COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Venture on

In the time of knights, there were many nights who searched for fame and glory. These knights would go on a venture, or our common word adventure. It was very uncommon for a commoner to go in a venture because they did not have the right to be a knight. Knights were born out of lineage or prowess in battle. Knights would seek to go to tournaments to fight for their opponents weapons and armour and to also capture more famous knights in order to ransom them to their family. Now why do i post this thread and how is it relevant to COE? I would like to ask the question of shall our knights go on these ventures? Will adventures that non nobles or non knights be a adventure or a pilgrimage? There are many perks for all jobs in exploring. A blacksmith for example going from town to town apprenticing for other blacksmiths would have a much more diverse repertoire than blacksmiths who chose to stay in one place. There are many more ways exploring can be effective but i want you guys to answer my questions and give a reason that exploring is beneficial and how

The nicest pig in the world and a little cute.

2/1/2019 2:42:06 AM #1

I rather think that IRL commoners did not go on adventures because they couldn't afford the travel expenses.

I also rather think that IRL most knights did not go on adventures of their own accord, but as members of fighting forces organized under a feudal superior.

2/1/2019 3:02:24 AM #2

In the game sense there will /always/ be people traveling between settlements, however, I feel like most people would rather stay in the relative safety of hamlets or towns, if not in major cities.

Beyond that, most people who probably travel out and about will have some sort of combat skill, if they don't they probably have $ to hire some.

Exploration is beneficial because the game will not have everything shown/known at the beginning, starting the game simply with everything is kind of boring, the act of finding ruins, and not putting it on a map, because only you know of them, would be thrilling.

2/1/2019 5:05:18 AM #3

You keep saying knights were these glorious soldiers off on quests.

I do not think that is accurate. It might have been that way in poems, but poems aren't history. Most knights were soldiers who fought and died in bloody ways. They fought for power, wealth, and influence.

Knights in CoE will do the same.

2/1/2019 6:03:48 AM #4

Benefits of adventuring...

2/1/2019 2:29:08 PM #5

Posted By Damocles316 at 12:05 AM - Fri Feb 01 2019

I do not think that is accurate. It might have been that way in poems, but poems aren't history. Most knights were soldiers who fought and died in bloody ways. They fought for power, wealth, and influence.

I watched a few knight documentaries. According.to researchers my information is accurate.i never said glorious, but they did spend most of there winnings on the people for fame. Watch men in iron and other documentaries for more information.

2/1/2019 4:00:23 PM #6

Posted By Thecutepig at 09:29 AM - Fri Feb 01 2019

I watched a few knight documentaries. According.to researchers my information is accurate.i never said glorious, but they did spend most of there winnings on the people for fame. Watch men of iron and other documentaries for more information.

"Men of Iron" is based on a late 19th century fantasy novella.

2/1/2019 5:40:02 PM #7

Your belief is that soldiers who fought, bled, and died to earn power and wealth just gave it away to peasants so they would be liked?

That runs contrary to the entire culture of the era. The nobility and the military weren't loved, they were feared. They didn't rule with a velvet gloved hand, they ruled with an iron fist.

Please cite some scholarly sources. Men of Iron was historical fiction by an author that also wrote Arthurian Romances and tales of Robin Hood.

2/1/2019 5:54:54 PM #8

Posted By mickdude2 at 11:00 AM - Fri Feb 01 2019

Posted By Thecutepig at 09:29 AM - Fri Feb 01 2019

I watched a few knight documentaries. According.to researchers my information is accurate.i never said glorious, but they did spend most of there winnings on the people

"Men of Iron" is based on a late 19th century fantasy novella.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qnYIF1dyjq4 heres my sauce. Its about history not fantasy. Give it a watch @mikdude. P.S. your going to have a hard time in elyria

2/1/2019 6:30:13 PM #9

That's a TV Series. Game of Thrones is also a TV series, would you like me to claim that dragons were a part of the Medieval Era because game of thrones had them?

Scholarly sources would be journals, publications, etc.

2/1/2019 7:30:24 PM #10

Posted By Damocles316 at 1:30 PM - Fri Feb 01 2019

That's a TV Series. Game of Thrones is also a TV series, would you like me to claim that dragons were a part of the Medieval Era because game of thrones had them?

Scholarly sources would be journals, publications, etc.

Its a 3 part documentary. It is considered secondary sources. This 3 part series wouldn't have been publicized as a documentary and is considered a publication. They wouldn't call the people in this documentary experts if they did not study in that field. Please research before saying things that have no credibility

2/1/2019 10:19:33 PM #11

-4 to the OP? Whew, and people say my home has a tough crowd.

Not being quite the heavy roleplayer as some are here I don't have quite as a romantic notion of how knights and nobility will play out.

To keep it short, think of it along the lines of the medevial crusades or Knights Templer. (Who were by no means "the good guys."

Watch the movie Kingdom of Heaven if you want an example of how I see things going.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

2/1/2019 10:49:13 PM #12

I'll check it out. Most people are mad because Im breaking their immersion with facts and reality. I am also asking the question that would stimulate their creativity and imagination. The people who read the whole post without getting triggered about the facts on knights actually answer the question. Thank you for staying on subject. Some people are haters like mickdude, because he knows my warband is going to take his land day 1 of pvp. Other people are people who have imagination or the ability to focus on more than 40 words. Thank you again for staying on topic.

2/2/2019 12:24:24 AM #13

I would have loved to have been a knight in the old days ...

Traveling on blood money achieved by carrying out a king or barons orders bent on self-benificial gain ; reaping rewards such as gear and gold after causing trouble with those of less nobility and then slaying them , claiming that they had acted aggressively .

I’m going to like being a dirty scoundrel in COE : adored by all with a bloody sword and a red hand .

2/2/2019 3:11:10 AM #14

Posted By Thecutepig at 2:49 PM - Fri Feb 01 2019

I'll check it out. Most people are mad because Im breaking their immersion with facts and reality. I am also asking the question that would stimulate their creativity and imagination. The people who read the whole post without getting triggered about the facts on knights actually answer the question. Thank you for staying on subject. Some people are haters like mickdude, because he knows my warband is going to take his land day 1 of pvp. Other people are people who have imagination or the ability to focus on more than 40 words. Thank you again for staying on topic.

You are by no means breaking my immersion with facts and reality. For one thing, I'm not that immersed in the European Medieval fantasy aspects; in fact I consider them cliched and am eager to explore the tribes that do not fit in with that cliche. For another thing, I self-studied European Medieval history forty years ago and in the process expanded my conception of it beyond the romantic fantasies, in the direction of bloody-minded power fantasies.

2/2/2019 4:00:31 AM #15

I'm confused by this thread, all the knight stuff aside. It's pretty clear that everyone can be adventurers. It's stupid to compare how it was in RL back in the day. This all comes down to the type of player, that's all.