COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
So, about IP tokens?

I have seen some rumblings and comments in Discord regarding potentially having IP tokens as a way for community members to contribute upward to their nobility/leaders, increasing their overall IP, and accordingly, their DSS placement order.

Now, I understand that we don't have any details on this, and it's still up in the air, but I admit to some confusion...

Allowing people to pledge upwards to nobility, and thus provide IP to that noble based on the pledge, was suggested, and shot down, as being too vulnerable to exploitation and abuse (I would need to try and find the old conversations - not sure whether they happened in Discord or the forums).

So, that being said, my question (legitimately, no sarcasm here) is how is this system not going to face the same issues, with the added complication of additional monetization?

Thanks!

Imgur

3/15/2019 1:13:39 PM #16

@ Marovec

We'll have to agree to disagree.

You often see things in the extreme. I don't see allowing a limited IP contribution to another player (for a limited time) as turning the whole system on it's head, or fundamentally changing how IP works.

I also don't see SBS setting an "unbalancing" amount of IP per token. As an example let's say 100 per token, with a limit of ten. So an individual could at most contribute 1000 to another. Given the vast amounts of IP many Monarchs have, it really isn't that unbalancing. Additionally an individual may decide to help their duke/duchess, or count/countess instead. Or some combination of all three. And all of that is assuming that every individual can afford or wants to spend $100 on tokens.

Finally I'm pretty sure people don't need months to adjust to a token going on sale, but who knows, I may be wrong.

3/15/2019 5:09:41 PM #17

@Devil

You could be right. As I started saying, a lot of this depends on how it is inplemented.

You say I take it to extremes. I have a tendency to believe that if you wait too long to bring something up, it's too late.

They may very well have a system that makes everyone happy. However, to the best of my knowledge, they have not discussed that system at all with us, so I wanted to ensure concerns were brought up.

Imgur

3/15/2019 5:27:29 PM #18

I've been doing this anyway, sending my duke money through paypal and then he buys me EP pack gifts.

3/15/2019 6:06:57 PM #19

@Marovec

You say I take it to extremes. I have a tendency to believe that if you wait too long to bring something up, it's too late.

I said "You often see things in the extreme". This hypothetical for example. We are not talking about changing the function of the IP system. It will be used to determine the picking order during DSS as intended. We are simply talking about a temporary promotion that, if anything, will extend the means by which an individual can gain a limited amount of IP via community support.

You, however, express this as an extreme that "is fundamentally changing how IP works", and "turning the whole system on it's head."

You certainly have a penchant for words. However I find, at times, that when attempting to make a point, you can make a mountain out of a molehill.

At the end of the day, we'll both just have to wait and see what SBS decides to do. After all a village can only have one chief, and that is Caspian.

Enjoy your day :)

Devilkyn

3/16/2019 4:16:09 AM #20

Worries about IP Tokens seem much ado about nothing. With gifting (of items, EP, and gift cards) in place, there has already been plenty of opportunity to move Influence between accounts for the people that really wanted to do so.

While the concept of influence tokens would probably make the process easier, it doesn't fundamentally change much of anything.

Countess DeBrume, Brume Harrow, Blackthorn Vale, Mytharbor, Free Kingdom of Alesia (NA-E)

3/16/2019 5:25:55 AM #21

Not really a fan of this idea because it does have that sleezy feeling for me behind it.

I am a fan of it because people are sending money to people, having them buy it, and sending the items back. Mickdude covered this in his post. The token offers an avenue for people to give influence without exchanging RL funds at one point so why not do it?

3/16/2019 6:07:13 AM #22

@ Cleome and Jarri

I do agree with you both, in that sending money via paypal and receiving a gift back is possible, and most assuredly already in practice. However I doubt that it's being utilized much.

I think that the advantage with having an official promo with the IP token is that a lot more people would feel comfortable using that rather than sending RL money to an individual. It would be more accessible for people to use, and thus likely generate more crowd funding for SBS.

Also... slash wave Jarri :)

3/16/2019 8:51:15 AM #23

Posted By Marovec at 02:45 AM - Fri Mar 15 2019

Posted By Gunnlang at 11:24 AM - Thu Mar 14 2019

Sure this wasn't just random chat happening on discord? Not to be taken at all seriously. I can't see SBS bringing anything this new out, this close to DSS. Just seems really foolish.

I know we aren't really supposed to quote devs comments in discord, but this wasn't just random chatter.

It was a suggestion made by the community in response to Caspian inviting thoughts on possible March promotion items. Some folks really liked the idea, others didn't.

It's worth discussing, but until I see Caspian post it as a credible option on these forums, I'm not expecting to see it happen for the very simple reason that it would require a bunch of "can't get wrong" coding when their web team is already busy doing something that is far more important - DSS.

Link to my story

3/16/2019 11:02:17 AM #24

I am really opposed to such a thing as ip tokens for $, for several reasons but i will only develop one of them here.

March promo is the last we ll get before dss, i hope it will be full of interesting stuff to buy for everyone, the community often give feedback on its limited budget for each promo, if right before dss you bring a potential game changer like the ip token, people will be or will be forced to be conflicted in what they ll buy, and lots might miss on the actual promo objects.

We had two years to build up ip, why the rush about changing everything now, less than a month before the end?

3/16/2019 2:06:48 PM #25

Posted By Lady Grace at 04:51 AM - Sat Mar 16 2019

Posted By Marovec at 02:45 AM - Fri Mar 15 2019

Posted By Gunnlang at 11:24 AM - Thu Mar 14 2019

Sure this wasn't just random chat happening on discord? Not to be taken at all seriously. I can't see SBS bringing anything this new out, this close to DSS. Just seems really foolish.

I know we aren't really supposed to quote devs comments in discord, but this wasn't just random chatter.

It was a suggestion made by the community in response to Caspian inviting thoughts on possible March promotion items. Some folks really liked the idea, others didn't.

It's worth discussing, but until I see Caspian post it as a credible option on these forums, I'm not expecting to see it happen for the very simple reason that it would require a bunch of "can't get wrong" coding when their web team is already busy doing something that is far more important - DSS.

That's a fair point grace. This was just in reaction to his comments in Discord, so I wanted to get a consolidated location going to discuss this idea in particular.

It may very well be much ado about nothing, but at least they can't say we didn't voice our thoughts.

Imgur

3/16/2019 8:59:56 PM #26

The single biggest issue I have with the idea of Influence Tokens is that they would need to be coded and tested ... and given there has never been a way to transfer IP at all between accounts, that would be new code. That also means DSS would be further delayed. So I genuinely don't see it happening.

Link to my story

3/17/2019 12:11:58 AM #27

You may well be right Lady Grace. Too bad really, seems like a missed crowd funding opportunity to me. As some travelling minstrels once sang;

• I am an IP dealer
  • fitting you with IP in the form of tokens.
  • And don't really care which Monarch wins
  • Long as the tokens keep selling
  • That's just the business I'm in.....

• This ain't a Promo it's a goddamn IP race....

:)