COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
Conlanging and CoE.

As some of you may not know what conlanging is I will first of all explain it: Conlanging is the act of constructing a language. It is a type of world building which focus on languages

Copypasta from wikipedia: A constructed language (sometimes called a conlang) is a language whose phonology, grammar, and vocabulary, instead of having developed naturally, are consciously devised. Constructed languages may also be referred to as artificial, planned or invented languages and in some cases fictional languages. There are many possible reasons to create a constructed language, such as to ease human communication (see international auxiliary language and code); to give fiction or an associated constructed setting an added layer of realism; for experimentation in the fields of linguistics, cognitive science, and machine learning; for artistic creation; and for language games.

I personally love conlanging, I am always searching for reasons to conlang. And as you all may imagine when I discovered this game my imagination automatically ran wild. And I started working on what I consider to be my best conlang yet. It is still not finished but it should be.

More context: When I found the game and sad the idea of being a cartographer I imagined automatically myself creating maps. I love the idea of actually naming places. But then I though about the real world. Where many names come from the past, from some latin wording maybe, things of that style. Ancient languages. So my interest in cartography + my interest in conlanging + this game making my imagination go wild = What I think is a great conlang. Where am I going with this? I am not sure. But whatever. After this I started working in a conlang that I imagined would be spoken by the people of Elyria before the menn. It is a language made to sound old. I am from an indoeuropean country so that may have made me have a concrete feeling of what is old. As I said before. I think it is one of the best conlangs I have ever done. I don't know if developers actually read this reddit but I wanted first of all to thank you for creating such an idea that made me create my own thing myself. I think it shows what a great idea you had, that it evens inspired other people. But I was also wondering, is there anyway to show my language to the developers . I think it is honestly good enough to be used inside a profesional game as this one, to create more lore. It would be cool to maybe find it deep within some cave. It has it's own writting system (although I need to rework it from 0 so if anyone has any idea of neography help would be much appreciated to workout a functional alphasyllabary or a syllabary) so it can be used as a way of challenging players to actually be able to translate it. And it could even serve any person that wants to really get integrated in the lore to name it's settlement, as it would make a lot of sense to actually have some places named with what we could imagine an old language. I think the developers said at some point the languages each tribe speak existed so this could server as a pre-precendent of these. Like Indoeuropean with German and Hindi.

I will not post the language until it is finished, so expect a new post in the future from me when I am 1.totally finished and 2. Find a way of showing the language well, in an ordered way. It has a quite complex grammar (More than 10 grammatical cases for example) with a very naturalistic touch I think so it is not as easy as it may seem.

If you reached the end congrats.

If you dont want to read the whole thing: I made a whole language with what I imagine would people speak in this world a long time ago. And I will show it to the community once I have a way of actually showing it.

4/17/2019 12:47:39 PM #1

If you can speak it, then could you post something on youtube or soundcloud so we can hear what it sounds like?

4/17/2019 1:04:19 PM #2

He actually posted the phonemic inventory and some grammar in the Elyrian Linguistic Society discord (Subtle plug). If and when he posts a lexicon, there theoretically wouldn't be anything to stop you from learning it on your own.