COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
True monsters

After having gone through one of my favourite reads/watches again recently, I think I've worked out how one of the game's easter eggs is going to be implemented. I won't go into how, or which (such things have much better impact when people know as little as possible, and the shock when people realise the scope of killing one is going to be terrific if I'm right), but it's got me thinking about just what dark and forgotten powers, beasts, and monsters SbS might throw into the game, and hungry to explore old tales of the conventional mythological terrors to find potential candidates.

In the interim, a question/discussion point we all might find interesting: What kinds of truly interesting monsters of mythology (or legend) do you know of that might make good candidates? Not just monstrous, or terrifying, or dangerous. Why. What are the particulars that make this thing so much stranger, so much more threatening, than others? What made them so hard to kill - if they were ever truly killed? Were they renowned terrors responsible for mass murder and mayhem, or quiet things lurking in the forgotten corners of the world, awaiting the unfortunate and reckless in their holes? And if they were killed, who did it? What are some variants of their legends that might make for interesting story?

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

2/3/2019 7:23:48 PM #1

I prefer show and tell better than show and dont tell or tell and dont show.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

2/3/2019 9:33:09 PM #2

Chimeras are supposedly made from alchemy. My bet is on slendyman being a monster who hunts farmers. Wakanda

The nicest pig in the world and a little cute.

2/3/2019 10:48:40 PM #3

Maybe a giant Lion,

Maybe a Medusa,

Kind of orcs or some monsters similar to Trolls.

Maybe a Bigfoot shaped.

Witches or superhuman beasts.

The water is another dimension where you can fly but you can't breathe

Friend code: 18B4C8

2/3/2019 11:48:32 PM #4

@OP: Did you read about a trained and mutated monster slayer by any chance? ;)

As others have already mentioned chimeras would make for great mythological monsters that only the most proficient of adventurer groups could kill.

Somebody mentioned alchemy so golems might also be an interesting foe. These might be too magical for CoE, though.

There needs to be some weak everyday monster that is somewhat mythological and quite strong in numbers. Something like goblins for example.

Just imagine goblins being so weak that no experienced adventurer would go for them. But a horde of these goblins would indeed pose a rather big threat for a village.
This would make for an interesting story, imho. :)

Monsters such as pteroguins and canis-rabbits are already quite interesting and scary. So I'm quite curious about what other monsters SbS can come up with.

2/4/2019 1:27:41 AM #5

The true monsters are mann... imagine the terrors they have imposed on the creatures of Elyria that led to them dominating the entire planet.

All other monsters are amatuers compared the the terror/violence that mann can muster.

2/4/2019 9:36:14 AM #6

Maybe a Hydra!

2/4/2019 10:51:29 AM #7

Posted By WarlanderLichbane at 05:23 AM - Mon Feb 04 2019

I feel like there is a huge hole in common foes for mann to fight or rally against with only in fighting between the kingdoms and tribes would in time become boring if there were no mosters to fight.

I don't think there's a hole so much as potential. The content we know about coming up to launch isn't going to be the entirety of the content available. SbS has clued us in on some of the easter eggs we might see in the game (early on there was talk of vampires and liches), and with the scale of the world I imagine there's going to be no shortage of little secrets seeded about the continents. And... not so little secrets.

Personally I would much rather play a monster race over mann.

I think we'll eventually see multiplayer games with this sort of setup. The demand's there, but it'd be a hard thing to balance.

Posted By Turlorn at 09:48 AM - Mon Feb 04 2019

@OP: Did you read about a trained and mutated monster slayer by any chance? ;)

Nope, not a bad guess though :P

As others have already mentioned chimeras would make for great mythological monsters that only the most proficient of adventurer groups could kill.

Whatever their origins, I can definitely see chimaeric mutations being an alchemy easter egg. There's a lot of potential there. If not through alchemy, possibly as a result of Daemonic intervention in the affairs of the world - created and sent to sow discord with purpose, as opposed to an accident of creation.

Somebody mentioned alchemy so golems might also be an interesting foe. These might be too magical for CoE, though.

I think this would depend ultimately on the scope of alchemy. Liches, for example, might wind up being able to discover applications of crafts that mundane people cannot access; alchemy might be necessary for a lich to create artificial life, which could serve as a stronger alternative to undead for servants/guardians.

Goblins I'm not too big on personally, mainly because we already have the Kipiq. I do think we'll wind up seeing some variant races, though. Dhampyr are possibly a thing, after all.

One thing I'm really hoping for is easter eggs (read: monsters) that lay dormant underground until their lair is breached by excavators. No ruins, no markers or anything designating their position. Just a few random pockets of structure seeded into the world, each housing something best left undisturbed. Something that might be able to clear a continent if the conditions for its awakening and recovery are all met.

2/4/2019 12:31:39 PM #8

I'm a big fan of the mimics from the Dark Souls series, and there's plenty of room to expand on them.

If you aren't familiar, these are monsters that disguise themselves (in the case of Dark Souls) as treasure chests- trying to open a mimic chest will result in it eating your character.

That means the rule of approaching chests in Dark Souls is to always hit it first in order to reveal (and aggro) it if it is a mimic. The catch is that once you aggro a mimic, it's still a very dangerous enemy, and will kill the shit out of you if you aren't prepared.

So that brings in a decision for a player to make whenever they come across a chest: are they willing to risk fighting a mimic, or do they want to move on and come back later?

In CoE, of course, a mimic could be all kinds of things.

2/4/2019 3:06:46 PM #9

REALLY REALLY REALLY BIG PANDAS

2 Story building size like the one from avatar

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

2/4/2019 3:53:22 PM #10

Posted By Scheneighnay at 07:31 AM - Mon Feb 04 2019

I'm a big fan of the mimics from the Dark Souls series, and there's plenty of room to expand on them.

If you aren't familiar, these are monsters that disguise themselves (in the case of Dark Souls) as treasure chests- trying to open a mimic chest will result in it eating your character.

That means the rule of approaching chests in Dark Souls is to always hit it first in order to reveal (and aggro) it if it is a mimic. The catch is that once you aggro a mimic, it's still a very dangerous enemy, and will kill the shit out of you if you aren't prepared.

So that brings in a decision for a player to make whenever they come across a chest: are they willing to risk fighting a mimic, or do they want to move on and come back later?

In CoE, of course, a mimic could be all kinds of things.

What would be great is if "mimics" could be other players, until interacted with and they try to chew someone's head off.

"Honestly Constable, I thought she was a mimic hence I lopped her head off, my bad."

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

2/4/2019 4:36:55 PM #11

Higher fantasy races like goblins, orcs, or trolls etc would be great additions to the game. Here is to hoping they make a cameo during story arcs.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

2/4/2019 5:03:53 PM #12

My safe bet is that most "monsters" in Elyria are just chimeras and percieved by Elyrians as wild beasts. But probably some gigantic humanoid is possible too. Or somethnig like a wyrm/dragon. With the climbing and parkour mechanics i kind of hope that we will maybe see some big or gigantic creatures that must be climbed in order to attack weakspots, like Dragon's Dogma or Shadow of the Colossus and need normaly a huge number of players to take down.

Personaly, i like the concept of the monster that is a human head with spider legs, It is a monster that chops down the victm's head and takes i'ts places in order to disguise as a human. Don't have idea from wich mytology it is but sounds cool to me, saw that in a old D&D monster manual. Also in the world of Bas Lag, in the China Miéville novels, there are a similar creature, but it is a humanoid hand. It's a kind of creature more suited to DarkFantasy settings, but Elyria could have a bit of Dark Fantasy IMO.

2/4/2019 7:54:42 PM #13

Posted By Scheneighnay at 10:31 PM - Mon Feb 04 2019

I'm a DS vet myself, very familiar with them... and definitely. More, I'd love to see some classic D&D mimics. There's some amazing potential for them, depending on how fantasy-esque they would be if implemented... imagine killing a lich and finding their phylactery in the next room - only to have the door close behind you after you approach, and the floor and roof grow teeth...

Alternately, mimics could simply be a naturally-occuring beast with an affinity for precious metals that kills anything attempting to steal its food.

Posted By Kyleran at 01:53 AM - Tue Feb 05 2019

What would be great is if "mimics" could be other players, until interacted with and they try to chew someone's head off.

"Honestly Constable, I thought she was a mimic hence I lopped her head off, my bad."

Wouldn't these be dopplegangers? Either way, these would also be an interesting thing to see in the game, especially as a talent - or in numbers as AI-controlled invaders in a story event.

Posted By WarlanderLichbane at 02:36 AM - Tue Feb 05 2019

Yeah I hear that.

Much is still unknown about the monsters and rare monsters and I agree that I dont really need or want to know about them until we see them for the surprise factor.

And I also imagine that each story arc will likely have an ever escalating themed mob type that is introduced as the fantasy gets racheted up. Which could bring any unknown amount of numbers, frequency, or difficulty level vs local, county, duchy, kingdom, continental, or world events potentially. At least least thats my hope.

Agreed. This is one of the more interesting parts for me - just how much the story will veer toward full-fledged fantasy (or away from it into a sci-fi hybrid) over the course of the planned story arc.

But it is still an unkown wildcard factor that could be wide spread or non existant for a while. For all we know it could start silently or effect only an ecosystem first and take years to start noticing the fantasy creep in and build up until its noticeably in your face.

And this is what I'm really hoping for with events in general - that things won't be announced, just started quietly with a few subtle story hooks to individual players throughout the affected areas or their neighbouring areas, which snowball slowly or quickly depending on how (or if) those story hooks are engaged.

I imagine things would need to be announced to the public at some point once a notable milestone in the event's introductory sequence is reached - a plague consumes a whole village, the rumours regarding the beast snatching people who are out after dark culminating in the death of a noble or other famous personage, a large force being spotted moving across the land toward a neighbour... but while it's something they could do, it could be much more interesting if they let us spread the word instead - or not. As far as DMing goes, it really depends on if they're the kind to intervene with hints and clues, or simply observe and let the players make their own decisions as much as possible - for better or worse.

And the last thing about monsters is to consider that it could get crazy in time so it is important for us to get settled, established, and create connections and friends or enemies before the story shifts gears. Just when we think they have the world or our small corner of it under control we could all be thrown a curveball.

Posted By Eurickdm at 03:03 AM - Tue Feb 05 2019

Personaly, i like the concept of the monster that is a human head with spider legs, It is a monster that chops down the victm's head and takes its places in order to disguise as a human. Don't have idea from wich mytology it is but sounds cool to me, saw that in a old D&D monster manual. Also in the world of Bas Lag, in the China Miéville novels, there are a similar creature, but it is a humanoid hand. It's a kind of creature more suited to DarkFantasy settings, but Elyria could have a bit of Dark Fantasy IMO.

Yeah, tabletop RPGs are a gold mine for this sort of thing. I'd be curious to know this creature's origin, if you're ever able to dig it up.

I think the potential's definitely there for a dark fantasy/apocalypse scenario. If I'm right on my mystery creature, I expect many of those easter eggs will have horrifying potential if allowed to hit critical mass - particularly the ones acquirable by players. That said, I don't think we'd see the kind of scale of, say, FFXIV's End of An Era (without angering the gods in some way), but I can see continental civilisations potentially rising and falling based on how a threat is handled.

2/4/2019 9:08:06 PM #14

I really hope their is a 'generic' Baddie type, like an Orc or goblin...etc Something that is present in certain areas that we fighters can hunt or something.

2/4/2019 9:56:22 PM #15

The Elyrian version of dinosaur type creatures, really old and large, maybe a Loch Ness type creature...

Be Calm, Be Strong, Be Grateful