the area after this discovery.

Have a bit of fun, we all need some! Perhaps your soulmate is already here?

1/19/2019 9:53:44 AM #1

I consider myself a bit of a romantic.

I already have plans to seek out my soulmate. I also have some plans on gaining their trust.

If I were attacked by my soulmate, I'd do my best to win the fight. After that I would patch them up, and let it slide. No matter how many times they try. At least this way they know without a doubt that they can trust me.

1/19/2019 10:19:58 AM #2

I will probably try to come up with a way where the soulmate is lured into a false sense of power over me. A controlled situation where they think they could kill me if they wanted to. Just to get that out of the way and learn their intentions.

If they wanted to kill me, I cant trust that player at all and I'd kill.

Still trying to think of how this whole event could play out in the way I want it to tho.

alt text

1/19/2019 11:21:58 AM #3

As I'll be playing with my significant other I do not think it would be anything romantic about finding a soulmate.

Finding something so rare would be exiting for sure.

Arch nemesis or good companion then? Really depends on who or what the soulmate is, or his/her intentions.

Trading the chaotic neutral path most of the time myself, I do not care much if the soulmate is good or evil, I can work with both, but if its an annoying prick or my pet peeve Neran it better stay away from me or suffer for it, one way or another, I might loose my life in the process but so be it.

Might be curious to see if offspring from such a coupple would have something special about them.

1/19/2019 3:06:39 PM #4

Posted By HerbLord at 8:19 PM - Sat Jan 19 2019

I will probably try to come up with a way where the soulmate is lured into a false sense of power over me. A controlled situation where they think they could kill me if they wanted to. Just to get that out of the way and learn their intentions.

If they wanted to kill me, I cant trust that player at all and I'd kill.

Still trying to think of how this whole event could play out in the way I want it to tho.

Simple. Provide for them. Master cooking, chemistry, and herbology. Poison them with a slow acting agent in breakfast, and give them the antidote in dinner.

Ideally - to ensure complete control of the situation, at any time - the poison you use in breakfast would be part of a compound that can kill, cripple or weaken instantly when combined with another herb or catalyst, which you would keep either in a blowdart or a punch dagger that's kept on your person at all times. The slow-acting agent is to ensure that if they get you, they're also going to suffer permadeath as a consequence. The quick option is there so you have a chance to put them down if they move on you and you aren't killed before you can react.

This of course isn't limited to soulmates. You could use it as a politician for blackmail purposes, as a cult leader or guildmaster to ensure loyalty, on a royal you're trying to kill inconspicuously... but for the circumstances you describe, it would be perfect.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

1/21/2019 3:23:18 AM #5

Perma death to your soulmate sounds a little too extreme. Just meeting your soul mate makes it so you pretty much have to kill them before they perma kill you in that situation. You just need to find them before they find you.

Soulmate to me has always meant something good even though it could be good or bad. In this case I could see it being a middleground for another person being attuned to your soul. Soulmate should be the state at which you meet your soulmate and at which point you should either work towards becoming kindred spirits or a nemesis to each other.

I think it takes away from a greater story or experience between soul mates before you become more attuned or opposing spirits through being a nemesis.

I also hope that it is possible to become soulmates organically with someone you see often or share enough skills and professions with so that you are more likely to work together rather than kill each other because you have to not because you want to or never experience the good part of being a soulmate because they will always die permanantly. I could see double spirit loss but not perma.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

1/21/2019 9:45:22 PM #6

Wow bunch of cynics around here.

Given the bonuses to be around or even having an offspring with your soulmate the min/maxer in me is hoping for a working relationship and a child contract (if possible) to gain the most from finding such a rare individual.

I also assume that most gamers will be in the same boat looking to exploit the connection to our benefit rather than just killing each other.

But hey to each their own.

1/22/2019 12:18:17 AM #7

I know I would love to take full advantage of the benies but I know that if we meet and anything is off ill prolly just start stabbing just to be sure.

I wish it was a more drawn out process since you could potentially spend a year together that didnt result in the potential of perma death. It would certainly be less tense for everyone.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

1/22/2019 2:03:26 AM #8

Posted By Sagan at

Just a bit of light fun, hopefully with some discussion tied in...

Upon discovering your soulmate is nearby, what would you do?

I can imagine a lot of people will be highly paranoid around their soulmates, because a CDG from your soulmate causes instant permanent death. I'm interested to hear about how people might lay traps. Or if their plans are more sinister!

For the Role Players and story driven people out there, this scenario is as anxious as it is exciting. I'd be interested to hear from the romantics as well as those interested in pursuing the 10 year story (or those creating their own story). Will this bitter sweet encounter be the beginning of a new story? Or will it be the end of someones?

In between these two spectrums lay the "Grinders" and "day to day" gamers. It would be interesting to hear from you guys n gals as well. Are you more practical and looking for a chance at the awesome benefits provided by a soulmate pairing? Perhaps entire business empires could be run by a famous couple? Or maybe you'll be perfectly happy to pack your bags and leave the area after this discovery.

Have a bit of fun, we all need some! Perhaps your soulmate is already here?

Hard to say without being able to assess that person's reputation. If they seemed reasonably compatible and non-hostile I'd probably work with them.

If there were doubt I'd probably lean towards caution and look for a CDG option.

Friend Code: 1C7762

1/22/2019 2:28:29 AM #9

While there is some more risk involved, there's also higher reward from working together with your soulmate. So I'd definitely try to convince my soulmate of the benefits of working together.

Posted By Malais at 4:45 PM - Mon Jan 21 2019

Wow bunch of cynics around here.

Given the bonuses to be around or even having an offspring with your soulmate the min/maxer in me is hoping for a working relationship and a child contract (if possible) to gain the most from finding such a rare individual.

I also assume that most gamers will be in the same boat looking to exploit the connection to our benefit rather than just killing each other.

But hey to each their own.

I'm with you on this, a death is just a dead, but a benefit can be huge.
Yeah, your character permadies when you get betrayed, but you'll die at some point anyway, and you can take revenge. But it's more beneficial (for both of you) to work together.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

2/8/2019 8:26:47 AM #10

Can soulmates be PC or NPC?

Will be playing on Selene (EU) Server
3/29/2019 5:39:52 AM #11

Anyone have a link to where I can read about soulmates? I haven't gotten that far into my backlog of reading material! LOL Honestly, from the couple of forum posts I've read about them, I hope they let us have an option to opt out of soulmates.

3/29/2019 6:03:11 AM #12

The Really intressting question would be what if you find the soulmate of your Dynastial enemy?

would you try to woo him into killing that duke you hate so much?

and what if someone PAID your soulmate to kill you?

3/29/2019 7:24:48 AM #13

You can see your soulmates' soul color. If it's white you know they at least haven't been doing evil deeds as of yet. Soulmate isn't really a romantic term, at least the true definition of soulmate isn't, so you don't have to try to be with them lol. But, it said, having a kid with your soulmate will make the kid better statwise, and you are also strong with your soulmate. I'm going to do everything I can work with my soulmate within legal means. But I know it's always going to be scary being around a person that can just oneshot you lol.

3/29/2019 12:25:14 PM #14

Posted By Tilarium at 10:39 PM - Thu Mar 28 2019

Anyone have a link to where I can read about soulmates? I haven't gotten that far into my backlog of reading material! LOL Honestly, from the couple of forum posts I've read about them, I hope they let us have an option to opt out of soulmates.

Here's the wiki page for soulmates. It should give all the info you need

As to the thread topic, depends on their affinity. As I intend to go for a light affinity, if my soulmate is also of light affinity, we could work together no problen, but if they were of dark affinity, I would either right or flee, depending.on the circumstances

Expecting to set up as a mayor in one of the three "two town" counties in Bridgespider (Angelica server, Kingdom of Tyria). I'm hoping to end up with a city by the end of exposition for lawmaking ability, assuming I can keep the city sustainable. You will know it's me by the city name Raven's Roost

Friend code: 23F484.

3/29/2019 1:48:57 PM #15

I doubt that I would honestly ever find my characters soul mate considering how little I'll likely be travelling away from my town. Good or evil also matters less if we're never going to stay in the same spot. If they've a town of their own, why would they leave purely for my character, y'know? Maybe get a child contract written up, but... I'd honestly expect them to go their separate ways depending on the responsibilities of the person themselves.

That's not to mention all of the people that eventually go inactive in any game, much less an MMO. Unless it's refreshed occasionally, you very well could never meet your soulmate because they haven't logged on in half a year. Even longer if it's truly based around a soul and not just a spark, because an entire account could be inactive.

Survival, Whatever the Cost, We Shall Endure| Marthanais, Cibé an Costas, An mbeidh muid Mairfidh| Pledged to Vornair, Pledged to Erzhalden, Pledged to Volsung, Freyr of Kjalstead