COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Combat Theory/Ideas

I know this is a sensitive topic, mainly because no one is promoting or talking about combat in CoE. I imagine the pressure is high now and SbS doesn’t want to let us down in that area. I support that. Albeit, I often wonder and fantasize about how the combat will be. As a fan of the Witcher series, I think something along this line would be possible. In The Witcher the combat although it was not extremely realistic, it still felt fun and mobile with some weight behind your sword; also allowing you an opportunity to naturally parry and evade an opponents attack.

Place a cursor on your opponent

Imagine having the ability to activate your cursor to attack a certain limb. You focus on your specific target and if the cursor lights up, it will identify the chance of damage you can do to a player.

Example: If the cursor is red it will do less damage. If the cursor is orange it will do mild damage and if the cursor is green it would do the highest damage—while also having a chance to break a piece of that armor or dealing a critical or fatal wound.

Keep in mind these are not automatic hits. If you see the cursor green and go for it, there is still a chance your opponent can block, dodge or parry your attack.

This is just my humble contribution or suggestion. Let us know what you would like to see in CoE combat.

2/14/2019 8:46:06 PM #1

From what SBS has said before I think the different combat styles will make combat really interesting. Imagine having to learn what all the different styles can do and what people need to do to counter it. Maybe mixing different styles, or flat out changing a style mid combat to throw people off.

2/14/2019 9:10:19 PM #2

My hope is that combat is not so slow-paced that we have the time to decide which color cue indicator to strike at a limb on.

The idea of precision control over melee attacks to the extent described here is something i also hope they do not try to reach for, or we may never see a playable game.

2/15/2019 4:44:09 PM #3

Posted By Vucar at 1:10 PM - Thu Feb 14 2019

My hope is that combat is not so slow-paced that we have the time to decide which color cue indicator to strike at a limb on.

The idea of precision control over melee attacks to the extent described here is something i also hope they do not try to reach for, or we may never see a playable game.

I don’t think the idea was so much waiting for the cue indicator to turn. It will be real time combat so you only have time to get what your opponent gives you.

Examples:

• If someone is holding a shield your indicator will show open areas: the legs where you can puncture quick, stun him, then roll and strike in the back for a more critical hit.

• If someone is coming at you with a 2h axe, they will swing and hope to decapitate you, thus if they miss their mark or the axe is parried, your weapon will either break or you can use your hidden dagger to find his arm pit when the opponent has to lift the axe.

In a sense this makes it more fast pace. The idea is to avoid a basic hack and slash combat, albeit nothing overcomplicated. You are actually reading your opponent and figuring out how to defeat him based on reacting, timing and luck. It can be over in seconds with a lesser skilled opponent, thus with a master it could be a good fight.

2/15/2019 11:37:04 PM #4

Its going to be more like mortal online than the witcher. Hold mouse to charge weapon let go to swing. Fast strikes to less dmg. Hit caps to holding swing for 2 seconds doing 100 percent dmg whole quick swings to 60 percent damage. Charging weapon and running consumes stamina so skill will be major factor and parry attacks will do 110 percent damage and swing fast while being uncharitable. Dw. Combat will be fun and balanced

The nicest pig in the world and a little cute.

2/20/2019 3:02:19 PM #5

If they use For Honor type of combat system for melee combat, I will be happy.

Life's a Struggle when you are a Muggle.

A Wild Friend Code has appeared: F16C4D

2/21/2019 8:08:29 AM #6

Posted By DeepDashing Wed Feb 20 2019

If they use For Honor type of combat system for melee combat, I will be happy.

For Honor has the best combat system I have ever experienced. Absolutely best 1v1. But I am hesitant to bring it into a MEOW(MMO). The connection workload will be huge having so many characters on screen, when we rely on a system where 0.2 sec counts so much. If things don't work out, it may lead to frustration.

At this point, I think any suggestion should at least blend well with the existing combat style framework that SBS already established.

Though we have not much info yet, I can imagine that we have move that specifically target certain body parts/ limbs within a combo. And maybe some move set will also auto-parry certain opponent blows aiming at certain limb of our own.

The time you need from changing one move to starting another, will then be affected by both your character skill and the move you are previously using. E.G. if your first move in a combo is a left to right swing aiming at opponent's shoulder, you will have 0.5 sec delay transitioning into your 2nd move of a right to left swing at opponent's shoulder.

But if you want your second move to be an uppercut from the left aiming at opponents' torso, the system will insert a 1.5 sec delay before your second move start. However, if your second move is an uppercut from the right, there will only be 1 sec delay etc.

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren

2/21/2019 11:25:43 PM #7

SMH this isnt fallout...you dont get to pause and look at allllll your options. You fight and aim for whatever opens up to you.

They have said time and time again that combat is going to be fluid and take player skill to be an effective combatant.

No one is talking about this with you because your ideas are out of line with this game.