COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Weather and Natural Disasters

I remember reading that the game will have weather patterns and even local weather differences as well. But the wiki doesn't go into detail about it. How severe can the weather get? Can a storm or a blizzard be so bad that it's pretty much suicide to venture outside? Will we see the weather get so bad that it'll be equivalent to a hurricane or major storms? Can the weather to and damage the buildings?

And on that vein, will the game also have natural disasters. Volcano's, Elyriaquakes, tornado's? What about things like wild fires and forest fires that will burn a whole swatch of land if we can't get it under control?

Just a random musing I had earlier.

4/20/2019 11:37:31 PM #1

20 SEP 18 D-CCR

Yeah, it will snow in grasslands in most places. I can't say it will snow in all grasslands everywhere, because there will be localized weather patterns in the game, but generally speaking the conditions that define a grassland include the likelihood of snow in winter in most cases.

was looking at the weather thing and saw the snow builds up on the fence lines does that mean we have to shovel it or our animals can escape?
3 JUL 18 D-CCR

At the moment you don't have to shovel, but I wouldn't rule it out, especially under specific weather conditions like a blizzard.

25 MAY 18 D-CCR

Forest fires can begin from lightning strikes or similar natural events. But you cannot start a forest fire with a torch. The torch simply burns out rather than spreading the fire.

will geology play a factor in castles? E.g. earthquake prone areas favor Japanese style, or will everywhere be stable permitting more Norman style? I get that the materials will be biome linked ... but beyond the weather?
10 MAY 18 D-CCR

Well local biomes dictate how your structures weather and age and an earthquake likely would wreck your stuff if you didn't build with it in mind, but technically speaking you can build any structure anywhere the terrain allows it, so you can build a norman castle in a place where maybe you shouldn't.

How well will structures weather?
10 APR 18 D-CCR

It depends on the structures and what they're subjected to. A shack in the jungle might actually last a really long time if it happens to avoid major weather events or other catastrophies, but that same shack set at the crest of a mountain pass where it's constantly hammered by cold wind and ice won't last long at all without work.

14 FEB 18 D-CCR

There will be weather, including things like storms, in CoE

Below is very old, but:

11 JAN 16 V-BW

There’s obviously a lot of different food supplies, while things can become extinct, they generally become no longer available in an area. It is still possible for something to become extinct, but the players would have to try hard to hunt it down all over the world in order to eliminate it, like everything in this world it’s possible but we also want to make sure it’s extremely difficult to do that. The corollary to that is players can also breed them, they can take samples of them, go out Noah’s ark and grab 2 of each thing and set their own little farms and breed them and create new versions of them, and as long as those private farms exist and people are trying to preserve the specifics in a reserve like that, it virtually guarantees there can be incidents like that, that can be repopulated in certain places. But yeah, ultimately the question you have is are we planning to interfere if players tend to hunt things to extinction. Not at first, we’ll let them do it, maybe once, maybe twice. Until it looks like the server is getting to a point the server is unsustainable and there is no food and the whole population is gonna die, they’re gonna all become coup de grace’d because there’s no food in the world. But when it looks imminent it’s going to happen then we’ll have to interject in the world and do some cataclysmic event that will shift the story that would no longer be the focus.

So all of a sudden everybody here has new motivation to bring the world to the breaking point, a cataclysmic event that sounds exciting.
11 JAN 16 V-BW

You know what, they’re going to have enough of those I think anyways that people aren’t going to have to try for that.

17 NOV 15 V-BW

We have said there are volcanoes and other things, so while I say that river-bed there’s no more metals there, it should probably be said without important world events in the story and other cataclysmic type events happening that is probably true. But you know, volcanic eruptions and stuff like that, could always be used to reseed resources in an area.

4/21/2019 1:05:41 AM #2

I am personally holding out for a tsunami!! That would be awesome! But I don't think the engine can handle it due to water tables, etc. -- I'd love to be wrong though. :)

4/22/2019 1:36:53 PM #3

I've always been a sucker for weather effects. Flash Floods, Thunderstorms and blizzards that can actually kill players would be something new to me in an MMO, but I would love it if it was actually possible in this game. Sure running through a rain shower wouldn't do much to you other then get you wet, but imagine running through a thunderstorm and having to actually worry about getting struck by lightening. I always thought that the devs could use natural disasters as a way to shove some needed resources back into the world. A Volcano erupts and spews new ores into the surrounding area. Stuff like that. Also think about people knowing it happened and armies go out to claim those resources. ohhh the battles that could happen.

I have a Rocket Launcher. Your Argument is Invalid.

4/22/2019 4:30:03 PM #4

Posted By Ironside at 8:05 PM - Sat Apr 20 2019

I am personally holding out for a tsunami!! That would be awesome! But I don't think the engine can handle it due to water tables, etc. -- I'd love to be wrong though. :)

I don’t think a tsunami in game would necessarily have to care about water tables. It’s just a temporary wave of destruction.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

4/26/2019 8:07:45 AM #5

Well, I think the most cataclysmic events (like strong earthquakes, etc) can be discarded as they are highly disruptive for gameplay, difficult to implement and, most importantly, not necessarily fit the geology chosen during the map selection