COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
That game reminds me of Darkfall...i hope it wont have the same outcome

More than a decade ago a small gem appeared among the mmorpg genre,its was Darkfall Online by a small Greek company Called Aventurine.

Their official site very similar to the Chronicles of Elyria official site,it was little details about the progress of the game,you had to search for hours to find in what state the game is,how to join,the mechanics of the game,the lore etc... In the homepage it was full of amazing features such as a variety of characters with each have unique talents,strengths,abilities and many more differences. Really the site was very "rough" like this one but it had great community like COE,infinite chatting about the game and with each post the hype was bigger and bigger. The world was told it would be full of events,stuff to do,free to do anything you want and all the things rpg hardcore gamers want to hear.

We all were understanding due to the small team of people who were behind (if i remember correct it was 10 people before launch) this amazing game,lots of specullation and promises later,some beta testing hyped us even more and few delayed launches later the game was up and running but with half the unique features we were promised.

Anyway it didnt go well for the company neither for the players in the long run and the servers eventually died in 2 years,leaving us with memories of a game that could be truly amazing.

I believe COE is a gem,its like 100 steps above any other mmo right now,its hardcore,open world,survival,medieval/ancient mix and i really hope it becomes what both the developers and us the gamers deserve.

Europe

1/28/2019 8:39:05 PM #1

For those who don't know Darkfall it's also covered in #DOAG (Death of a game: darkfall online) on youtube...

1/28/2019 8:46:10 PM #2

it also had a dev team that for all intents and purposes didn't interact with their community at all, let alone take some of their concerns under consideration

from that aspect at least, the two dev teams (Aventurine and SBS) are about as polar opposite as you can get

i was a member of the Darkfall prelaunch community for over 2 years

1/28/2019 9:59:39 PM #3

Darkfall only had very basic lore and the world felt empty the majority of the time. The amount of thought that SBS has put in to lore and the 10 year story, along with the NPCs that will fill the world, will make this world feel drastically more alive and interesting. It is easy to remember darkfall's play any play style, large world and multiple races and say that these games were alike but in actuality they couldn't be more different.

1/28/2019 10:48:46 PM #4

Darkfall have better open world pvp i have never seen, is the better combat by far. Never felt nothing similar in other games. All the ideas that can bring of this type of combat will be welcome by me. as well as the full loot. Darkfall never became a great game because it did not have a good performance. But he has great ideas.

1/28/2019 11:20:19 PM #5

Posted By Dleatherus at 10:46 PM - Mon Jan 28 2019

it also had a dev team that for all intents and purposes didn't interact with their community at all, let alone take some of their concerns under consideration

from that aspect at least, the two dev teams (Aventurine and SBS) are about as polar opposite as you can get

i was a member of the Darkfall prelaunch community for over 2 years

They did interact with the community but much less than SBS.

Posted By Bayerd at 11:59 PM - Mon Jan 28 2019

Darkfall only had very basic lore and the world felt empty the majority of the time. The amount of thought that SBS has put in to lore and the 10 year story, along with the NPCs that will fill the world, will make this world feel drastically more alive and interesting. It is easy to remember darkfall's play any play style, large world and multiple races and say that these games were alike but in actuality they couldn't be more different.

I actually read a lot of pages of lore back in the days for DF and it was huge BUT in reality the lore never implemented in the actual game,thats what i'm afraid,all talk no action. Tbh there isn't any evidence for all the lore or the dynamic and alive world in COE,is just talk till now.

I became very suspicious and mistrustful about pre launch hype after DF.

I'm not saying SBS are the same at any case,just saying what's on my mind really...

Posted By kata at 12:48 AM - Tue Jan 29 2019

Darkfall have better open world pvp i have never seen, is the better combat by far. Never felt nothing similar in other games. All the ideas that can bring of this type of combat will be welcome by me. as well as the full loot. Darkfall never became a great game because it did not have a good performance. But he has great ideas.

Yes it was the best open world pvp i have seen too KATA,i'm 30 years old never experienced anything like this,and i hope i will experience it with COE but i'm still wary..

Europe

1/29/2019 12:18:46 AM #6

Those too young to remember may not recall DF started in Norway and relocated to Greece to take advantage of certain tax breaks and what not.

So unless the COE team up and relocates to some far away land (or starts working on gov't side projects like DF reportedly did) I wouldn't draw too many comparisons with it.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

1/29/2019 12:24:47 AM #7

I played Darkfall those tvo years and had tons of fun with my friends. And all of us waiting for years, that is the exact same thing as with CoE.

And i must say i love to wait for a MMO that really have hooked me. 2005 it was Darkfall, and 2018 it was CoE.

If people played gamed instead of whining on forums all the time we would have alot more games to choose from. Im stilled burned from SWG in 2005.

1/29/2019 10:37:39 AM #8

Its not whining at all,its a conversation between people with the same interest in playing a mmorpg that they only dreamed of.

COE has even more unbelievable never seen before features,like super smart ai that can run the world,very complicated mechanics like investigating someone who got murdered to find the actuall player killer!,huge map that you cant possibly walk all the way. Many games before COE claimed half of those features and never accomplised them and i dont know if 5millions are enough for that kind of project.

Europe