COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Valentine's Day Massacre

We don't hear much from the Role Playing community about possible in game social issues, so i thought I'd bring up a possible in game "romantic" scenario considering Valentines Day is closing in on us.

I'm curious to how Child Contracts work with romantic couples and laws pertaining to them, as in, if your "baby momma" or "baby daddy" made a child contract with someone else, can you, to retain your progeny Intact, for a lack of a better word, do an "honor killing" of said baby parent in the heat of passion?

Crimes of passion happen, so in a RP context, will anyone (Kings,Duke, Counts, Judges) tackle these kinds of tough social issues?

Will it be outlawed? Will the courts be lenient if proven a crime of passion? Can we still freely shank the kid when it becomes of age? Will there be designated "Biblical" type sanctuary cities for them to flee for 7 years? What do the commoners think?

Am I an offensive pig? (not trying to be).., feel free to PM me cursing me out (I can take it, I've been married before -lol).. I want to hear from everyone!!!

If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization. -Robert Noyce

2/8/2019 12:07:07 PM #1

Lol. Im a pig and i can tell you that you are not a pig. I think that honor killings for roleplaying purposes would be a fun idea. Totally would get you arrested in most places, but honor killings were done a very long time ago for heir purposes. Im sure that if the system would allow the other child to inherit more, the honor killing would be justifiable.

The nicest pig in the world and a little cute.

2/8/2019 3:18:23 PM #2

It'd be interesting to see how the contract wording evolves as these sorts of things come up, since I imagine that would have a lot to do with what's considered legal and not.

If there were a clause in the contract outlining that no other children can be had with another person, and violating the contract had punishments outlined either in the contract itself or via local law, I imagine an 'honor killing,' banishment, etc, would certainly not be out of the question.

If the contract does allow children by another, or relations out of wedlock (or other union ceremonies), and there's no local law against those things, it may be a lot more difficult to commit your vengeance act without any legal repercussions yourself. Because then, in that case, no contract or law has actually been broken.

I suppose it goes to prove the importance of contracts and contract writers/lawyers/similar professions.

2/8/2019 6:21:11 PM #3

I think there is a word in Elyria that changes so much social interaction when compared with other roleplay settings: Contract.

As you say this is a child contract. It is not two people having a child through passion alone, it is a choice and an agreement. It is something where you you actually sit and agree fundamentals of how, and who, will be raising that child. What culture, what religion, who the child would be an heir of. There is so much that is agreed at the start that I wonder where those crimes of passion against the other parent or against the child would come from.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.