COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
The Arts

Hello(: I recently have found this game and have become very interested in the idea of creating a person involved in the arts, such as writing and playing instruments.

Does anyone know how these mechanics will work in game? Will playing an instrument be manual or automatic? And will it be possible to create and write a book in game, or would all writing done need to be posted online/elsewhere?

4/18/2019 5:21:44 PM #1

Unfortunately, we dont have a lot of details on these areas yet (very near and dear to me as well).

However, we have gotten a few comments in Discord regarding how they still view these areas as very important to the game, they just havent been a development priority at the moment.

Here's hoping to good things.

Imgur

4/18/2019 5:22:23 PM #2

Hi there and be welcomed,

Writing book will be manual and every book will be unique.

Playing instrument will not be automatic, but they didn't yet found exactly how to make it achievable even for people that know nothing how to perform with real instrument.

Art in its large definition will be a game in itslef. This video could gives you an idea.

Chronicles of Elyria wants to be a new genre. It's not a MMORPG, it's aimed to be a world simulation with massive immersion.

Oh, and I look forward to see you in the city of Mélodine. My county will be focusing on Music, arts and adventures. We are looking for talents in music ;)

Eolwyn Lunicorne

4/18/2019 6:04:12 PM #3

Well, it's nice to see another prospective bard.

Welcome to CoE. Will you write songs about all our great deeds?

4/18/2019 6:17:55 PM #4

Thank you Marovec and Eolwyn for clarifying that for me(:

And I was more-or-less leaning towards being an author since I love writing, with music being more of a pastime.

4/18/2019 9:53:36 PM #5

Will production of literature be something a scribe does in a painstaking manner, or can it be automated with something like a printing press for mass distribution?
7 FEB 18 V-SbS

Yes. Realistically, it depends on like level of technology of your kingdom and the research that the players have done. If you have a printing press, then of course you could use it to mass-produce your work. If you don't though, you're probably going to be writing out pages and sewing together into books.

12 APR 18 V-BBC

Papermaking is a necessary skill for our game. Especially with things like contracts, and cartography, even to a lesser degree things like painting or producing signs. These require paper and actually, as an aside, the To'resk make armor out of paper. So paper is a big deal in our world.
And that's actually what I'm getting at. In order to ensure that there are Papermakers, we have to make making paper attractive. But the reality is that making paper is a relatively straightforward craft in comparison to certain other crafts. So there isn't a lot in the physical act of making paper. So instead what we do in those cases is we fold into those skills other things that are related. So for example, Papermakers are also going to do things like bind books and print signs and print... I shouldn't say print, going to have to make a printing press first... but create signs, and handbills, and declarations, and contracts. And so all of those skills get put together into the role of Scribe or Scrivener. So that it's about creating written works, not just about making paper instead. So that there is a sort of multitude of things that you can do, a consolidation of the various acts that are necessary. And that's correct, so Scribes will be Papermakers.

30 OCT 18 D-CCR

Some of music we haven't gotten to yet, but broadly we have a few specific goals:
1) Allow players to "Write" their own music
2) Allow players to perform any music they create
3) Allow players to play together in concert

An open question right now is what form "write" takes. Another is whether or not you'll be able to free-play your instruments or whether you'll have to use a written piece of music and play it. I generally lean towards allowing free play, but it's a more complex featureset, so there are production considerations we have to resolve before we can really answer the question one way or another, and it's not particularly high on the list of things we're focusing on at the moment. (We're focusing primarily on story generation and combat, right this moment, for example)

4 APR 18 D-CCR

Music is based on many different instruments, and you've got a lot more freedom to create music. Think of the blacksmithing journal, and then think about how we might apply that to music.

The following are over 3 years old, so take it with a grain of salt:

What buffs will bardic music provide?
22 MAR 16 V-BW

They can actually provide a couple different ones, but the idea is that, at the very least, your ~~Vitality~~ is recovered by having a bard around. In a pub or a tavern or inn or something like that. If a bard is performing, it’ll replenish your ~~Vitality~~ faster than without it. But there’s also different morale-based bonuses, temporary increase of ~~Vitality~~, increased energy, heightened strength, heightened endurance. There’s a couple things you can do with it. We’re still working on all of the details. The bard isn’t one of the classic “classes” if I use the term class loosely. That’s not the class of features that we’ve actually been focusing on right now. It’s one of those we know we’re gonna have time to customize as we go along. ... But we should also be careful about things that can be scripted or automated. ... things like the ability to apply buffs and how much of a buff is applied can’t be on things that can be scripted and automated. ... It would be more like a test of your reflexes and less of a test of your memory or your ability to replay something you played previously. Think of it as sight-reading. If you’ve ever done a music competition. It’s based on your ability to sight-read. (obsolete, ~~Vitality~~ replaced with Fatigue according to comment in D-CCR on 1 APR 18)

Could you explain how music works in the game?
10 NOV 15 V-BW

Not too much. What I can say is that we use a system similar to LOTRO so playing musical instruments maps your keys to keys of the instrument, it basically makes your keyboard a MIDI keyboard to play the instrument. So doing that allows you to play songs, you can record sheet music and play those back. As to how that’s going to impact other people, the system that we are looking at right now is when you’re within presence of people, the song which you play things like the tempo, the modality, the timbre and other elements of the music will impact character's morale and sort of things, so if you’re around an upbeat kind of jig then maybe your character will feel inspired, so it’s a response to the type of music you play not to the specific piece that you play.