COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
OPC death

What happens when our offline player character dies?

I imagine it's possible for a sneaky assassin to kill people if they're good enough, even within safe areas. (they could kill an OPC in the middle of night while they're sleeping alone at home). I personally wouldnt enjoy logging into an incapacitated character with my entire house ransacked.

FC: 13AB08

5/20/2019 3:21:54 PM #16

I don't think the food argument is a good one b/c iirc, they said you only had to eat a couple (2-3 full meals a irl day). So realistically if were still using the it takes an average of ~15m to go between settlements, it's entire possible to cross counties and such w/o needing to eat. Now during the 28 day siege required to take titles you'll need food but at that point just break into a house in the domain your sieging and take their food.

I don't know anymore.

5/21/2019 4:43:41 AM #17

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 08:21 AM - Mon May 20 2019

I don't think the food argument is a good one b/c iirc, they said you only had to eat a couple (2-3 full meals a irl day). So realistically if were still using the it takes an average of ~15m to go between settlements, it's entire possible to cross counties and such w/o needing to eat. Now during the 28 day siege required to take titles you'll need food but at that point just break into a house in the domain your sieging and take their food.

Not a good way to endear yourself to your future subjects, among other objections.

6/18/2019 12:33:40 PM #18

Posted By Labbe at 06:22 AM - Tue Mar 05 2019

If your offline player character dies (is Coup de Graced) they will stay "passed out" until you log back into the game.

At that point the timer for your spirit walk will start and you will spirit walk back to your body like normal as if you were online at the moment of your coup de grace.

I can imagine this like me-
logs on
is spirit walking
me- "OH SH*T"

Friend code: 26C1D7

6/19/2019 2:51:16 AM #19

In response to the OP question. There should be some measures of safety provided in towns, but no where in the game is going to come with a guarantee. When your offline an OPC will try to defend your body and property to the best of its ability, and may seek help from authorities or other sources.

In regard to the conversation about a "golden horde" scenario. Things to consider...

1) There are no guarantees that you will be able to buy army sustaining logistics with exposition points. Few of the proposed kits that we have seen so far include siege weapons, armaments, and logistical supplies. Other than the Military Kit, which is only available to Dukes/Duchesses. A la cart items will have limits. Furthermore exposition items will need to be retrieved from NPCs who have limited stocks. You may not be able to retrieve all of the things you buy right away.

2) Exposition is for getting setup. It wouldn't seem logical to allow conquest of any sort during the actual Exposition.

3) Assembling your body of hundreds of players will take time because its unlikely that you will be able to get a large number of players spawned into the same place. Which means they have to survive travelling in order to assemble. On top of this its unlikely your going to be able to claim enough combat skilled personnel within close proximity.

4) If your able to destroy a settlement, without a Casus Belli, you wont be able to take ownership of the land. This means NPCs and OPCs wont recognize you as a legitimate entity and will probably not engage you with trade or industry. That will put significant limitations on your ability to sustain yourselves.

10/9/2019 5:53:14 PM #20

Posted By Labbe at 12:22 AM - Tue Mar 05 2019

If your offline player character dies (is Coup de Graced) they will stay "passed out" until you log back into the game.

At that point the timer for your spirit walk will start and you will spirit walk back to your body like normal as if you were online at the moment of your coup de grace.

what is it that you mean by your "timer" for spirit walking?

10/9/2019 6:18:38 PM #21

There is a time limit (based on fame, age, how many prior cdg, ect) to spirit walk from the astral realm to the physical body. If you don't make it in time, then you are permanently dead.

Countess of Tarnham

County Tarnham, Rhynelands Duchy, Vornair. Luna Server (NA-E)

10/9/2019 6:22:02 PM #22

Posted By Moonlynx at 1:18 PM - Wed Oct 09 2019

There is a time limit (based on fame, age, how many prior cdg, ect) to spirit walk from the astral realm to the physical body. If you don't make it in time, then you are permanently dead. what would the distance be like?

10/9/2019 6:51:36 PM #23

Posted By FatSteve at 11:22 AM - Wed Oct 09 2019

There is a time limit (based on fame, age, how many prior cdg, ect) to spirit walk from the astral realm to the physical body. If you don't make it in time, then you are permanently dead.

what would the distance be like?

We aren't sure at this time. The main thing we know is that the older your are or the more times you die then the weaker your soul becomes giving you both less time to get back to your body, and making the tether between your soul and body more transparent.

I imagine the distance and the exact time will be something that gets worked on in testing.

10/9/2019 7:06:55 PM #24

Posted By Labbe at 1:51 PM - Wed Oct 09 2019

Posted By FatSteve at 11:22 AM - Wed Oct 09 2019

what would the distance be like?

We aren't sure at this time. The main thing we know is that the older your are or the more times you die then the weaker your soul becomes giving you both less time to get back to your body, and making the tether between your soul and body more transparent.

I imagine the distance and the exact time will be something that gets worked on in testing. I hope they don't make it too hard, it is a game after all and people don't wanna pay $20-25 if they can't get back in time.

10/9/2019 7:26:45 PM #25

All I read here is a whole lot of blah blah blah. The true PvP army is leaded by a count or a duke. They settle in a Kingdom they want to destabilize, and build up during expo like everybody else. Chances are that the duke will even reluctantly pay his/her taxes, but as little as possible.

While the Duke or Count does the political side of the action, pretending not to understand what the problem is, while his horde of merely Elyrians ravage the lands to destabilize the kingdom they may be in.

Now please continue with your dreaming and your blah blah blah. You guys think that everything can be destroyed and be build up again? But when you find your body in the spirit world when you wake up the next morning, you have no armor and no weapons on your corpse. Your land ravaged, and the attackers will give you no chance to build it up.

If you think that your king will come to rescue you, think again; Everything you had will be gone. Even when the king beats them back in their caves, your assets are still gone.

10/9/2019 10:23:06 PM #26

Posted By Vucar at 4:08 PM - Tue Mar 05 2019

Posted By Malais at 11:32 AM - Tue Mar 05 2019

And since pvp is supposed to be enabled during expo while the ep store is still open who knows how much money will be dropped at that point for last minute items.

Had not heard about this. There will be p2w riots if this is true by time we get to expo.

Expo is just story telling phase, Not pre build your start up phase.

There is no winning, As everyone who bought something is just fleshing out the world, And everyone who loses something or destroys something during expo is just creating history.

Most of the kingdoms will fall or split in the long run. they do not have enough chain of command, Just behind closed door governments.

The guilds that will come in tot he game come launch and take advantage of the chaotic history we have all made will truly claim a spot

My dream is to make my settlement long outlive me Why not join me in being part of it? Send me a message

9B7323 friend code

10/10/2019 3:20:13 AM #27

You do realize they have to move the massive siege weapons and not go unnoticed for the 2-3 hours it may take to boat, walk, wagon ride there. Moving an army across the coastline and or land will take a hell of a long time.

Think wurm, It can take up to an hour to get to some areas on a mp and they have lots of speed. No weight bogging you down, same with wagon and carts, This will take a while t move all that stuff and then have the time to raid. It wont be easy.

Then those who happen to die in the ocean are screwed as it would be perma death (unless they have that one coin)

10/10/2019 6:15:43 AM #28

I feel SBS is underestimating a lot of things constantly. Current kickstarter-event is one example. People pay absurd amounts of money to get an edge in something in the pixel world. Another example is DSS and the amount of capitals. If and when players are ignoring upkeep for example, they just buy stuff to get that capital and its bonuses. Same will happen with armies, crafting supplies and everything else.

The world has armies and everything else already before we are allowed to start altering the world. There is actually no need for creating huge armies from nothing from game's point of view. From hardcore players' point of view, there is always a need to get bigger, better, stronger... I think the story and "content" of the world should be more or less "linear" from start to end. There shouldn't be sudden spikes of population increases nor huge armies created from nothing.

Peaceful items need some sort of limits as well. Otherwise, hardcore crafters for example will go crazy in EP store and buy tons of legendary etc stuff to get an edge in their thing. Although it might not be as severe as PVP stuff since PVP stuff is used to create death and destruction which can ruin the fun from many in a large area where as having peaceful EP whales don't affect your life expentacy.

In a nutshell, EP store should have some sort of limitations other than just price to prevent people to buy endless amount of items.

Although if you just want to grief other domains, it might be cheaper and easier to buy elyrian-account and then spawn into that domain you want to grief. Then go crazy and run a around naked armed with a knife or whatever cheap thing doing as much harm as you can and then die. You can die quite a few times with your one spark of life which is cheaper than one ballista (which you can lose easily). I don't think large pvp guilds want to capture an area and then start farming. They are like locusts that continue doing the damage and look for more fights.

Backer #12. Friend code: 9B7EDE.

Kypiq mayor of Willowhaven - Crossstone - Whiteraven Rock - Tryggr

Join Whiteraven Rock Discord (https://discord.gg/ppTBAqs)

10/15/2019 11:23:18 PM #29

Posted By Malais at 1:17 PM - Tue Mar 05 2019

Posted By Ruthgar at 10:20 AM - Tue Mar 05 2019

Potentially the forces of an entire kingdom focused on a single town could wipe out that one town, but the build up to do so would take a week of time to assemble the forces from across the kingdom, and leave the rest of the kingdom undefended, so not really practical.

There are pvp focused groups with hundreds of members many of whom already have massive amounts of EP to purchase ready built siege weapons, supplies, raiding boats and all the logistics needed for them to act as an army apart. No reason to move defensive forces and use them to attack.

People need to realize while SBS is making it harder to decimate an entire town they are not making it impossible. And where I believe they underestimate the pvp population is how they will use EP and ways it can be used to support a landless army until they take over a nice spot and set up shop.

Kingdoms on the whole are very very flimsy right now. With nebulous promises and supposed pvp resumes being tossed around. Truth is a kingdom will fall very quickly from within to a dedicated multi game pvp guild. Logistics and such came be gotten around in the short term via EP. I expect the first town to be razed within the first week of pvp being enabled during expo. The first kingdom to fall the first week or two after launch.

Folks toss around size of the world and difficulty to move an army. It works against the defenders as well. A landless army with a massive amount of EP could easily focus their attacks on a specific weak point and destabilize the entire kingdom. How? Because the kingdom is focused on using their EP building up roads, shops and the like. While a dedicated gaming guild need only focus on logistics and material arms both of which are available in the cash shop and from the old EP chart certainly available for EP. and EP/cash shop items do not need to be built.

You'd also have to take into account that these armies would have to traverse the lands with enough supplies to sustain themselves while traveling to the enemy's territory. I.E. Food, water, and shelter. They won't be able to decimate entire Kingdoms. Maybe a Hamlet. But, just take into consideration that the offensive army will have to be able to sustain their massive army while storming through different biomes, alongside with attaining accurate maps of these settlements to even attain an advantage.