COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Player testing of DSS before it goes live

I have long been a proponent of using community to test particularly noteworthy items before they go live. As we have seen with past events, such as with map voting and how players voted, to the plague event and the use of bots. Or the latest with title claiming bug that became more obvious as people got their hands on title claiming.

Internal testing I think can be fine for most things, but to get an accurate read on how a community uses it, or what bugs slip through the cracks I think it would be of great value to allow the community to test.

We have alpha 1/alpha 2 people and in general the early Access/10k people. So there are at least a pool of people who are sworn to secrecy, and a pool that has bought in to test and get access to buggy things given Alphas are usually buggy. So to me with how important DSS is, allowing those people who are yearning to test to get some time to help SBS iron out faults would be a real boon in building confidence to the studio, the players, and the outside community if we could get it into a better state before it went live to the public.

As far as what they could test, things like server load, issues with two people claiming at the same time such as what we had with the inn. How it feels for the user, how does the population actually use it vs what the devs believe is the way people will use it. An example being the devs surprise in how invested people were in staying up at all hours for the plague event, or that players banked plague, or the way people voted for other servers in map voting. Getting a real sense of how people interact with a UI feels to me like a very important thing when ironing out bugs or other issues. And of course just a larger testing pool might bring some other unknown issues to the surface that no one had realized were there.

4/9/2019 3:34:18 AM #91

agree

4/9/2019 3:34:23 AM #92

agree

4/9/2019 4:27:07 AM #93

Seems like this could be quite useful. Having a rollout without major issues is important for PR, community morale, and the success of DSS itself.

4/13/2019 3:45:41 PM #94

Any update/comment on this?

Imgur

4/13/2019 5:24:22 PM #95

It's a shame the devs seem intent on ignoring this thread. I made it a point to ask Vye if she'd seen it (she claimed she hadn't) and I linked it to her. It defies belief that a thread with almost certainly the most likes ever in these forums, especially in such a short timeframe, has gone unrecognized.

Mayor of Brighthaven, economic heart of Forgeborne County. A city is founded on its people, and Brighthaven is seeking all those who wish to succeed!

"The sinews of war are infinite money." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

4/13/2019 6:13:50 PM #96

Why is that a shame? It's just too late for her request ...

Many say you have more idea about development than the developers themselves ...

Nothing's safe until the alpha is up and running ...

4/13/2019 6:47:26 PM #97

It's a shame not that this isn't being implemented, but that it is not even being addressed. They could do the courtesy of explaining their logic behind why this wouldn't work for them. I certainly don't have a better idea of development than they do, as I am not even a developer (and this wasn't my idea, by the way), but serp encouraged this to be made a forum thread and to get a certain number of likes (30), and despite the explosive popularity of this thread, it has not been addressed.

Mayor of Brighthaven, economic heart of Forgeborne County. A city is founded on its people, and Brighthaven is seeking all those who wish to succeed!

4/13/2019 7:07:33 PM #98

They can't implement a testing phase of D&SS, they're too busy implementing a last minute change to include open timers. Smh.

4/13/2019 9:26:49 PM #99

So did this get any type of response on discord or any platform? I’ve never seen a forum post from this community all in agreement.

I know it’s needed as we all know every single other event had issues with the website, some a few issues. This is too important and more important than anyones ego.

I’d love a response from SBS.

4/13/2019 10:54:28 PM #100

The closest I've seen to a response was when Serp was asked, this past Monday, whether the thread would get a response, and he said: "Unknown, there are factors your thread doesn't address, but I can't get into that at this time."

This comes after Serp encouraged the creation of this thread, saying getting a post to "+30 likes and 15 replies could get some extra attention? Just saying. (those #s are arbitrary, btw).

Perhaps this isn't feasible, for a variety of reasons we don't have insight into, but this thread has been a shining example of community solidarity on an issue, to a very rare degree. I believe it warrants a response, even if that response is just shooting the idea down.

4/13/2019 10:55:27 PM #101

Posted By mickdude2 at 2:07 PM - Sat Apr 13 2019

They can't implement a testing phase of D&SS, they're too busy implementing a last minute change to include open timers. Smh.

Since they missed their original deadline due to a bug, it makes perfect sense to increase the complexity right? Because how else will they miss their next deadline?

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

4/13/2019 11:34:13 PM #102

Posted By zimmah at 08:55 AM - Sun Apr 14 2019

Since they missed their original deadline due to a bug, it makes perfect sense to increase the complexity right? Because how else will they miss their next deadline?

I can't help but laugh at this. Not that I find your comment or mick funny, but the point SBS does seem to like finding ways to utterly screw themselves over. There isn't a hope in hell this will go smoothly. So why not change something at the last minute and annoy the community.

It's better to expect that anything can change, at any moment, more so if SBS can milk people a bit more for it.

4/13/2019 11:51:27 PM #103

Posted By Gunnlang at 7:34 PM - Sat Apr 13 2019

I can't help but laugh at this. Not that I find your comment or mick funny, but the point SBS does seem to like finding ways to utterly screw themselves over. There isn't a hope in hell this will go smoothly. So why not change something at the last minute and annoy the community.

It's better to expect that anything can change, at any moment, more so if SBS can milk people a bit more for it.

The perception that I am seeing more and more at various levels in my community is basically:

"Why plan for anything, or believe anything SBS actually says? They change their own official announcement is less than 24 hours, and have contradicted themselves on so many occasions it's starting to look like they can't even keep track of what they are telling people. Why would I want to spend more money on, or become invested in, a company that can't seem to get it's act together for the most important event in CoE's development?"

Imgur

4/16/2019 5:30:58 AM #104

Posted By Marovec at 6:51 PM - Sat Apr 13 2019

The perception that I am seeing more and more at various levels in my community is basically:

"Why plan for anything, or believe anything SBS actually says? They change their own official announcement is less than 24 hours, and have contradicted themselves on so many occasions it's starting to look like they can't even keep track of what they are telling people. Why would I want to spend more money on, or become invested in, a company that can't seem to get it's act together for the most important event in CoE's development?"

Yeah it's honestly pretty bad.

I know they're working hard to make this game a reality, but they really need to get better at communicating with their audience, because they are constantly undermining their credibility.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

4/16/2019 7:46:25 AM #105

Posted By zimmah at 10:30 PM - Mon Apr 15 2019

Posted By Marovec at 6:51 PM - Sat Apr 13 2019

Yeah it's honestly pretty bad.

I know they're working hard to make this game a reality, but they really need to get better at communicating with their audience, because they are constantly undermining their credibility.

I find it pretty ironic that an event many of us have been begging for and a perfect opportunity to revitalize player interest and community interaction has managed to cause such a complete mess within the community.

I really hope that DSS goes smoothly and SBS can pull it off. If people feel they have lost domains due to bugs in the system I can only imagine the reactions.