COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Limits of Technology

Hey,

Does anyone perhaps know what the limits on Technology will be? Like will there be cars after 5 years of research, or perhaps NPC/Golem-Robots. Like how many possibilities will there be regarding research and creating new things. Could the whole world of Elyria be looking like some sort of "steam-punk World" some day or will "renaissance technology" the limit? How about war-machinery like tanks?

If you got any information regarding this topic, feel free to share it with me/us :)

4/20/2019 1:25:57 AM #1

Probably not cars, probably not golems or robots, maybe steam power toward 10 years, maybe gunpowder and firearms around 5 years.

4/20/2019 1:32:31 AM #2

According to what we know so far the game will begin sometime in the equivalent of the early Iron Age, at least if my memory serves.

There is a ten irl year story line which the Devs have planned out and every week in real life is one year in Elyria. That's 52 weeks a year, that's ten years, that's 520 years in Elyria time. If tech progressed at the same rate in Elyria as it did on Earth then we would be in the very early Middle Ages at the end of ten irl years.

However, the Devs have stated that it is possible we can push the technology as far as right before the beginning of the Industrial Revolution by the end of the ten year story.

Now, just because the ten year story ends doesn't mean that Elyria does, so what happens after that is anyone's guess. However, bottom line is that technological progression or the lack thereof will depend on player action and player initiative. The prediction of the Devs that we will be approaching the Industrial Revolution I would consider to be an upper limit of potential not a guarantee.

4/20/2019 5:51:43 AM #3

Mostly medieval/renaissance/early industrial and steampunk with a splash of magic.

Players will have some influence in it, but the devs have a final say in it. It has to keep the game fun, some tech would break the game in one way or any other.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

4/20/2019 8:36:10 AM #4

the info that i got was that tech will lead up to steam engines and early firearms

4/20/2019 12:43:10 PM #5

Posted By Athorias at 03:36 AM - Sat Apr 20 2019

the info that i got was that tech will lead up to steam engines and early firearms

Towards the end of the 10 year irl timeline yes. Assuming people push research that way. Don't expect to see anything like a firearm for years after launch.

4/20/2019 1:05:24 PM #6

Posted By Kaynadin at 08:43 AM - Sat Apr 20 2019

Towards the end of the 10 year irl timeline yes. Assuming people push research that way. Don't expect to see anything like a firearm for years after launch.

If its possible to push technology towards firearms I guarentee players will make a huge effort to so.

The advantages in warfare are just too great, same with cannons and other such weapons.

It's possible if one kingdom could get them first and unilaterally they would rule the world.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

4/23/2019 6:04:24 AM #7

I know technology is server based, so I personally hope one of them will try to do something different then the same old regular Earth progression of technology. I will certainly be pushing for that so I hope others will too!

There are quite a few alternate history ideas out there so I wouldn't assume things like Steam or Clock power becoming a focus would be completely forgotten. Maybe someone will even bring magic back on a grand scale!

4/23/2019 8:07:17 AM #8

Resources are finite on top of everything. If trade won't help you get the resources you need for research, some stuff might not be researched until further progression or availability of resources occurs.

Good luck ;)

4/23/2019 6:34:21 PM #9

I wouldn't mind crude gun powder explosives, and steam powered would be fun. To me anything that goes over one shot flint lock guns, or maybe canons, would be too much for this world in my opinion. Of course 5 years after game launch we could all be looking for something more to the game then just swords and arrows, and guns would add a new aspect to the game.

I would only suggest that if they do plan to add guns and more modern tech to the game that they should start up more servers that start back at the beginning and work their way back up to that point. That way the option to play the game without guns would still be there.

I have a Rocket Launcher. Your Argument is Invalid.

4/30/2019 4:22:06 PM #10

There's also some artwork like this that may foreshadow some weirder / fantasy-like technologies: http://media.chroniclesofelyria.com/concepts/da09416d5df5476a8961e09947e81e4f.jpg http://media.chroniclesofelyria.com/concepts/f1afeec35ce24edf887f795703f7f1f3.jpg

4/30/2019 4:31:30 PM #11

SBS has previously mentioned that they will use where player effort as a guide-post for what the community is interested in.

Presumably then, if there is a huge effort towards people attempting to combine alchemy and ranged weapons that they can see on the back end they may push development that way a little faster.

Ultimately, however, I expect that given that there is a planned story there will some hard limitations on when those get introduced, just because it could derail the story if they went early. The flock of deadly Pteroguins is way less scary if everyone has a rifle :) ,

Friend Code: 1C7762

4/30/2019 6:50:47 PM #12

personally i hope we never see gunpowder explosives or firearms in this game, even after years of research. that just wouldnt be as fun

Everyone wants to be a beast, until it's time to do what beasts do.

5/3/2019 8:48:40 AM #13

Those art examples are incredibly close to Da Vinci's designs, because of that as well as The Arkyn, I have no doubt in my mind that alternate history timelines are possible in Elyrian's future. In my mind, I really think it will depend on how tech is driven by the players so I imagine they have at least a few diverging timelines in the works, as well as a standard boring Earth box one.

5/3/2019 10:41:37 AM #14

Posted By Kyleran at 3:05 PM - Sat Apr 20 2019

Posted By Kaynadin at 08:43 AM - Sat Apr 20 2019

If its possible to push technology towards firearms I guarentee players will make a huge effort to so.

The advantages in warfare are just too great, same with cannons and other such weapons.

It's possible if one kingdom could get them first and unilaterally they would rule the world.

I dont think that you'd easily rule the world with early firearms. Sure, firearms hit hard, have better range and all that... but the frequency to shoot is very slow compared to other ranged weapons. and the accuracy isnt really that good for the first ones. then, you'll always carry explosives around with you and if someone is able to set fire to your powder, you'll be lost. Plus, rainy weather is a lot worse for your black-powder-army than for the enemies with bows, slingshots and such. And even with better weapons, you can still get into ambushes or traps. Its a bonus, sure. But not directly guaranteed instant win. And its hard to keep the technology for yourself, and harder the more you use it.

Friend Code: 30EF47