COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Strength of Spirit

In the Janoa bio it states:

"the Janoa believe that killing and consuming another creature causes it to become a part of oneself; that the hunter will inherit some part of its spirit and attributes."

And considering that the thing that drives you ever closer to permenant death is the degradation of your spirit whether through death, age, or etc, would it be beyond the realm of possibility for those beliefs to ring true? As in, the inheritance of a creatures spirit may actually serve to strengthen the spirit of the Janoa, potentially extending lifespan.

If Janoa have dedicated their lives to The Hunt for so long, maybe they are onto something.

4/21/2019 4:39:28 PM #1

It’s an interesting theory, and I think all Elyrian religions have some truth to it, but I don’t think they will actually increase their lifespan, as they’re no vampires.

Maybe they can get certain attributes though.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

8/24/2019 12:39:03 PM #2

In native American folklore, a wendigo is a mann who was cursed with eternal hunger, life and a monstrous appearance after devouring the flesh of another upon sacred land. Could it also be true for janoan Cannibals? I feel like this hint may have been in the direction of something similar.

" you underestimate my stupidity "

-runs through minefield-

8/25/2019 4:31:27 AM #3

Janoa are not cannibals (according to lore, at least). They believe they absorb the spirits of the animals that they hunt and kill.

8/25/2019 5:09:43 AM #4

When it comes to defeating things (ie not killing them), they don't outright "consume/absorb" the spirit, but it is a way of refining their own spirits, 'as a blacksmith would refine iron with a hammer'

This is why they hold contests of strength and the like.

8/26/2019 11:10:31 AM #5

Posted By Poldano at 05:31 AM - Sun Aug 25 2019

Janoa are not cannibals (according to lore, at least). They believe they absorb the spirits of the animals that they hunt and kill.

I didn’t think that they were, but i do think that the devs have made a nod towards the wendigo’s effect, where it becomes a more intelligent being from the hunt, but loses humannity from the consumption of mann.

When I’m not massively reading into this, i think that the most likely explanation of this is increased skill ramps in hunting/combat/survival for Janoa, where each victory (as Yenyang4 has said) “refines” the Janoa’s spirit/skill level. This is however, just my opinion. Either way, it will still be an interesting feature!

" you underestimate my stupidity "

-runs through minefield-

8/27/2019 4:09:29 AM #6

oh, those are hungry ghosts?

6D242B

8/27/2019 4:13:31 AM #7

is not just those peoples beliefs, it is also all those people and their dogs out their shooting birds and deer and stuff.

6D242B

8/28/2019 7:25:13 AM #8

Wendigo

It's certainly a possible kind of monster, but I am skeptical that it could be a player-controlled character.

8/28/2019 10:15:36 AM #9

Cannibalism is also not a thing that will be implemented if i recall correctly