COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Can I steal from myself?

If i have two characters, can one of my characters steal from the other? For example one of my characters is a crafter and honest merchant. I wish to transfer some wealth to my other character who is a thief and murderer. Can my thief character break into my house and take stuff if my OPC merchant conveniently lets it happen or happens to be away?

I guess the fundamental question is, does someone have to see you commit a crime, or are you considered a criminal by simply the action of doing something bad?

On a similarly related note, how does family affect fame/infamy? I expect being married to a king raises your fame, as you would then become a queen. Would a person related to a criminal also have a bad reputation? If I share the same family or surname as a famous outlaw, do people treat me differently?

FC: 13AB08

3/8/2019 10:19:06 PM #1

We are not 100% sure what it will be like.

All we know right know is that there is supposed to be an "investigate" skill wich an investigator may use to find clues from a crimescenen and track the crimnal. The higher the skill the moe clues. And ofcourse, the better the criminal is the less clues he/she will leave behind.

3/8/2019 10:23:21 PM #2

Another way to do it would be to set your thief to buy such and such item for a really low value then hop onto your merchant character to sell the item to the thief.

67CAC0

"Different denotes neither bad nor good, but it certainly means not the same."

-Just a lowly beekeeper

3/8/2019 10:37:51 PM #3

Posted By Draguta at 4:23 PM - Fri Mar 08 2019

Another way to do it would be to set your thief to buy such and such item for a really low value then hop onto your merchant character to sell the item to the thief.

Yeah, Ive actually done this before in games. There are several ways to transfer items. Others being leaving items in a remote location to be picked up by someone, 3rd parties, etc

This might be useful, but i guess maybe it's something we'll have to see how they implement.Posted By Daarco at 4:19 PM - Fri Mar 08 2019

We are not 100% sure what it will be like.

All we know right know is that there is supposed to be an "investigate" skill wich an investigator may use to find clues from a crimescenen and track the crimnal. The higher the skill the moe clues. And ofcourse, the better the criminal is the less clues he/she will leave behind.

I hadn't heard about this. That would imply that you could potentially leave the crime unreported and it would be fine. Thanks for the info

FC: 13AB08

3/8/2019 11:28:40 PM #4

Or you could do something really crazy and totally unheard of and just give your Thief character a key to your Merchant character's house. :)

3/9/2019 2:24:34 AM #5

You all basically have the right of it, but just to say it explicitly: If a crime goes unwitnessed and unreported, you're not going to held accountable for it in terms of criminality or reputation. If a crime is witnessed, but also still unreported, you won't face any criminal penalties for it, but your reputation with whomever witnessed the crime is likely to change and that social cost can have repercussions ranging from that one character not liking you as much, up to that character deciding others need to be told how bad you are and damaging your reputation in the area.

But if a crime is reported and a contract is given to someone to investigate, they can gather evidence of your crime by examining the scene of the crime using the right abilities. If a preponderance of evidence points to you, they can use that to get a bounty token or engage in some kingdom-specific justice process to see that justice is done.

So, more to your point, as long as you don't report the crime and no one else sees it, you'd be fine. If you're worried though, let me assuage those fears: You can also set up your home so your thief alt is allowed to be there, and then no crime would be committed anyway.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
3/9/2019 4:26:32 PM #6

Won’t the OPC report crimes?

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

3/9/2019 4:27:14 PM #7

sorry, accidental double post.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

3/9/2019 5:49:23 PM #8

So, when players are creating alts, will it be totally in their control in which communities they will live in? Any player can have as many alts in same community as they wish?

3/9/2019 8:28:21 PM #9

Posted By Kurko at 5:49 PM - Sat Mar 09 2019

So, when players are creating alts, will it be totally in their control in which communities they will live in? Any player can have as many alts in same community as they wish?

If you have 3 pledge packages you subsequently have 3 accounts don't you, 1 main, 2 ALTs, at the moment you can have as many accounts as you have time to control, but there was once talk of putting a cap on that number, not heard anything recently on that though, and yes if you find an available family spot or orphanage in the same place/settlement, they can all be in the same place/settlement. Hope this helps.

3/9/2019 11:12:35 PM #10

Posted By zimmah at 08:26 AM - Sat Mar 09 2019

Won’t the OPC report crimes?

That depends on how you set up your OPC actually. But generally speaking, that would be likely. Setting up your home to be an allowed space for your alt is definitely the smoothest approach to the problem of transfering items between your characters: You don't even have to put it somewhere special that way, just leave your stuff where you normally do and go access it with either character when you need it.

• Snipehunter
3/9/2019 11:16:15 PM #11

Posted By Kurko at 09:49 AM - Sat Mar 09 2019

As CrazyWray says, assuming you can find someone to spark your soul into in the same place, there is no limit on the number of alts you can have in one settlement. In theory you could have your alts in the same family if you were careful about how you went about creating your alts. E.g. if you created your first character by picking someone that already had children, then assigned each child to one of your alts using used the lock codes granted by taking over their parent. That's a bit more challenging to do on day 1 than that makes it sound, but it is by no means impossible.

• Snipehunter
3/10/2019 5:51:39 PM #12

Posted By Snipehunter at 3/9/2019 11:16:15 PM

That's a bit more challenging to do on day 1 than that makes it sound, but it is by no means impossible.

Can you define "challenging" ? Taking the alt part out of the equation you are making it sound like it will be a lot of work for small groups of (RL) friends to play with each other on day 1 - should it be ?

3/10/2019 6:09:38 PM #13

Posted By JohnWhite at 10:51 AM - Sun Mar 10 2019

Posted By Snipehunter at 3/9/2019 11:16:15 PM

That's a bit more challenging to do on day 1 than that makes it sound, but it is by no means impossible.

Can you define "challenging" ? Taking the alt part out of the equation you are making it sound like it will be a lot of work for small groups of (RL) friends to play with each other on day 1 - should it be ?

Finding a very specific family that meets all your requirements gets harder as you add more requirements to it JohnWhite. Finding a parent with the proper number of kids to spark into in the settlement you want, as the tribe you want, with the profession you want, it really narrows down your choices immensely and will rely on a bit of luck for that family to exist at all.

Playing with a group of friends won't be hard unless you want all these parameters to exist still. Getting into the same settlement though if you don't worry about being family right away should be relatively easy, and even being in the same family right away should be doable, but the more constraints you add the less options available and the greater chance that a good fit for you doesn't exist.

3/10/2019 8:45:10 PM #14

It is exactly as Labbe was saying. Getting together in the same settlement is easier than getting all of your friends into the same family on day one, just because each new person you need space for your in your family limits the pool of possible families you can pick from. If the "Day 1" requirement isn't important though, you can also arrange for child contracts so as to grow the capability of your family; it's just that on day one new children wouldn't have had a chance to be born, let alone grow old enough for a player to spark into.

So, if you want to play with your friends without much work: Just spark into folks from the same town, meet up, and start playing. If you all want to be in a family, you either need to find a family that can already support all of your friends, or you need to figure out how to expand your family to incorporate your friends. (Marriage contacts, for example). The trick there is just to remember that contracts have to be signed in person, so if you're planning to start in different places, You'll have to meet up with your friends in the game to set those up.

• Snipehunter
3/10/2019 11:52:32 PM #15

@Snipe

That does beg the question about spawning/sparking mechanics.

Will we be able to be that...granular...with our selection of starting towns? Because that seems like it would present...problems.

Imgur