COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Brewing as a system

So I was an avid player of Life is Feudal, and I made my main profession in the brewers skill tree. However I found that I was kinda useless in LIF, so I'm just curious as to how important brewing would be as a skill in CoE? I know that actual taverns are a thing, so having alcohol to provide at those establishments is important, I'm also interested in how the crafting would be implemented as well. With the real-time crafting system, correctly proportioning the mixtures of a batch of alcohol would be interesting and I could definitely see myself sinking into a well developed brewing system. How do you guys feel?

Cheers, TearsOfLA

1/25/2019 3:32:40 AM #1

Well, we know that good food and drink will have in game benefits, but the specifics vary depending on quality, and type, and what have you.

Likely the crafting system would be how you expect, but they haven't actually defined (or at least haven't shown us) the brewing system yet so we can't say for certain.

Personally going to focus on Alchemy, but I can see myself getting distracted by alcohols if applicable.

1/25/2019 3:57:16 AM #2

If you can get sick from bad water and rotten food then alcohol will be useful for travel or exploration for a clean beverage whatever its benefits or getting drunk and slurring. It could serve other reasons like getting someone drunk for information.

But I really hope that brewing and consuming alcohol builds a dependece to drinking with addiction. So if you brew and pump alcohol in large quantities that it starts to change an NPC's behavior over time for a drinking addiction which can slowly lead to social or political issues down the road.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

1/25/2019 4:31:22 AM #3

The biggest problem with most all crafting systems in most all games is that other players aren't a large enough group of consumers to really ever make all crafters "useful".

In games like CoE, Star Citizen, etc, you've got a simulation where NPCs will be consumers as well, and that's where the economy really gets interesting :)

Here's hoping!

World Class Indoorsman

1/25/2019 5:14:37 AM #4

Brewing was critically important historically because water was unsafe to drink. In fact, the second building built by the Plymouth Puritans was a brew house for that reason. Water safety is a serious issue on COE (unlike most games). That should make brewing very important.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

1/25/2019 9:36:39 AM #5

Imho brewing is a handy skill for every farmer and innkeeper.

As already mentioned beer is a safe source for water but also calories ("liquid bread").

Unfortunatelly not much is known about the crafting process in game at the moment but I guess when you are able to craft a tasty beer you will have many people wanting to buy it. :)

1/25/2019 2:31:58 PM #6

Food and drink also always give buffs or be useful in survival games. The real issue is to get people to sit still long enough to eat it. With the way they are forcing us to stop and eat/sleep food or drink that will recovery energy faster would be good.

1/25/2019 3:55:48 PM #7

Posted By Deftly at 08:31 AM - Fri Jan 25 2019

Food and drink also always give buffs or be useful in survival games. The real issue is to get people to sit still long enough to eat it. With the way they are forcing us to stop and eat/sleep food or drink that will recovery energy faster would be good.

True

I could be wrong but I think I remember hearing that things like grains, meats, fruits, nuts, and fish all had different energy boosts or health effects attached to them depending on your diet or potential proteins, vitamins, etc when mixed together in a meal or recipies would give different buffs along with energy.

It has also been said in the dev journal for crafting (primarily on forging) but it mentions that different parts of plants will have different properties based on how you process them. And if you didnt sepperate them correctly.

If you dont the roots or stalk could be poisonous and you could potentially poison your patrons. Or that different parts like leaves, fruit, nuts, the branches, stalk, or roots all had different uses.

I think it would be interesting to see what sort of plants like hops there could be in a fantasy sense or how many veggies, fruits, and honey could be mixed for various effects or potency with whatever properties brewing and alcohol could have.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

1/25/2019 5:06:37 PM #8

Im really interested to see how fermentation sciences are implemented into the game, both as a mechanic but also as an economic meta game.

We know that taverns will be a thing and those taverns will have to have something to consume in them right? Historically this was Beer, Wine, Cider, Saki or Mead depending on what region your in.

CoE has a very unique aspect in that based on the biomes and tribes they could actually separate different fermented beverages by region as you find in our real world. For instances the Mead (Mead halls!) and Beer were prominent through out northern Europe because of the climate and what grew there where as in Southern Europe wine was more of a staple (once again, mostly because of climate and growing conditions but also partially because of local cultures). In the far east you of course had Rice Wine ( Which is actually more of a beer than a wine in the way its processed). Then over in the Americas you had a variety of fermented beverages like Pulque (Mexico region made from agave) and Chicha ( Andes made from corn but also in the jungles there is a fruit version).

On top of that you have the interesting tribe dynamic. For instances the Brudvier- who we might associate as being more Gaul/Germanic/Nors like, would consume heavy amounts of mead and beer, but as we all know they can't hold their liquor so whats drank up in north? Maybe a light 3-4 percent apple cider or a light mead or something Similar to Ginger Ale / Root Beer?

The Dras on the other hand can't get drunk, at least not by conventional means, so maybe they are the first to start distilling and create the first liquors and spirts ( I bet them swamp folk could make a damn fine moonshine).

The Janoa would probably drink Chicha (as least the fruit jungle kind) and the Waerd in their desert like biome would likely drink something similar to Pulque (or if distilled Mezcal/Tequila) that is collected from desert plants similar to agave. And I believe its already been stated in the Legendary Tavern story point that agave is the root of their beverages.

The Toresk with their wetlands that provide "an environment which is rich in cultivatable land for both wet and dry agriculture." Seem like they might have rice or something similar and thus might have a solid foundation for Saki brewing.

The Kypiq might be cider fanatics and what about the Hrothi? Maybe they ferment malt into a beer or maybe they have some weird mushroom or algae they found they can ferment?!

Theres lots of room for SBS to get really creative here.

Also how about the actual mechanic of brewing and distilling, how complicated will that be? If I'm distilling and I fail or don't do as well do I mix the heads and tails in with the hearts and end up creating an inferior and potentially dangerous alcohol? Or what if all I want to do is sell quantity regardless of quality so I purposefully mix in the heads and the tales in order to have more alcohol to sell but potentially poising people with the higher methanol (methanol is what historically caused people to go blind when drinking moonshine or poor quality spirits) ?

1/25/2019 11:28:11 PM #9

I really hope brewing is a big deal, used for everything from food and drink to more magical things.

I wrote this system while waiting on EQ Next info to drop. Hoping to see something even half this complex and meaningful, which is completely reasonable considering everything I've read and heard so far. http://reesehollandgames.com/feature-concept-documents/5-epic-brewing/

I'm looking forward to all things fermentation!

Reese "Legendary Neurotoxin" Holland - COE Reddit Mod - Game Dev, but not on CoE. Talkshow on https://www.twitch.tv/theoryforge on Sundays with the rest of the Theory Forge crew!

1/25/2019 11:33:39 PM #10

I'll keep it short and say yes, you will have some ways to enjoy being a renowned brewmaster.

One example could be that your produce is of such exquisite quality, that nobility and even royalty desire it to demonstrate their wealth.

On the other hand, you're likely not the only one, so you'll need to stick out from the others, be it through unlocking a new recipe with research or simply having better quality ingredients available.

Those are just two examples of pro and con to this topic.

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil

1/26/2019 12:29:45 AM #11

The other thing to consider is if you are privately owned still, at a public still, or on a guild still and supposedly there is a difference between them.

Not to mention not all stills are equal as brewing on your still or someone elses still could be the same recipe but a slightly different experience of timing both visually or audibly.

Not to mention with the way that smithing sounds temperature could matter as well in some way.

2/11/2019 12:29:36 AM #12

I’d like to make a town where special drunken jousting tournaments take place. Points will be added for nakednes and feeble looking mounts. Beer and sport are the foundations for any successful civilisation.