COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Lumberjacks/lumbermills

Pretty sure I haven't seen this answer but I'm probably being a n00b tbh.

So I was wondering, when cutting down a tree do you automatically get the wood, or do you end up with a cut down tree that you have to segment, cart to a lumber mill and then carve up into planks/beams?

4/21/2019 10:37:23 AM #1

http://coeqa.diegobao.info/question/5776550c3310296adc58ea85

I’m not going to walk through it end-to-end, but the process is creating the individual resources, cutting down the lumber planning them into individual boards, taking those boards to construct the framing pieces, take the framing pieces in order to create walls and ultimately taking those walls and using them to actualise the blueprint you’ve laid down. So it’s going to take time as you have to gather all the resources and each of the individual components need to be made.

It’s not going to be in your inventory either so as you make them you’re probably going to be leaving them all around the property for other people can come in help you construct that. You know houses are designed to be a multi-person endeavour not something you’re going to be doing by yourself, and in terms of how long it’s going to take. It depends on the size of the structure. I expect it would take about as long as it would in our world.

If a house takes 8 months to build, then realistically it’s going to take you about that long in-game as well. You’re probably not going to be doing it 24/7 obviously, but if you spend a couple of hours of play, per day, in the course of a week then maybe 3-days to build a reasonably sized house. Longer if you’re trying to build an epic castle or something like that.

CoE sometimes gives up realism when it doesn't add to the game, but in this case it seems they are definitely preferring to add the realism factor :P You should have to account for all parts of the lumber process, although to be fair I think a lot of early woodcraft was done on site with hand tools, to include roofing shakes and planing large beams. Cutting into boards would likely require a mill though

Edit Poldano has a good point, cutting boards could likely be done on site too. I think I was overcomplicating the idea of a large saw in my head :D

4/21/2019 11:05:05 AM #2

There was also a post of video where snipe explained how when you mine you don't just get ore, they want you to process it and remove the ore from the rock. Then melt down the actual pieces of ore to make the bar. I will see if I can find it but I think cutting down trees would have to be process as a well.

4/21/2019 1:17:29 PM #3

Everything they have said up until now points towards the need to transport raw sections of wood to the location where further processing would be done (the mill) and then transporting the product to the location where it will be used.

How much of your time it will take to set up each of the parts of the process of preparing the wood for travel, transporting it, unloading, etc, is not clear, but the fact that it will need to be done in steps at different locations fits directly into the COE model.

Countess DeBrume, Brume Harrow, Blackthorn Vale, Mytharbor, Free Kingdom of Alesia (NA-E)

4/21/2019 1:31:36 PM #4

I knew the info would be around, Thank you everyone that answered

4/22/2019 7:56:24 AM #5

Posted By Labbe at 03:37 AM - Sun Apr 21 2019

... Cutting into boards would likely require a mill though

I've seen hand saws being used to cut trees into boards on some of the wilderness-homesteading-themed cable reality shows. Mills are better and faster, of course, but not always affordable.