COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Healing

Hello everyone,

I head Tacaigh Leigheas Cosain: Medical Guild also known as T.L.C. for simplicity.

As I am going through the myriad of posts within the forum I am finding bits and pieces of knowledge on how healing may work, whether as a comment on a post on wounds, or perhaps on poisons as there was a great post there, I am struggling to compile the data.

This, of course leads to my request, I would like assistance from everyone in collecting information on healing, what goes into it, how it may be done, and other related topics for everyone to use not just me or my guild as we are not the only ones that will need it and we certainly cannot serve everyone, much as we may like to. And so I ask for this assistance as a way to help those I cannot, even if in a small way.

4/20/2019 5:55:59 AM #1

It’s like being a medical “doctor” or whatever they were called back then.

Using herbs, leeches and many questionable techniques.

Magical healing is rumored to exist, but of course rare (if it even exists) and probably nothing like other MMOs.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

4/20/2019 6:38:35 AM #2

11 APR 19 D-CCR

resting can slowly heal wounds which will help with regaining vitality, but yes first aid and medicine are the primary means of vitality recovery

29 DEC 18 D-CCR

vitality is a measure of consciousness. Its constantly decreasing after you wake up until you fall asleep again. Some things such as eating and drinking replenish your vitality, while other things decrease it or cause it to decrease faster.

25 JUL 18 V-SbS

When a new disease shows up, somebody who understands first-aid, somebody who has a decent Medicine skill, or somebody who has a Pharmacology skill can start to research that cure. Once the cure is discovered, they get a recipe. And that recipe can be used by anybody with the sufficient skill levels and techniques to create it.

Will we ever see some form of healing in combat scenarios [like running away and quickly patching up with a Cardinal imbued bandage] that would provide an immediate heal or bonus layer (artificial HP) on stamina? Or do all forms of stamina healing, even ones that might be used to heal an injured fighter, take time to recover your stamina (health)?
5 JUL 18 D-CCR

Seriously though, the short answer is "yes", but the long answer is "no - everything you do to heal is going to take some amount of time. There is however a first-aid skill that is explicitly about things like splinting bones and mending wounds quickly to get folks back in the fight. It works alongside alchemy to make it possible for someone to get up and fighting quickly, but there's often a longer term cost associated with it, such as a loss of your total lifespan, or something similar."

14 MAY 18 D-CCR

If you incap from starvation, it'll likely take a bit of body weight with it when you recover. So in theory, one could survive with a bit of extra body fat through kitosis. #NotImplementedYet So it's subject to change.

14 MAY 18 D-CCR

Cardinal Bee Honey is a healing salve.

Is there going to be some sort of a muscle system (or is it too much for server to keep track of) that can be injured and may have to heal overtime? Such as cutting hamstring or bruises/sores from falling off a horse?
26 APR 18 D-CCR

you can be "bruised" or even "hamstrung" but it's not like we literally simulate your hamstring being damaged. It's more like a condition that is applied until it can be healed or turns into something else because you didn't deal with it.

Is there any information you give us on the medical field in CoE? Is it going to be a complex system where you must do R&D to find cures for particular ailments?
19 APR 18 D-CCR

I don't have a lot to say yet but a piece of the medic game is absolutely diagnosis.

Does physicality affect ability to heal? AKA does being unfit generally lead to longer healing and other issues?
16 APR 18 D-CCR

Not generally as a rule, but certain afflictions are impacted by body dynamics.

15 APR 18 D-CCR

Right now it takes about 7 minutes every 2.8 hours or so to fully recover. You can spread that beyond 2.8 hours by doing things that restore some amount of fatigue, but inevitably your character will need to sleep.

So no health potions, like in typical MMOs?
15 APR 18 D-CCR

Yes and no. CoE doesn't have "Health." We have fatigue. The more of it you have, the closer to becoming unconscious you are. There's tonics, etc. that can restore some degree of restedness for a period of time, but such things must always be paid for later.

Are there going to be potions that we can make that replenish energy/stamina, or raise energy/stamina recovery rates?
12 APR 18 V-BBC

The answer is absolutely yes. So there are two aspects to maintaining your energy level. Part of that is eating regularly so that you're not starving; drinking so you're not sick or thirsty, you're not dehydrated. But then the other half of that is things like using potions or particularly well-made foods that provide effects that can do things like temporarily provide an extra boost of energy. Energy is sort of our like fast-action fuel. So certain combat moves might require that it takes energy from you and you can only perform so many combat attacks before you run out of energy and you have to sort of get your breath back. But if you were to drug yourself up with some of these potions from an Alchemist, you might be able to exceed your normal limits at cost, that's absolutely part of the game.

so does that mean that if the one trying to heal them either has to know exactly what poison was used because they know it themselves or they have the poison from the source of the attack? cause if you make a mistake with some poisons IRL and try and treat for something its not then that can make it worse and even unable to treat.
20 DEC 17 W-SbS

It definitely can mean that. It depends on the toxin, poison, or venom. You could also, for example, find such things that can't be cured at all, but are survivable if you can endure them running their course. Or potentially come across others that are incapacitating quickly, unless you can manage to expend no energy before being treated. That sort of thing.

I guess when your character is starving the Regen value of Vitality will decrease?
13 DEC 17 D-CCR

Yes. Any survival mechanics will cause the regen rate of Vitality to decrease by a larger amount. Note, Vitality and Energy are the visible fields that change. They are both a function of Stamina and Focus. Stamina and Focus are attributes, Vitality and energy are derived attributes. As you go throughout the day, your Vitality naturally decreases as you get closer to becoming unconscious. Energy remains full. When you exert yourself, energy drops very quickly, and then recovers quickly, while Vitality goes down a bit quicker when your energy is below 100%. Also note that survival mechanics like hunger, thirst, temperature, etc. cause additional strain on your body and cause your Vitality to go down quicker. Eating, resting, etc. causes your Vitality to go back up a bit.

4 NOV 17 D-SC

More specifically, you have Vitality. As you go about playing, your Vitality drops. More quickly for vigorous activity. You can periodically stop to rest and do things like scribe, eat, play music, etc. to recover some of the Vitality, however it won't recover all of it.

29 MAR 17 V-SbS

If you're wandering around the settlement your Vitality, your hunger, your thirst, those are typically not going to change much, or might drop a little bit; but aren't ever going to reach zero. If you make your way over to one of the common rooms or something like a tavern, then your Vitality, your hunger, and your thirst will start to go up automatically just by being inside of that facility. If you then proactively eat or drink while you're there, it's going to go up quite a bit faster. As well as potentially provide you the rested bonus. And if you are inside of a tavern or a common house where there actually is a performer, or if you are doing things like playing dice or cards, then it is going to cause it to go up even faster. So, you've been out adventuring for the last couple of hours and you're not ready to call the playing sessions quits, you want to head out again, and do the same type of thing... best thing you can do in order to recover quickly is to stop in, take a quick rest at the inn, 3 or 4 minutes to sleep, head down downstairs to the common room, play some games, listen to some music, do some gossiping, get some food and some drink, and you should be good to go to head out again within about 10 minutes.

29 MAR 17 V-SbS

Getting injured, needing to set a leg, broken bone, something like that. Poisons, venoms, and other things like that. Those all naturally will heal over time. ... Diseases are different in that they do not go away on their own. If you were to contract a disease in the game, then you have to find the cure for it. Otherwise the effects of the disease are permanent. That's one of the few things that are permanent. Disease in general will not kill you, it's not perma-death. But they generally will have some negative effect that are persistent until you find the cure for that.

29 MAR 17 V-SbS

If you fall off a cliff and break your leg, there's going to be some recovery time involved in it. If you get it set and going, then you'll recover much faster than if you were to just leave it and sort of wander off. Sort of the same as the real world. Your arm breaks, you definitely want to get it set. Otherwise you're going to have a funky arm. ... Semi-permanent, but not permanent. ... If you have access to medicines, things like that. Even if your Survival skill is high enough and you can find the right herbs and stuff; you can expedite the healing process. If you're in town, probably going to recover a lot better. You'll have Vitality a lot higher. Things you'll need around you. I think the Vitality is the real risk there. Because if you get injured, you've got to set it to obviously heal it faster... we map it similar to what we would do on Earth. So if it takes 6 weeks or something like that for a bone to set reasonably well in our world, then you can kind of map that over to in-game as well. So if you don't do anything, it could take... If you were to fall off a hill and break a leg, it could take several days with no work being done to fully heal. Where as if you set it, maybe it'd take a day or two. In the meantime you're going to be encumbered, your movements are going to be hindered, things like that. After a day or so you'll recover again from something like that. But, even once it's set, your Vitality is going to be going down faster because you're in pain. And so going out and finding the right berries, and creating any kind of like analgesic or anesthesia type thing, or even alcohol or anything like that, could keep your pain meter down which ultimately makes your Vitality isn't lowering as quickly.

Things below are really old, so take that under consideration

3 NOV 16 V-SbS

There's two types of healing. There's first aid: so bandaging wounds, setting bones, repairing damaged ligaments, and stuff like that. Which is actually under the First-Aid skill. It's one of the Survival skills I think. There is also in addition to that what would essentially be pharmaceutical stuff, development of medicines, through Herbalism. That one causes more long-lasting effects. So diseases, poisons, organic toxins, and stuff like that would all be in there.

Will ordinary people be able to heal themselves fully. or will hospitals and healing play a big part?
23 OCT 16 D-CCR

Everyone "heals", but that's not something you do to yourself. Do you heal yourself in this world?

Do we know if Physician or Healers will be the same as Alchemist or herbalist?
12 OCT 16 D-CCR

No. They will be different, in the way doctors and pharmicists are different.

How in depth will the healing system be? We have to apply detailed treatment based on the wound, or will it be more simplified such as apply bandage or potion medicine?
1 JUN 16 V-BW

It's gonna be more detailed than that. A while back we started working in on how we wanted to handle the inventory system. And you know we saw a stretch goal from us on the like anything becomes a container or the berry model. And that was one of those things we really wanted to get in. It's still a stretch goal, but we anticipate that it's gonna get hit eventually. So we've actually been adapting that system to other things. We've been talking about how we're gonna use that to handle some other systems. And what I mean by that is as far as we know we're gonna be one of the first games to actually support a search system. So for example you come upon a corpse. And instead of you just kind of right-clicking on it to loot it, you can actually like search around the body. Check the pockets, check the boots, check things to see whether or not there's any objects that might be hidden there. And we're looking to use the same system for the healing mechanic as well. So I actually had one of my designers, Death, submit to me a screenshot he's been working on. And it's just a mock-up, I want to be clear this screenshot is a previous screenshot, the UI on top of that is actually what he's been working on. But it kind of gives you a little bit more information about the UI style that we're looking for. Kind of going for a minimal approach except when interacting with certain objects. But also you can see here he shows what kind of damage the person might have taken previously which can then go into like searching if there's a wound and healing it, that sort of thing. ... Some things I wanted to point out is that in this illustration, again, this is a mock-up, this is not a screenshot, it's an overlay on top of a previous screenshot. What this is showing is he is currently examining a table. You can see from the left hand side, that is not actually the table ... this is an overlay. If you're examining something, you'd see an up-close 3-D model of that. You learn more about it like the material quality was, or if it has a mark on it and you recognize the mark telling you who it was crafted by. You can see over top of your character, your health and your Vitality and energy. You also have at the bottom of the screen what your hands can do and if you have objects in your hands and it would change relative to that. So you'll be able to see if I have a torch in my hand and I approach another torch, then that would show that I can light the torch on the wall using the torch in my hand, that sort of thing. I've got a little bit of minimal UI up in the top right hand corner. And then what I really wanted to show with this screenshot is the right hand side. You can see that he has this character kind of visible paper doll on the screen and it shows his health and Vitality bar. But more than that it shows areas of injury. So you can see that he's currently suffering some kind of internal head injury as well as there's either a broken or something else on his leg. What it shows is that what we're trying to do with this is allow through combat or through other things, damage to different areas of the body. As well as poison, one of the things he doesn't have yet, but the idea is if you get poisoned or something and you actually see an image of the circulatory system there to show that you're pumping bad blood or you know something like that. So we really want to show people what the status effect is and then allow them through the healing experience through searching the body and identifying things kind of what the problems are and then do that sort of surgical mode thing.

What buffs will bardic music provide?
22 MAR 16 V-BW

They can actually provide a couple different ones, but the idea is that, at the very least, your Vitality is recovered by having a bard around. In a pub or a tavern or inn or something like that. If a bard is performing, it’ll replenish your Vitality faster than without it. But there’s also different morale-based bonuses, temporary increase of Vitality, increased energy, heightened strength, heightened endurance. There’s a couple things you can do with it. We’re still working on all of the details.

Is this a potion-popping game?
16 FEB 16 V-BW

There’s definitely the need to get access to healing stuff.

Healing potions?
16 FEB 16 V-BW

More like flasks. Probably not potions. We’re on the line between T and M at this point. Let’s just say, you can drink things in order to hurt less. Remedies.

How will healing be handled in COE, will there be herbalism to give a player a little extra Vitality and/or stamina?
26 JAN 16 V-BW

Yes. Kinda the underlying question there to is about magic, it was implied but not expressed. But you can pretty much assume there’s no magic in this world, it’s extremely rare so anything like healing it’s going to be a mundane solution for. We do have a kind of first-aid medicinal skill tree that would allow you to do things like create polticies and do healing and you know, there is this collaboration between some of the skill sets. So like pharmacology and the ability to create medicines using a pestle and mortar that can help you fight off diseases or any kind of ailments you may have.

4/21/2019 8:49:55 AM #3

Posted By zimmah at 01:55 AM - Sat Apr 20 2019

It’s like being a medical “doctor” or whatever they were called back then.

Using herbs, leeches and many questionable techniques.

Magical healing is rumored to exist, but of course rare (if it even exists) and probably nothing like other MMOs.

Generally they were referred to as Physicians, or sometimes Surgeons. However, I do agree that the more "questionable" methods will be used at first for, as flawed as they were, they led to the important discoveries we have made thus far IRL.

4/21/2019 8:51:52 AM #4

Also Protey, Though i am not going to quote your post as that is a lot of information that is exactly what i was looking for thank you. That is very comprehensive from what ive seen and i hope to build on it myself as i go through the posts, dev journals, and posted videos myself. Thank you very much!

4/21/2019 8:58:04 AM #5

Now with the raw information comes the digestion of data and insight! Please feel free to post your insights here along with any data you or others have uncovered. Data is useless without interpretation, and there is no better time than pre-game for speculation!