COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Borders and Flags

Since the borders will not be clearly visible, it will be up to the players to determine and make clear the borders. So I ask a few questions.

1. Do you think kingdoms should have visible borders or keep them completely open?

Now with flags, flags are great for clearly telling places apart. They are the visible names of countries/kingdoms.

1. Do you think all Kingdoms should have flags?

2. Are you going to have a flag?

The Keshi family, is intend on bringing democracy and economic stability to Elyria.

2/11/2019 3:40:55 PM #1

OMG open. 100% hands down has to be open. If I'm walking along and there is a bold black line on the ground and crossing it says "welcome to k3!" Imma protest :P

Your other questions though, yeah I think kingdoms will have flags/banners/guidons. Most gentry + will have coats of arms, with the higher you get providing you fancier pieces.

That being said, I don't think the average person is going to have a Flag. I personally won't have a flag even though I have a coat of arms. Maybe a nice banner over my fireplace though.

2/11/2019 3:54:55 PM #2

Open borders all the way.

Don't have time to go into the details here.

1. All kingdoms should have flags, giving an intangible organisation some tangible representation.

2. Yes, I want to have flags for my city, my house.

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren

2/11/2019 4:19:53 PM #3

I'd say every body with a domain and as such domain borders will have some kind of visual identification to display.

Each domain having specific laws, you'd need a way to tell travelers that they entered a new law area and with it potential new law enforcement area.

Also, forget about kingdoms as the most important entity. Kingdoms are important and they have a tremendous role in large scale affairs, but for most people what borders matter are the county borders, or for the most daring travelers, the duchy borders, but unless they already live close to their kingdom border most character wont care.

2/11/2019 5:27:04 PM #4

You forgot to mention Walls. Throught history many places had walls to mark their borders, some still have, and we're talking about places bigger than cities, it's possible that someone want to make that a reality in Elyria.

2/11/2019 6:38:07 PM #5

I, for one, like the idea of destructable banners automatically being part of the land, being removable or replaceable for Mayors/Barons on up, where going from one set of laws to another. If you choose to build rock walls they can be removed if desired. The banners also need to be replaceable for land sales or change of ownership by other means. Great idea...

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

2/11/2019 7:06:12 PM #6

Besides walls and signage, borders tend to coincide with - and occur along - natural boundaries. In CoE, if you look at the various server maps, you'll notice that the borders are all at transition points between biomes.

SO, while a literal line would be ridiculous and some sort of man-made barriers will be possible if not likely, natural boundaries will be there to mark our borders, at least at the outset of the game.

2/12/2019 7:07:18 AM #7

Are you kidding....? Walls... Towers... Wooden palisades.... Patrols.... Check points in and out..... Barony all along the borders.... If I add more ideas I will do it..... We will protect our own in Arkadia at all cost.

2/12/2019 7:30:27 AM #8

Posted By Augustus_Aquila at 6:07 PM - Tue Feb 12 2019

Are you kidding....? Walls... Towers... Wooden palisades.... Patrols.... Check points in and out..... Barony all along the borders.... If I add more ideas I will do it..... We will protect our own in Arkadia at all cost.

Good luck guarding that much border with any consistency.

2/12/2019 9:40:07 AM #9

I don't want to to see any black borderlines on the ground but I would like the border system to tie in with what knowledge your character has.

So only if you have gained that knowledge, commonly due to being in possession of a map, then as you cross the border I'm not against a textual notification that you have crossed into x Kingdom or y Duchy.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

2/12/2019 10:39:23 AM #10

Posted By Ineluki at 07:30 AM - Tue Feb 12 2019

Posted By Augustus_Aquila at 6:07 PM - Tue Feb 12 2019

Good luck guarding that much border with any consistency.

No problem covering all borders if you got a full Duchy at your disposal and I got that.

2/12/2019 5:30:38 PM #11

I wouldn't be so sure. I just grabbed a random duchy from map B and added a scale to it. I would think an average duchy would have 30-50Km of border to worry about. Far too much wall off or even patrol.

https://i.imgur.com/QN2b2N6.png

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

2/12/2019 6:35:05 PM #12

Open, and I think kingdoms and duchies at least will definitely have flags.

regarding walls, besides berlin and china wall I do not remember many people building long/big walls on the borders to divide themselves (not a historian, so may be wrong). Outposts, castles along the border - that's more doable.

So when it comes to CoE, well, one thing I would assume kingdom borders will provide some sort of visual cue like - start of the swamp, mountain range, forest, that indicates start of another kingdom, then the question is - how are you crossing the border? if you are following the road, I'd say most would either have a guardpost at the border or some sort of sign like "You're entering kingdom X". If you are going through woods and find yourself in another kingdom, again you either should know what visual indications you should expect, or, you should ask whenever you stumble in the first city, what kingdom are you in, since, even with different laws, I do not expect laws being something like "you must walk pants less", and if you do get caught doing something illegal in the kingdom, guards will surely notify you x). So if you do get in trouble by breaking rules in another kingdom, it's somewhat on you as it's not that easy as - you went out to pick flowers and suddenly you're in another kingdom, if you are - you traveled for a long time without informing yourself of your surroundings or you live at the border and must surely know where the border is.

2/12/2019 7:54:34 PM #13

Some biome will be easy to guard then other. The Rainforest will be easy. In Exposition we will see if I am right or not

2/13/2019 12:53:35 AM #14

Posted By ZeroCool at 12:30 PM - Tue Feb 12 2019

I wouldn't be so sure. I just grabbed a random duchy from map B and added a scale to it. I would think an average duchy would have 30-50Km of border to worry about. Far too much wall off or even patrol.

Length of the Great Wall of China: 21,196 kilometers (13,170 miles)

50 KM....pbbbft, piece o' cake.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

2/13/2019 7:56:36 AM #15

Yeah everyone hold hands and make a Mann-chain 😂

Friend & Conquest Code: 6B3A23