COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Private quarters

This is a discussion on waste. Animals will prolly go poop, but had the dev said anything about npcs and us pooping? If we poop what would your method of disposing of the bodily waste. I personally plan to dump it down stream. I think it would be hilarious to make trash and waste specifically to dump into a river flowing to another village and i imagine many others will do the same.

The nicest pig in the world and a little cute.

2/4/2019 12:32:31 PM #1

From the beginning they have been clear that players and NPCs will not be producing waste. However, sanitation is likely still something you are going to have consider as part of town/city planning:

Yes, so we talked before about the need to have different types of buildings and there were people who were awfully upset at us previously for not pulling the ARK Survival and allowing you to poo in this game. But even if you cannot periodically hit the Z button you still have a need for sanitation. SO in order for villages to grow or towns to grow beyond a certain size to support sanitation you have to build certain types of sanitation type things.

Source - YouTube Q&A

Animal waste is much more likely to be in as they have mentioned it being used as fertilizer in the same Q&A. Though exactly how it is handled in game is still unknown.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

2/4/2019 2:07:52 PM #2

What is the sanitation for if there's no poop? @victoriarachel

2/4/2019 2:09:18 PM #3

Posted By Thecutepig at 09:07 AM - Mon Feb 04 2019

What is the sanitation for if there's no poop? If you have any ideas besides rotten trash pliss mention. Thank you for the quote @victoriarachel

2/4/2019 2:33:23 PM #4

Sanitation adds to the game, it is something to consider that makes large settlements have an additional mechanic to consider. Having the risk of disease etc. adds a lot to the possible stories.

Having to poop does not.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

2/4/2019 7:29:59 PM #5

In our real world the reason most large scale plagues happened was because of people and animals living too close together in too large of numbers, causing the spread of disease. So sanitation is something that should absolutely be considered for the game, since the devs have already shown an interest in how large plagues would affect everyone, as shown by the Searing Plague event.

However, an individual having to deal with their characters own biological functions (in a manner similar to ARK) is stupid and has no place here. It's already been done for shock value in that game, we don't need it here.

Death is just another path, one we all must take

Friend Code: C8DF9C

2/4/2019 9:53:36 PM #6

The existence and effect of waste products can be abstracted into game systems such as a need for sanitation facilities. This eliminates the need for specific animations and server events to produce the objects that need to be sanitized. Other systems are already abstracted to some extent. For example, wells and taverns eliminate the need for explicit water-fetching and food-acquiring actions.

Pooping, if present as a discrete activity, should not be entirely voluntary, anyways. One should suffer negative consequences from not pooping (e.g., reduced effectiveness from constipation), lose voluntary control of it with some diseases and pharmaceuticals, and so forth. That's all getting a little too detailed even for the survival genre, IMO, never mind the pre-adolescent grossness appeal and ick factor.

Then again, consider the Scott Evil suggestion: "Just shoot him while he's taking a dump." Who wants to have that happen to their character? Moreover, who wants to have a game featuring camping of latrines? Maybe the aforementioned pre-adolescents, but most other folks would consider it tedious.

2/4/2019 11:13:45 PM #7

Ok seriously, why the fuck do you do nothing but click bait titles? It was weird at first, now it's just annoying. Can you just stop? That be really nice.

2/6/2019 7:53:18 AM #8

Oh, I don't know, Gunnlang. The topics can be annoying, but at least they provide something to talk about. This one, in particular, is new to me, whereas most of the others that newer participants post have all been talked to permadeath. Without Piggy, I wouldn't have half as much reason to log in.

2/6/2019 11:03:31 AM #9

Human waste makes for great fertilizer, just as animal manure. But it also carries the danger of spreading desease via the produce.

In the past human waste was used to fertilize cale or create terra preta do indigo.
On many farms human waste was dumped at the same place were animal manure was dumped and collected.

In medieval cities it was simply thrown out the window.
Nowadays compost toilets are a great way of collecting and treating human waste in order to make it a good ferlizier.

But I understand when the devs don't want to implement this as a mechanic and rather limit it to animal manure.

2/6/2019 11:25:48 AM #10

First you want to breed with animals, now you want to float your poop down a river to another town? I'm a bit worried what you will ask for next.

2/6/2019 1:32:25 PM #11

Posted By Poldano at 6:53 PM - Wed Feb 06 2019

Oh, I don't know, Gunnlang. The topics can be annoying, but at least they provide something to talk about.

You misunderstand me. I got no problem with the OP making topics. When I saw this thread, I thought it would be about the title, so something about private/hidden rooms. What people were thinking about doing, something along those lines. Which at least to me would be interesting.

But seems the OP is either just trolling or doesn't even know how to make a title about the subject.

2/7/2019 4:16:58 AM #12

Posted By Gunnlang at 05:32 AM - Wed Feb 06 2019

Posted By Poldano at 6:53 PM - Wed Feb 06 2019

Oh, I don't know, Gunnlang. The topics can be annoying, but at least they provide something to talk about.

You misunderstand me. I got no problem with the OP making topics. When I saw this thread, I thought it would be about the title, so something about private/hidden rooms. What people were thinking about doing, something along those lines. Which at least to me would be interesting.

But seems the OP is either just trolling or doesn't even know how to make a title about the subject.

Ah!

The apparent change of subject is more like a play on words to native English speakers. The definitions and etymology of the English word privy might help clarify this.