COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Shiny Day is here! A few thoughts on combat

Hail Elyrians!

I do believe it is time to S H I N E ! So, last week I mentioned that I wanted to talk a little bit about the RPG aspects of combat, and I definitely do, but spreadsheets are really only so shiny (And honestly I'd have to blur the numbers because they aren't yours to know, I'm afraid) so in the quest for something truly shiny to show, I stumbled into the animators' archives. And since I wanted to talk about combat anyway, I raided that archive like a glotato addict in the lost vault! I also came back with some goodies, but let's talk shop a little, and work them in-line.

Last time we talked about combat, I talked a little bit about how we start from some piece of information like this...

attack tree diagram

...and end up with a set of finished combat moves you can see in game.

But there's a lot going on in that process that I sort of glazed over. Candidly, building the combat system to be able to support multiple martial arts, a variety of weapons, and player-skill is a lot of work.

For example, as a designer, when I design a martial style, I have to consider the tactical elements of the style. What is it meant to do? How does it differentiate itself from other styles that use the same types of weapons? What play styles can this support? And once I have those answers and start laying out the techniques -- the moves -- you can use, I have to consider how they flow together (how they "chain"). In some cases this could include elements of forced "locomotion" or it could mean I need to track where the character's hands and feet will be at the end of one attack to make sure next the attack that is meant to flow from there begins with the character's limbs in the right place.

Once all of that is decided, things sort of split. On the design side of the equation we move onto the RPG balance, questions: How much energy does this attack consume? Which attributes and other data are used to calculate the damage for this kind of attack? What sort of damage would it do? What other effects will it have on someone who is hit by this attack? How does the damage done by this attack compare to other attacks in this style? How does it compare to equivalent attacks in other styles? We designers begin an intricate dance, spinning numbers and building mathematical models to ensure each attack is accurately represented in its effect on the game world.

At the same time, the content team begins a dance of their own:

They have to take what we've described and figure out how to make a mann actually perform these attacks, and they're further constrained by the timing and pacing required. As you watch Heat work through the attacks that are meant to flow together in that exchange, you may notice the way he seems to very quickly move between some poses but not others. This is because the test footage they shot of Heat doing the moves has been edited to fit the tempo and rhythm of the game.

There's a sort of "music" to combat, in the sense that you can use something akin to musical notation to plot out the pacing of combat in just about any game. There's a tempo (it might differ from style to style, but there is one whether it was intended or not) and attacks hit on the beat, and the intervals between those beats are kind of like the notes of a musical composition. So, it shouldn't surprise you to know that Chronicles of Elyria is no exception to this observation. There is a tempo to the martial styles, and a sort of rhythm that is defined by the timing of when attacks land.

(By the time we get to the rough animation stage that rhythm is a lot more natural)

That video of Heat from earlier is the real world attack motion, edited down to fit the phases of an attack combo and the tempo of the martial style in question.

That ends up feeling a lot better once the actual animations are done. Even in the two rough block-out videos I've shared here you can already see that it's not as jerky as the edited real-world video, but the timing and tempo is preserved.

When it's all said and done, our two dances collide and the animation is attached to the design data and we can head into the lab to get a feel for how the attacks land and where we should force locomotion and where we shouldn't, as I mentioned in a shiny a couple of weeks back.

It's an intensive process, but it's necessary. Combat may not be the focus of Chronicles of Elyria, but that doesn't mean we can afford to low-ball our effort. We may be a rare online game that takes combat off the throne, but it's still an equal partner with every other major mechanical focus of the game.

Stay Shiny, friends!

• Snipehunter
4/19/2019 2:19:45 AM #16

I can empathize with the guys who are offering their opinions on these videos. They are speaking from a perspective of what they currently know. Games like Mortal Online, Lif and even a recent one Atlas (Or maybe I should just say Ark as the combat is a complete carbon copy) that really have no combat combinations; everything is player controlled and you react based on timing and skill, The parry is something you must master in sandbox MMO's like the ones I just mentioned.

Albeit I think what they are missing in this particular sword play is the building of momentum. You see the thrust and then you see the hack and spin where the fencer is getting aggressive, yet staying agile. I personally like it and I commend Heat for his footwork. It is not your traditional western fencing, but it has some martial arts to it. I look forward to seeing more combat.

4/19/2019 2:19:57 AM #17

I have a question. As an advocate for ambidextrous combat, I was wondering if there will be an option for left-handed fighting and not just right-handed fighting?

4/19/2019 2:28:49 AM #18

Posted By Barlin at 10:03 PM - Thu Apr 18 2019

worked on weapons and animations before, and one of the most important parts when doing art for games was research at the beginning. don t see it here

But this is a game and games are the medium where you are allowed to put down the history books and enjoy the fact this is not earth. If it was named something likeUltra Fuedal Sim 2020 you would have that argument but I'm not sure that really applies here. On top of the fact that each tribe is going to have it's own stances based off it's inherent physical differences. I'm sure the kypiq fighting style that is designed around their small height and size will look not look like your history books of medieval knights. I'm not saying dont use a reference, every artist has a reference but the reference is the basis not the finished rule in many games. It's the very basic guideline that once done you are free to explore and experiment.

Lessening the restrictions of what knights did hundreds and hundreds of years ago also allows them to make more "juicy" animations and combat that appeals to a larger audience compared to the audience size of people looking for fine historical detail.

It's the same thing movies do. The masses think a war scene for example is amazing and love them but then the minority who have the experience to see through it are like "wait a minute....that's not right.."

I don't know anymore.

4/19/2019 2:40:50 AM #19

For everyone crying about how "unrealistic" this style looked, I just have to say this: If I wanted realism in my combat, I'd go take martial arts classes. Movies and video games are intentionally designed to look and FEEL cool, not to be realistic. It is stupid to expect otherwise, and would be incredibly DULL if it wasn't designed with that very thing in mind.

4/19/2019 2:54:54 AM #20

very promising

4/19/2019 2:57:02 AM #21

Posted By MilevanFaent at 12:40 PM - Fri Apr 19 2019

For everyone crying about how "unrealistic" this style looked, I just have to say this: If I wanted realism in my combat, I'd go take martial arts classes. Movies and video games are intentionally designed to look and FEEL cool, not to be realistic. It is stupid to expect otherwise, and would be incredibly DULL if it wasn't designed with that very thing in mind.

The thing is that there's nothing uncool about motions which make sense for a person who's seriously trying to stay alive in a fight. The issue I find with the animations in their current style is that they actually break with the dramatic realism pillar for me - if an Elyrian exists in a much broader context than just an automaton to fight, throwing their shield back and inviting death doesn't seem like it's in keeping with their real nature as living, breathing people.

When we think of stuff like a warrior with a round shield rushing forward and fighting (with the shield kept forward and without 180 degree spins, etc), or a bunch of legionaries smashing an enemy formation, we'd hardly call that boring. I think it's very slight tweaks to the visuals that would reconcile the issue (to me) - there's nothing in the suggestion of realism that would even disrupt the mechanical structure of the combat system as it's presented here, which I think is perfectly good and fun-looking.

The primary concern I have is that I feel if it's thoroughly considered by the studio early on it may make everyone happy, but that it may have been an intuitive or foregone conclusion to use said 'cool' movements when they may not be necessary from a design perspective (both in context of combat mechanics itself, and the overall thematic design of the game).

4/19/2019 3:01:59 AM #22

Excellent early dancing days! And Heat: whaddup!?!

Imgur

4/19/2019 3:13:25 AM #23

I like as much realism in combat as possible but I am not too worried about it. I play D&D we roll a d20 to hit things. It still feels real sometimes.

When I was a young martial artist I was taught to to do jumping spinning kicks and such. I remember someone pulling a knife on me and I threw some beautiful kicks inches from their face. It was enough to get them to rethink but I changed styles. So yeah people fight all sorts of ways in the real world and over time if they live they learn better ways.

Watch kids play fight. Now imagine that kids heading off to war without better training. I don't mind people fighting poorly but I will notice if fighting poorly works better than fighting well. Not sure I care a lot since it's not primarily a combat simulation game for me but a role play.

Bottom line regardless of the graphics, etc. some people will figure out what works best and use it. If it doesn't look or act like Earth oh well. If it does cool.

4/19/2019 3:27:47 AM #24

@barlin this is probably an unarmored or lightly armored fighting style? Heat isn't wearing any armor, either, so no sense extrapolating as far as you have to plate armor. I really can't see someone in a full suit doing spin moves. :D

Some martial arts definitely incorporate spins though. Debatable as to their efficacy, because if you've ever seen sparring contests, the spin attack is easily countered by a prepared opponent and these guys wind up on their backsides more often than landing a knockout blow to the head.

Still in a game, the designers can obviously take liberties, like adjusting damage multipliers significantly to make you weigh the trade offs in using it. More damage with a spin but more risk of getting stabbed. An unarmored warrior may need that additional power and damage when facing an armored opponent, who ostensibly would also be slower to react in response.

Regardless, taking your eyes off your enemy is a bad idea, and that's something you'd want to minimize in a fight, spin or no spin.

p.s. I also think it's worth noting that for any sort of fighting as entertainment, there's really no substitute for things like spin moves. They are flashy and thus highly entertaining. I really hope to see these sorts of events take place in the game. I'm certainly going to encourage it. So it makes sense to have such techniques even if they may not be appropriate on the battlefield.

4/19/2019 3:33:04 AM #25

Thinking more deeply I realize how few experts there are on melee combat in the modern world. Sure people do martial arts or read about it but how many people have been in even a dozen life and death melee fights. How many videos of such fights can we watch. Animals perhaps but they don't use weapons and they are not trained fighters. We can sort of dance around the topic but hardly anyone really knows.

What we want from a game is some feeling. For different people it will take different thing to get that feeling.

When I was a teenager I would take swords to school and ask people to try and hit me. Sometimes I would stay unarmed. Most people swing a sword like a baseball bat. One kid did full contact kickboxing. His sword technique was not great but his aggression and commitment made up for it. People fight all sorts of ways.

4/19/2019 3:44:08 AM #26

Posted By Watru at 6:29 PM - Thu Apr 18 2019

Are there iframes when you e.g: dash? Do some styles have more iframes then other (if any)? I dont think movement lock and root motion is the way to go for a MMO in 2019 to be honest.

13 JUL 18 D-CCR
Are there going to be iFrames? (please say no)

Oh you mean like in a fighting game? No.

4/19/2019 3:48:45 AM #27

Posted By Silian at 7:19 PM - Thu Apr 18 2019

I have a question. As an advocate for ambidextrous combat, I was wondering if there will be an option for left-handed fighting and not just right-handed fighting?

16 FEB 18 D-CCR
can my character be left-handed?

We don't have a system for setting handedness, but part of the reason we don't is because you decide which hands hold what, not us. We don't penalize your using your offhand or main hand in any cases that I'm presently aware of, either. So while it might not be "officially left handed" you would be functionally left handed just by used the left hand button as your main "doing stuff hand" no?

4/19/2019 3:59:20 AM #28

Ah yes, the dance of our people.

Friend Code - 93294C

4/19/2019 4:09:21 AM #29

thats now how u fight.. i just wanna stab from a safe distance with my spear

4/19/2019 5:22:01 AM #30

Posted By Watru at 6:29 PM - Thu Apr 18 2019

Q: And what about parrys and riposets how will that work when characters will be jumping back and forth. When you commit to a attack will you be unable to cancel?

That combo is a chain of 3 attacks that are ~1sec a piece. At the contact point of each attack if you don't click, the combo cancels and it will quickly do a transition back to combat idle/locomotion, depending on the input or lack there of.

If you successfully hit the button within the input window, were not blocked, parried and they didn't dodge, it will transition to the next attack in the chain.

Within the attack window, your opponent has the opportunity to block or if they time it right, parry and if successful a small opening is created for him to riposte. Those are concepts we have always included in each iteration of combat, they are important to us and I don't see them going away, not without a damn good reason. I think a brawl might actually break out if someone tried... lol.

Just to be clear, the 2 sec of settle in at the end, only happens if you do not do anything at all. You click a button and you step back. If you press attack or movement after the contact point, it will cancel out of the settle in. It's only there so the player doesn't do a hard snap back to combat idle, and to make you look cool if you just laid waste to someone who went flying back on their ass. That gives you small break to stand there and bask in your awesomeness, if you want to, we don't force it.

Let me back up a second because I might have glossed over some key points.

Right now an attack has 3 phases:

• Anticipation (~250ms), this is the wind up phase, this is the time you have to preview the attack and react. 200-250ms is roughly the time your average gamer is given to react to most attacks of a similar nature.

• Attack(~250ms), this is the active point of the attack, it contains a critical contact point that either resets the combo tree or carries on.

• Cushioning (~250ms), this is used to blend with the Anticipation of the next attack or to start blending back to combat idle/locomotion.

Keep in mind that these are just some rough numbers that we're currently using. We've dialed it up and down and I'm sure it will change and evolve as we get closer to putting it in your hands. But this should help give you a rough idea.

When, you see a series of attacks like this, they are broken up into quarters and eighths and depending on the attack, the weapon and style, you are given more or less time to react. You won't ever hit one button sit back for 5sec and wait for control again. Likewise we don't want this to be rockem sockem robots where people just furiously spam a button until someones head pops off.

We want openings, we want risks and rewards. We want attacks to be impactful. We want them to carry some Elyrian history so players seek them out like treasure, learn them and use them with pride. We want combat to be engaging, fun and satisfying.

Right now when I play, it still feels a little rough around the edges, that's to be expected at this stage, but even now it doesn't ever feel like you lose control. You do commit to an attack and that does leave you vulnerable which is part of the calculation that make when you build your combos and when you choose to attack. I do get punished for making bone headed moves at inopportune times, which I'm ok with. A game that doesn't punish players for positioning and incorrect timing isn't much of a game at all. Right now I'm actively reading my opponent, positioning myself, reacting and attacking. Even though it's not 100% tuned in with final anims, it feels good.

Some of the bigger weapons might have a different cadence and that cadence might leave you a little more exposed but if they connect, it could be a huge pay off. It's part of the risk and reward calculation that you'll have to do when you build your combos, train up your character, pick your weapons and head out to do some damage.

If none of this makes sense, I completely understand, I'm a visual guy and text isn't the best format to be having a discussion about timing and combat. Most of the time words escape us and we're chasing each other around the office with swords. Anyway, hopefully we'll be able to show some more examples in the near future...

I guess it will ultimately make the most sense when it's ready to leave the lab, enter Elyria and you can get your hands on it.

Until then we'll try our best to listen to all of the advice, hound all of the experts and iterate on the game so it will be as fun as it can possibly be. I know we will release a game that we know is fun, that we enjoy playing and that we have always wanted. If for some reason our version of fun doesn't match up, we sadly understand. If there is something we can do to make it fun and if that manages to fit within our scope and design goals we might incorporate it. That is one of the great things about this game being developed the way it is, our community is a member of the team. But if we can't fit it in or if it conflicts with a core principle, we hope you find something else that you do like playing.

I know most of us at SBS set out on this quest because we weren't happy with the games that are out there and we wanted to make some fundamental changes that would make things fun and engaging.

If you set out on the same quest, hit us up, we have a lot of love to share for a fellow traveler.