COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
The monsters within

Is anyone else hoping they introduce some classic monsters into the mix for us to battle? Personally, I'm hoping for some ogres pillaging towns, giant spiders making a mess of the forest roads, etc... There haven't been any specific discussions that I've seen on this topic, but I hope they are planning more than some flying penguins and toothy rabbits. I want to see some truly terrifying creatures, with emphasis on challenging and interesting mechanics rather than numbers games like most MMOs.

4/17/2019 3:58:10 PM #1

Oh you mean like daemons and serpentaurs?

Also you may be underestimating the flying penguins, the toothy rabbits aren’t even monsters, they’re just common fauna.

Also note that in this game your power won’t be godlike, so even if you fight a bear, you will die. So good luck with anything even harder.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

4/17/2019 4:20:47 PM #2

Bears are cool, and I have no doubt that these animals would be difficult to some degree, but I would like to see something that would require some true strategy from a small-mid size team.

4/17/2019 4:32:44 PM #3

Posted By Keleth at 09:20 AM - Wed Apr 17 2019

Bears are cool, and I have no doubt that these animals would be difficult to some degree, but I would like to see something that would require some true strategy from a small-mid size team.

Historically, hunting bears did require true strategy from a small to mid-sized team. COE promises that bears will not be nerfed. Before the age of rifles, bears were seriously dangerous and thus rarely hunted.

In fact, there is some reason to believe that the short-faced bear was so dangerous that it kept North America from being colonized by humans until it went extinct.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

4/17/2019 6:23:25 PM #4

I've always liked monstrous insects just because bugs are so creepy in general, but in Elyria with things like a Pteroguin, we might see other strange hybrid creatures, like the spider from IT. That ... would be something :D

4/17/2019 7:04:45 PM #5

I can see both points. Bears are incredibly dangerous, especially compared to how they are portrayed in current games. However, I totally understand wanting to battle some crazy monsters, as this is a brand new world, with gods and magic. I also have to say that, as much as I love the Pteroguin, I definitely hope to fight beasts and baddies that are more than 2 or 3 existing animals slapped together, as cool as they look. Devs have mentioned various possibilities already though, on top of things players can become, like vampires and liches, and tribe descriptions mention that there are many different types of dangerous beasts, particularly in the jungles of the Janoa, where they are considered a resource.

Evil? More like Chaotic Neutral...ish

4/17/2019 7:26:54 PM #6

I want to see that but I want it to be part of a story arc in the game so it feels special or maybe something that happens in the world puts them there.

4/19/2019 1:03:33 AM #7

Might regret it later.

Still I want the long term possibility of suprise. Incredibly muscled fearsome sure to make you run, till you learn has few hit point.

Small fast aggressive ton of health. The kind of things that leave no certainty in first encounters.

No matter what the creature.

Oh p.s. I'd like the PC's (or opc's) to not be the only thing the creatures hate. If forced to run don't want three type creatures hating only me.

4/19/2019 3:15:29 PM #8

So I get the point about bears lol. I'm an avid hunter, believe me, I understand the danger they pose. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, it's unlikely that a bear is going to pillage a town or something a few ogres would do. Hoping for some "interesting" content.

4/19/2019 3:16:03 PM #9

Posted By Hieronymus at 2:23 PM - Wed Apr 17 2019

I've always liked monstrous insects just because bugs are so creepy in general, but in Elyria with things like a Pteroguin, we might see other strange hybrid creatures, like the spider from IT. That ... would be something :D

If I see this thing, I'm burning everything. Just FYI.

6/16/2019 8:12:38 AM #10

What about monsters that we create? Imagine alchemists that infuse the blood of shapeshifters and werewolves with other animals like snakes and eagles, hence creating other werebeasts, hence adding more danger to forest or road at night. Also, we may be able to discover evil beings in crypts and the like. The point of magic in COE is that it is hidden, or else difficult to use, so I think that there will be all these fantasy monsters, but we'll just have to look for them.

" you underestimate my stupidity "

-runs through minefield-

6/17/2019 6:28:50 AM #11

With the spider queen among the devs, it is hard for me to imagine an Elyria without Spider Monsters.....

Other than that, have you read about the monsters in the lore? How are they not up to your standard ?

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren