COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
World Evolution

First of all, I would like to say this whole idea is BRILLIANT! I wish all the best to the creators and I hope they will be able to make it as well as write and talk about it.

I have a few questions relating the far, far future of the game. I accept that possibly my questions won't be answered due to early stage of the game but would love to hear some ideas about it.

1. If there are limited resources like for example 'trees'. What will happen when they gradually get destroyed? Because, regardless of how many there are, eventually they WILL be gone. I understand that materials can be recycled and used again but you cannot recycle table back into a tree. Once cut, it will always remain as wood (if I understood it correct).

A) Would climate start to change for the area, affecting people around it? (obviously not those who already live in the desert) but those who are used to clear oxygen around. 'Are there different oxygen levels?' If I am not mistaken, I remember hearing about 'latitude'.

B) Would lack of trees start to become a living problem for native races like 'Kypiq' because they don't have trees to build on? Could you cut all trees that Kypiq eventually is unable to build tree houses and go instinct?

1. This world is sort of set in the Middle Ages. (Blacksmith, Horses, Swords etc) As far as I can see, you are able to create your own combinations to produce something new. When you advance knowledge, gain skill, gather necessary resources etc. How far can you go?

A) Could the world eventually discover and make new technologies? Like for example 'Electricity' with the use of 'Waterfall' or 'Windmill'? Or perhaps forging a 'Shotgun' with help of alchemy to create gun powder. Or perhaps even someone discovering oil in the ground and we end up with a 'Car' or if no oil perhaps 'Steam Train'.

Basically my whole question is; With enough time, could a world of Elyria leave the 5th century and reach for example late 18th century when electricity was discovered and go beyond that? Where everyone gets together builds a space ship and leaves to another server, haha - just joking.

PS. Last time I played games was 15 years ago (Ultima Online). Now I got a bit more free time and decided to find some game to start. After 3 weeks of researching what I missed in the past decade, I found this game. The funny thing is, I don't have a computer to play the games on, I just have old Macbook. So, I am actually buying a PC, Monitor and everything ONLY because of this game. CoE don't make me regret it :D

Thanks

[sigpic]https://i.imgur.com/9pZlihN.jpg[/sigpic]

4/19/2019 8:44:30 PM #1
  1. If there are limited resources like for example 'trees'. What will happen when they gradually get destroyed? Because, regardless of how many there are, eventually they WILL be gone. I understand that materials can be recycled and used again but you cannot recycle table back into a tree. Once cut, it will always remain as wood (if I understood it correct).

Seeds.

A) Would climate start to change for the area, affecting people around it? (obviously not those who already live in the desert) but those who are used to clear oxygen around. 'Are there different oxygen levels?' If I am not mistaken, I remember hearing about 'latitude'.

I dont recall much of this, weather changes will be in game, but I'm unsure of oxygen levels and all that jazz.

B) Would lack of trees start to become a living problem for native races like 'Kypiq' because they don't have trees to build on? Could you cut all trees that Kypiq eventually is unable to build tree houses and go instinct? You can't cut down ironwood trees, so that wouldn't really happen or work. And you should be replanting as you take down, if you're not you'll be in for some hurt from the domain leaders.

1. This world is sort of set in the Middle Ages. (Blacksmith, Horses, Swords etc) As far as I can see, you are able to create your own combinations to produce something new. When you advance knowledge, gain skill, gather necessary resources etc. How far can you go? Up to Legendary
  • Novice & Apprentice can create subpar items.
  • Journeyman & Expert can create 'common' items
  • Artisan can create 'Uncommon'
  • Master can create 'Rare'
  • Grandmaster can create 'Treasured'
  • Legendary can create 'Legendary'

But also keep in mind that the time and effort to reach higher levels gets progressively harder. We expect maybe 50% of all crafters in a skill to reach Expert level, but only about 20% to reach Master.

A) Could the world eventually discover and make new technologies? Like for example 'Electricity' with the use of 'Waterfall' or 'Windmill'? Or perhaps forging a 'Shotgun' with help of alchemy to create gun powder. Or perhaps even someone discovering oil in the ground and we end up with a 'Car' or if no oil perhaps 'Steam Train'. It could, however in the 10 year story Caspian has stated that he doesn't really plan for the research system to go that far. Maybe as far as steam power, but it'll take us years to get there.

Basically my whole question is; With enough time, could a world of Elyria leave the 5th century and reach for example late 18th century when electricity was discovered and go beyond that? Where everyone gets together builds a space ship and leaves to another server, haha - just joking. Doubtful, steam power is the furthest projected as far as we know right now.

Welcome to the CoE community~!

4/19/2019 9:06:56 PM #2

Some places will end up completely devoid of trees, if the player base isn't careful enough to manage all of the forests correctly.

Great Britain used to be nothing but forested land below Scotland. Now it is... not. And not just because we built houses there - there are massive patches of countryside that were, centuries ago, overgrown forests, but now they're useless meadows doing nothing.

Also, just so you know, Elyria seems to be somewhere around the 12th century, technologically, not the 5th. We're also fully expecting to reach the Age of Sail within the ten-year storyline, and we may wind up with gunpowder and steam engines at some point. Electricity is not completely out of the question, although it may take longer than the ten-year storyline to invent.

Inventing new technologies is an established featured talk about at some length by the developers. We may wind up following Earth technological history or we might not - it depends on what problems players try to solve and what skills they try to solve them with.

4/19/2019 10:30:18 PM #3

They mentioned oxygen levels in regard to climbing mountains on one of their youtube videos. I don't believe they gave a definitive answer on whether or not it would be implemented.

4/19/2019 10:54:07 PM #4

Thank you very much. Loads of new information I have not yet realised. It is even better than I thought. It is too early to tell, I don't even have a PC yet. But something tells me this game could potentially become something more than just a game.

[sigpic]https://i.imgur.com/9pZlihN.jpg[/sigpic]

4/19/2019 11:12:58 PM #5

There will be some design constraints as calculating the gas concentrations of individual areas is going to be ridiculously resource intensive with little benefit, CoE doesn't have the same gameplay focus as "Oxygen not included" after all.

That doesn't mean there are ways to simulate it however, but expect modifiers to be based more on simpler checks like "meters above the sea" or "underground depth". These kind of checks should still be sufficient for typical underground dilemmas, like the need for carbon dioxide wells, ventilation shafts, and air pumps among other.

As for climate change and pollution, the game is predicted to barely reach steam technology throughout its 10 year story if the community really pushes tech that way. Thus it probably won't need to simulate such things. And if it does, it's perhaps something they can expand on later. Desertification from lack of vegetation in an area would be a more pressing issue, but I'm not sure if they want to go that deep with the ecological simulation.

4/20/2019 5:45:37 AM #6

It’s funny how you mention trees as non-renewable resource. They’re actually one of the renewable resources. Trees are living things, and they can be grown. Yes it takes time, but time is sped up in this game, so while in real life it will take years to grow a tree, in game it will take only several weeks.

Minerals, ores, stone, etc. those will run out eventually, although you can always melt the iron into new things.

The Kypiq trees are special, they take forever to grow (thousands of in game years, which is more than 20 real life years) but they also can’t be destroyed.

And yes, we will invent new things, in fact, players can influence the direction the technology will go.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

4/20/2019 6:15:00 PM #7

I'm going to take a guess and say that climate modeling will be completely out of the scope of this game. I just don't believe that the studio will invest in that level of simulation because it doesn't rank very high on the cost-benefit scale.

So complete deforestation could happen but I don't expect it to kill off the planet.

4/20/2019 9:53:26 PM #8

I think the closest we're likely to get to climate modelling is the studio taking a look at each server now and then to see if, say, some madman demolished an entire mountain or chopped down an entire forest or something, and then changing biomes a bit in response.

An automatic system is honestly not that feasible.

4/20/2019 10:44:26 PM #9

Or alternatively, unleashing some server wide event in response to those kinds of extreme player activities.