COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
1st RP Luna Traveller Competition!

WINNER ANNOUNCED

The winner of this contest is.......

Valion Ridder "The Legacy Begins"

All the other entries where very good, fantastic! It was a hard choice to do but I feel Valions to just about edge it, congratulations!

ALL SERVERS CAN ENTER

I got another informal competition for the community, this time it's about travelling the roads of Luna and Alesia!

Create an account or story of your character (or any character of your choosing) travelling the roads of Alesia and Luna.

It could be a trader moving around, a raiding party; be original!

Criteria

Include placenames in Alesia

Be original - however continuing storylines from previous entries in previous contests

Anyone can enter regardless of pledge package.

I'll be judging the entries and winner will be announced 06/02/2019

the prize is......

A Wagon A Mule An Elyrian Package!

Proof

Post entries in this thread.

1/28/2019 3:08:04 PM #1

Sounds Neat! Might Send in something ^^

1/28/2019 3:10:12 PM #2

Posted By Winterlx at 3:08 PM - Mon Jan 28 2019

Sounds Neat! Might Send in something ^^

Good!

1/28/2019 5:01:24 PM #3

Because some folks use different formatting for dates. Is the deadline February 6th, or June 2nd?

We cannot control the wind, but we can direct the sail

Moonhaven

1/28/2019 5:20:47 PM #4

Posted By Shikaio at 5:01 PM - Mon Jan 28 2019

Because some folks use different formatting for dates. Is the deadline February 6th, or June 2nd?

Feb 6th

1/28/2019 5:58:40 PM #5

Do we need to submit it to yourself? or posting it? Also if you have a previews story that you would like to connect with, would be helpful to know before we start, since I recently joined the community this year.

The water is another dimension where you can fly but you can't breathe

Friend code: 18B4C8

1/28/2019 6:02:04 PM #6

Posted By J0hn at 5:58 PM - Mon Jan 28 2019

Do we need to submit it to yourself? or posting it? Also if you have a previews story that you would like to connect with, would be helpful to know before we start, since I recently joined the community this year.

Post it here.

any story within the criteria will do, be creative :)

1/28/2019 7:43:51 PM #7

Sad, I just realised that I've already chosen the Selene Server... Can I still participate?

1/28/2019 7:45:26 PM #8

Posted By J0hn at 7:43 PM - Mon Jan 28 2019

Sad, I just realised that I've already chosen the Selene Server... Can I still participate?

Yes, the winner can be from all servers.

I should add that.

1/28/2019 7:47:09 PM #9

I should add that.

Great news then, I will start to work on something.

1/28/2019 7:49:01 PM #10

Posted By J0hn at 7:47 PM - Mon Jan 28 2019

I should add that.

Great news then, I will start to work on something.

I look forward to it.

1/28/2019 11:30:59 PM #11

Nice idea Maulvorn! I'll be sure to participate and post something soon.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

1/29/2019 12:45:12 AM #12

Posted By Kastivi at 11:30 PM - Mon Jan 28 2019

Nice idea Maulvorn! I'll be sure to participate and post something soon.

I look forward to it

1/29/2019 10:32:17 AM #13

I looking forward to reading all the stories :)

From Our Farm Gate To Your Dinner Plate.

Friend Code : EE5C8E

1/29/2019 6:34:54 PM #14

Posted By Medussa at 10:32 AM - Tue Jan 29 2019

I looking forward to reading all the stories :)

Me too!

2/1/2019 8:28:57 PM #15

Hi - Hope you enjoy. Sorry, don't know how to format on these forums. Hope its not too long. Thanks for reading.

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

• Vall Ridder: Author’s planned primary character
  • Valion Ridder: Vall’s father
  • Atin Ridder: Vall’s grandfather
  • Teegan Ridder: Atin’s younger brother
  • Ridge Ridder: Atin’s youngest brother
  • Grimban: Count Ray (distant relative?)
  • Lord Maulvorn: Varuian Maulvorn (distant relative?)

The Ridder Legacy: It started here …

Present Day – Venesia County, northwestern Thearyn Duchy, and Kingdom of Alesia

“So our name comes from our profession?” The boy asked as he watched his father lay another log on the small campfire.

Several lengths from them a river’s soothing dance seemed to soften the mood as the boy glanced at a bridge up the hill just to their east among the towering trees and thick brush. Near by resided the remains of a decaying broken barn that was almost totally overgrown.

The tall tree’s lazily swayed with the breeze coming in from the ocean to the west as the treeline and valley stood at the base of a climbing mountain range in northwestern Thearyn Duchy. A crackling fire bounced sparks into the air periodically with each crackle and pop. Even though Vall shivered lightly, the soft illumination and comfort of the fire mixed in the heavy tree’s made the boy feel safer on his first outing away from the shelter of home in Loudoun Hill.

His Wolf Shepard curled up at his feet while cool fall air rustled the branches of the surrounding quercus oaks and maples. The young boy breathed in the flavored scent of the fire, it seemed to reassure him nothing could harm him in the wilds of the forests. The boy watched his father kneel back, adjust his sword while studying the log burn, the older man looked down smiling at his son and ruffled his hair. Vall also knew, nothing would hurt him with his father here.

“S’correct, we are riders, horsemen, Rangers. Sometimes for a crown, sometimes for an employer, but always for ourselves.” The man leaned over using a log to brace himself as he sat on the ground next to his son.

“For generations the Ridder’s have traveled the length of Luna and back, always on horses or aboard ships. Hence the name of being a rider stuck in the days of the old folks.” He pushed a small piece of meat on a stick over the flames.

Vall leaned forward with his own stick, a small slab of bacon hung over it. Fat grease slowly dripped as it cooked. Vall turned looking at the sound to his left, the pair of buckskin horse’s snorted as they chewed on grasses.

“Heh, I just realized son.” Valion spoke softly.

“Whats that father?" Vall replied as he tossed a piece of bacon in front of the Wolf Sheppard.

“Your grandfather and grandmother meet; just over there.” His father, Valion Ridder pointed at a small clearing beyond the horses. The man's voice warmed as he seemed to recall a story.

Vall leaned up, straining to see. He stretched his head and neck as far as he could to see over the horses at where his father was pointing, the dog lifted his head looking the same direction. At 5-years old, Vall could barely see over the log behind them, but his eyes grew as big as his smile at the story his father began to tell….

Three Score, Seasons Earlier

“This is suicide Cap’n, stand you and your men down until we push back and break their lines!” Duke Maulvorn grabbed Atin’s leg as the man began to pull his horse around. The rider adjusting his sword and the satchel across his shoulders.

Pausing the rider from darting off with his secret prize, the Duke wanted to talk sense into the stranger.

Atin looked down at the fierce Duke of Thearyn, the dukes leather and polished plate engraved armor creaked beneath a dark cloak as he gripped Atin’s leg and used his other hand to steady the agitated horse’s neck. Teegan and Ridge galloped up with swords and shields across their backs, torches in hand. Atin’s long hair seemed glued in a wet mess around his head as water ran off everyone’s scuffed and dirty armor. Atin flung the cape across his horse’s hind quarters and the saddle helping to protect the saddlebags contents from the blistering downpour.

Soldiers passed by in formation as the rain came down even harder in rolling curtains of nature’s fury! Torches were struggling to stay lit as the wind howled over the rocky coast lines and towering stone walls. The ground rumbled from hooves as the mounted heavy Thearyn Hussars rode just shy of a full gallop past them; moving to positions outside the walls to engage their advancing enemy in the open fields to the east of the port city, Thearyn, capital of the duchy. Their heavy armor clanking and clapping as the thunder of their horses hooves trampled the cobblestone and mud below them. Armor, swords, spears and shields ready for war!

Commanders and captains paced the length of the walls above them positioning archers, as sergeants barked orders while heavy equipment was pulled by draft horses and ursaphants toward the city gates. Behind the heavy equipment, men struggled by the grit of their backs in the downpour pushing the war machines through the mud that was turning into a quagmire.

“We must get these orders to Ironhall Maulvorn, the Baron’s men can join Aravier’s forces along Loudoun Hill to block your enemies retreat north into Vornair. Baron Grimsban has fast couriers! His contingent of Hussar’s can be ready!” Rain soaked Atin’s hair as water trailed down his face in the coastal downpour as he made his case to the Duke he had met only hours earlier. Lightning bolts danced through the low hanging clouds above briefly illuminating their faces and expressions.

While Lord Maulvorn looked equally as drenched, Atin knew he was right – it was a suicide mission. Teegan and Ridge protested at their older brother’s decision to even get involved, they were due to leave in the morning on board a Privateer’s ship for Port Royale.

Atin’s horse snorted and pranced in the rain and the mud, Atin could tell the horse was feeling the adrenaline beginning to build in its body.

“We’ll take the road along Sora and Arania ridges into Vesenia!” Lighting cracked in the air causing several nearby horses to rear up. Explosions could be heard rumbling through the darkening sky as a distant voice announce incoming flaming arrows. The distant shrieks and cries of civilians and peasants in the city echoed off the walls.

Lord Maulvorn brushed the soaking wet hair out of his face as he gripped Atin’s leg armor. The fur around the Dukes armored collar lay a soaking mess. His knights standing behind him, swords drawn and both staring at the newcomer with untrusting eyes, each ready to strike down the horsed rider Maulvorn was placing unwarranted trust in.

“My Lord, our lines are forming to the east. We need to leave now to direct the battle!” One of the Dukes commanders yelled from a doorway through the rain and the flickering light of torches and fires. Thick smoke billowed and rolled through the open cobblestone and mud courtyard, towering wooden and stone walls each lined the scene around them as the city gates had troops and militia streaming out to the eastern fields.

Lord Maulvorn looked back at his commander, then back up at the horse mounted man he barely knew. He gritted his teeth, paused, and then slapped Atin’s horse’s rear quarter.

“Go! Gods help you if you double cross me Atin Ridder, and may they also bless your trip.” Lightening cracked in the evening sky above as booming thunder rolled in off the ocean.

Atin reached down and the two men clasped arms briefly, Atin released his grip and whirled his finger in the air toward his brothers. He yanked the reins of his horse and dug in his heels.

“To Ironhall!” Atin shouted, Teegan and Ridge turned with him. “Hyahhh!”

And the three galloped through the rain and mud passing the Hussar columns, out the city gates and disappeared into the rain filled abyss of the growing dark night leaving the Duke behind in the rain watching them depart.

It had been half the night since the distant sounds of battle faded to the south and east, the moons hung at the peak of the sky above as small gaps in the storm clouds opened. The trio raced down the dirt and cobble road heading northwest. Their horses gasping for air as their nostrils flared, hair soaked, hooves and legs muddied.

Their cloaks flapped and trailed behind the three riders, the drenched cloaks weighed heavily against their armored bodies, the torches streamed fire behind them as they raced northward. The horse’s hooves thundered through the normally peaceful and beautiful Thearyn countryside. The three men had recently just passed down the same road on a drink and salted pork filled relaxing two day ride to the port city.

As the three riders pass through counties and near towns of Theayrn’s western corridor. Lightning flashes revealed a myriad of rock ledges and hills to their east with rolling hills, patch work forests and fields to their west. Well maintained fences periodically lined the road with cattle and livestock. Occasional views of the ocean to the west peeked through the curtains of rain or mist crashing against rocks. They passed over or through rivers which roared at the swell of rushing water and debris out of the hills and mountains to the east and northeast.

The signs of war could still be seen as militia, soldiers and knights passed by moving south or were scurrying around the hamlets, towns and walled cities the trio passed. Torches lit walls and gates as soldiers and mounted cavalry were all making preparations to defend their homes. Atin, Teegan and Ridge moved fast ignoring the locals as they passed up the main road to the northwest with desperate haste!

The clattering of hooves on the bridge slowed as the trio came to a stop just on the northern end of the river and bridge that marked the entry into the Venesian County, Ironhall was ahead beyond the towering forest. The rain had subsided some, but it was only a brief reprieve from the downpour they had been riding in all night; their horses, cloths, armor, everything; soaked through to the bone as the ocean gave its damp chilling onshore breeze reminding the men the pain of cold meant they were alive, and free.

“We must rest the horses Atin, and we need to pull out the dry torches.” Teegan said as he dismounted near an abandon barn.

“We need to eat!” Ridge barked as his sour mood reflected his deep hunger, the youngest of the three brothers was happiest when complaining it seemed; or when telling over inflated sea stories to the wenches and fair ladies alike.

“Ironhall has a garrison just ahead, we can meet with the garrison Captain who will take us to the Baron.” Atin instructed as the trio of men and horses took a desperately needed break.

“We hope he will.” Teegan replied tossing Ridge a wrapped meat pie.

Atin dismounted as well pulling the reins over his horses head and guiding the beast into the barn. As Atin tied up his steed he paused briefly, something faint had caught his attention. He furled his brow and reached into his saddle bags dismissing it. Moments later, there it was again, he strained his ears to listen holding his hand up to quiet his brothers as rain pattered the roof.

Slowly Atin turned and exited the abandon barn looking into the forest at a valley to the west across the road from them. Through the lightening, rain, mist and brush he saw it. He stepped forward and squinted, he briefly saw a lamp tumble and then heard a high pitch scream.

Turning he pointed at Ridge!

“Stay with the horses.” He quickly moved to his horse pulling the bow slinging it, “Teegan, with me!” Atin turned and sprinted across the road.

Teegan pulled his sword as well following Atin as Ridge began to protest! Teegan turned, “Stay here, do as Atin commanded!” And the pair disappeared into the brush.

Atin kept himself low as he moved through the brush and around the tree’s skirting the edge of an open valley. He heard the scream again, a girls scream. As he and Teegan grew closer he could hear the deep vocal taunting laughter they knew all too well from their time in the northlands.

“Brudvir?” Teegan whispered as he knelt next to Atin breathing hard, “This far south?”

Atin pulled the bow off his back handing it to Teegan, “Only two of them, get to a higher position and cover me.”

Splitting up, Atin quietly moved toward the scene as he held his long sword out before him ready, he closed in on the small camp that was now a disaster with debris and a wagon knocked over. Two large Brudvir youths were laughing as one held a young Neran woman in the air, her elegant sheen dress flowing in the breeze while being shook by the far larger Brudvir male. The northerner’s deep voices echoed through the trees as the second man pushed another young girl to the ground.

Atin paused kneeling to survey the area, and shook his head. “This is stupid. I’m never going to live this one down with Ridge.”

Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath, stood and walked out into the open. “Put her down blue berry!”

Atin barked in the most threatening voice he could muster, he flicked his cloak back, his shoulder length hair flung around his neck as the rain began to become steady again. Atin’s drenched hand gripped his sword even tighter to control his adrenaline and fear of the large northern warriors.

The two Brudvir stopped in shock, turned to look at him as did both Neran woman. The taller one lightly tossed the young woman to the ground, she skidded across the wet leaves and grass into a pile of bags next to the fire. She braced herself as she brushed her now dirty and wet long blonde hair out of her face and stared at the cloaked figure moving into the light of the fire, his sword gleaming. She couldn’t tell, but his dark eyes seemed to be staring back at her.

Time seemed to slow as Atin noticed the young woman’s nimble features, long wet flowing hair, and the look she gave him as she stared up at him. Behind her nimble vulnerability was something more that caught his attention.

The second male Brudvir stood, turned and pulled a large axe. As he did a whooshing sound whizzed by Atin and the blue skinned young warrior let out a deafening howl as a thick arrow slammed into the powerful northerner’s thigh! A second whoosh and an arrow pierced the Brudvir’s chest!

The second Brudvir began to charge Atin with fists ready letting out a ground shaking howl!

In the light of the moon and the crackling fire Atin and the young woman locked eyes briefly, Atin slowly nodding at her. He held her eyes for a brief moment, then pulling his weapon back he readied his sword and moved toward the charging Brudvir ….

To be continued, maybe …