COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
evil characters

I was just wondering if there are players planning to play actually evil characters? I don't mean Robin Hood kind of evil where they use deviant methods to actually acieve something ethnically acceptable. Nor do I consider mercenaries/assassins and so on evil in that sense. I'm talking about psychopathic mainiacs who for example try to kill all men or women or children* in a certain town or organise a genocide to kill all Hrothi or whatever... (i know, you can't kill children before a certain age in CoE, but you get my point.) In terms of story and conflict it would certainly be interesting!

(please, don't confuse "evil" characters with "evil" players here - im NOT talking about griefing, pking etc...)

*edited due to a comment

2/5/2019 4:29:54 PM #1

so your topic is killing everyone, but not about pking? thats weird... and it would be kinda weird to play an evil character without being an evil player, at least imo...

whatever. I guess, evil characters will exist. their number depends on your definition of evilness.

Friend Code: 30EF47

2/5/2019 5:19:47 PM #2

Cookie-cutter evil characters are plain boring, imho.

Psychopathic morder hobos will exist in the beginning but then literally die out.

Whether somebody is a hero or a bad guy depends on the side you're on.

I much prefer well written characters that are neither knight in shining armor nor evil demon from hell but humans that all follow their own goals and incentives and operate in a grey area.

I guess the devs will tune the Soulbound engine in such a way that it causes lots of possible conflict and pits the players against each other, thus creating "heroes" and "evil guys" automatically.

Maybe some experienced GMs in here can tell us more about creating realistc evil characters.

2/5/2019 5:29:33 PM #3

There is no light without darkness,

I'm pretty sure there will be evil characters since the Soulbound engine creates a unique storyline based on your behaviour at the start.

Once you took the dark path it will only be darker, will be really difficult to change path since the missions will be generated based on your soul and your actions.

Indeed there will be evil players as each player may have his/her individual goals.

Personally, I think there will be certain limits to how evil a person can be, however, these limits will be really hard to reach. The game will leave the decisions to the gamers it selfs.

I must admit that will be an interesting development that even CoE creators can't predict or control.

The water is another dimension where you can fly but you can't breathe

Friend code: 18B4C8

2/5/2019 6:18:48 PM #4

Posted By Gromschlog at 08:29 AM - Tue Feb 05 2019

so your topic is killing everyone, but not about pking? thats weird... and it would be kinda weird to play an evil character without being an evil player, at least imo...

whatever. I guess, evil characters will exist. their number depends on your definition of evilness.

Well, every actor knows that the villains are the most fun parts -- but very few actually aspire to such things irl ... so ...

That said, unimaginative "I'm evil so I want to kill everyone" or "I'm racist evil so I want to kill of of X race" are boring characters -- and are usually just an excuse to be a jerk ingame. Hopefully there will actually be some real Koch or Cheney or Moriarty kind of evil players -- both because that might be fun and because that might be fun to oppose.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

2/5/2019 9:02:27 PM #5

Considering that “evil” is in the eye of the beholder my guess is there will be evil actors in CoE.

Example religion

The two-fold queen desires balance. So someone who follows that religion may be asked to kill/sacrifice someone. The act of killing someone is a negative Karma action and will drive them toward the dark spectrum. While their religion will see this as a light Karma action.

So as We currently understand the system(s) it’s possible to be a devout member of a religion but also have a darker soul than a follower of another religion.

Evil is different and has a different connotation than your typical black/white style game we’re used to in CoE. I fully expect some to end up evil without actually trying to be and visa versa.

2/5/2019 10:57:08 PM #6

Hi mate I am as Evil as I can get .. ask around :-). I will write a book how to be Evil in an Mmorpg . I will be janoan , And Janoa are dangerous lol .
As soon as we will know more game mechanics we can see our player will use deviant skill . Being evil in Coe will be more complex that in other games. Player will have more way to be Evil and punishments will be adequate to the crime.

2/5/2019 11:36:46 PM #7

Yes, yes there will be "evil" characters.

We must locate Anara Starsong, convince her to aid us in our cause: to free the antepyrovians so callously trapped by the vile Children of Mann, such that we may return Elyria to the paradise the Qin created not the scarred and tortured land where only Mann is welcome.

Link to my story

2/6/2019 2:28:04 AM #8

I wish my character would start out chaotic good, get lost along the way and turn to an evil path then have a redemption arc just before his death.

I wonder how complex the soulbound engine will truely be, and how much attention players will pay to it. I'm probably overhyping it lol.

2/6/2019 3:03:30 AM #9

I actually find psycho killers extremely boring, one note, and unstimulating.

I wanna see people play more complex villains, and I don't mean playing sympathetic villains. Those have a place sure, but I'd like to see complex villains who are genuinely evil.

2/6/2019 4:49:21 AM #10

I kinda want to play a character where I attempt to destabilize the region so that I can then roll in with a militia and get an independent state.

Either that or a sly capitalist who values money over all else.

The Keshi family, is intend on bringing democracy and economic stability to Elyria.

2/6/2019 4:57:52 AM #11

Posted By Sackeshi at 8:49 PM - Tue Feb 05 2019

I kinda want to play a character where I attempt to destabilize the region so that I can then roll in with a militia and get an independent state.

Either that or a sly capitalist who values money over all else.

Or play as a COE Dick Cheney and do both.

Seriously, I hope that people who play evil don’t just say “I want to do evil stuff.” I hope they look around the world and in literature and find evil characters and put together a character based on that kind of complexity. Not just a backstory like “A Kypiq killed my sister so now I want to eat all Kypiqs.” Something that makes sense, and makes sense based on character personality.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

2/6/2019 5:38:18 AM #12

Posted By Gnox at

I was just wondering if there are players planning to play actually evil characters? I don't mean Robin Hood kind of evil where they use deviant methods to actually acieve something ethnically acceptable. Nor do I consider mercenaries/assassins and so on evil in that sense. I'm talking about psychopathic mainiacs who for example try to kill all women or children in a certain town or organise a genocide to kill all Hrothi or whatever... (i know, you can't kill children before a certain age in CoE, but you get my point.) In terms of story and conflict it would certainly be interesting!

(please, don't confuse "evil" characters with "evil" players here - im NOT talking about griefing, pking etc...)

Why is it that only women and children are killed by "psychopathic mainiacs", what about men?

Unless you're trying to imply only men are " psychopathic mainiacs" who kill women and children.

This post seems really sexist, in game or out.

Now, to answer your question of "I was just wondering if there are players planning to play actually evil characters?"

Yes, these players will be called "griefers" by the community. lol

If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization. -Robert Noyce

2/6/2019 7:48:37 AM #13

Like you said, children aren't allowed to be killed, so there will definitely be some moral boundaries set in place by the game itself, mostly to make the game more marketable, and to keep the tone from getting too dark.

With that in mind, I think the extent to which a character can be evil will be a bit limited, although I wouldn't underestimate the human mind's ingenuity when it comes to dastardly villainy.

Referral Code: 912EC9

2/6/2019 7:48:53 AM #14

CoE will not really distinguish evil characters from evil players, in my opinion. Do as you wish, but be prepared to accept (i.e., don't expect sympathy for) whatever consequences your actions entail.

2/6/2019 8:36:44 AM #15

Posted By Lord_Greystoke at 06:38 AM - Wed Feb 06 2019

Why is it that only women and children are killed by "psychopathic mainiacs", what about men?

Unless you're trying to imply only men are " psychopathic mainiacs" who kill women and children.

This post seems really sexist, in game or out.

Now, to answer your question of "I was just wondering if there are players planning to play actually evil characters?"

Yes, these players will be called "griefers" by the community. lol

I'm sorry if I offended any female psychopathic maniac who wants to kill just anyone regardless of sex or gender. I was just using clishe examples. Of course both women and men (and diverse) should be able to murder whoever they please... wait, what?!

(and agian, with less irony: I certainly didn't want to be sexist here. If anyone felt offended by the example - I'm truely sorry!)

about the "griefers": i think there's a huge difference about well designed characters who kill others for whatever crazy reason and players who kill for fun or because they want to annoy others. That's why I was asking.

So I guess the genuine answer is: so called "evil characters" are only fun when they are well designed and thus neither black nor white. complex villians with complex ambitions however are interesting! that's what i take as an answer for now. thanks everyone.

feel free to add ideas how such a complex villian could be designed.

@Augustus_Aquila: I'd love to see that book! :)