COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Being an Artist in Elyria

I am looking at playing an Artist in CoE and was wondering if there was any information around this? As a painter I assume there will be the need to mix paints, build canvases, brushes etc. Then some sort of in game painting engine like in rust (though being able to mix paints and alter consistency etc would be nice) but for things like sculpture, how will this be handled? I would assume there is not going to be a 3d modeling module, so would we just have to pick from premade assets, what are the limitations and freedoms in this system? Eg. Could I make an alter of a monstrous woman that weeps blood into a bowl that she is holding, filling it with fresh blood from the hunt as sacrifice?

Any other Artists out there that have questions or ideas on this system? What other kinds of art would you like to make?

4/18/2019 9:37:02 AM #1

I don't know for painting, but there is this interesting dev journal about architecture :

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/1203/dj-14-player-housing-architecture-construction

Barony of Kern’s gate

4/18/2019 11:49:32 AM #2

Quite a while back I had an idea which was an attempt to stay true to the 'player skill + character skill' approach to skills, in relation to art.

It was essentially like a screenshot system - you'd be able to capture an image of your own POV (or perhaps a slightly unleashed POV for the sake of more freedom of angles, etc) which would then be converted into a canvas which you had to fill in yourself. Depending on your player skill you could succeed / fail in filling in the lines, in using the appropriate colours, or just outright making poor / bad composition when taking the shot in the first place. That way, character skill could be then integrated by making the tools more difficult to use the less achieved you were as a painter.

I also like it because it would have properly integrated art into the world (i.e. you genuinely sit on a hill and paint the scenery, rather than all art having to be 'artificial' in that sense), and it sorts out the concern of griefing, as the process makes it harder to just draw a penis. That isn't to say that you could not have a freeform drawing system, but it's a possibility.