COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
NPC Settlements?

I've searched around a little bit and wasn't able to locate anything on the subject, so I figured I would ask here.

Are there going to be NPC run settlements, or is everything player founded and run. What happens if a player who founds a hamlet then goes AFK or perma dies and their only heir is an NPC with no other players involved? Will this settlement fold, or just go idle as the NPCs go about daily life but don't advance the settlement?

2/17/2019 10:47:11 PM #1

Yes, there will be NPC settlements, and counties, possibly duchies too.

There are far too many settlements, counties and duchies for it to be completely player run :P

Eventually, they will wonder who the actual leader is and it'll evolve rather than go under. They will eventually just pick a new leader

2/17/2019 10:49:02 PM #2

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 2:47 PM - Sun Feb 17 2019

Yes, there will be NPC settlements, and counties, possibly duchies too.

There are far too many settlements, counties and duchies for it to be completely player run :P

Eventually, they will wonder who the actual leader is and it'll evolve rather than go under. They will eventually just pick a new leader

Thanks, just found the game and really like the possibilities!

2/17/2019 11:11:03 PM #3

They'll pick a new leader through whatever process that the settlement is under. It could go smoothly, it could go poorly who knows. Or another player could potentially come and take over your settlement :P

2/18/2019 12:45:50 AM #4

There will be NPC-Settlements. We just dont know how well they'll run, as we never saw viable AI in any game till now. Viable NPC AI is one of the biggest promises SbS gave us and one they never showed anything about... we'll have to wait till the game is playable to know things for sure I guess.

The plan is, that AI is just as capable of running things as players and that they even compete with players. we'll see...

Friend Code: 30EF47

2/18/2019 3:46:19 PM #5

A single NPC hamlet in the scenario you described is probably destined to die off. It depends on how the AI responds, but I think it's more likely that the remaining NPC heir leaves rather than tries to turn someone else's dream hamlet into a thriving settlement.

Another (arguably better) option available to players is to find a settlement that already exists (instead of founding one) and then working their way up to being a mayor. You can do this by making money through a profession, buying at least one parcel of land and then eventually campaigning for the job. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

Welcome to CoE. :)

2/26/2019 10:47:23 AM #6

From what I've gathered there will be plenty of NPC's running around the world that we will most likely never know were NPC's. Designed to have the same trials and dreams as an actual player they will also have the jobs and responsibilities as one as well. I personally look forward to having some sort of adventure party and finding out along the way that one of the people who im traveling with is an NPC.

Loyal Patron to the Sciences of Ashland's Duchy, Le Clair

Friend Code DD9F8A