COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Pushing Back the Upcoming Ducal Pick Window

Salutations Elyrians,

Though we stand on the verge of the ducal pick time, I come bearing news. Due to a variety of internal and external factors, the start of the ducal pick period is being delayed by one week. Dukes and duchesses will begin to pick their domains on the 13th of May, rather than the 6th of May. This means that counts and mayors will also begin their process a week later than originally planned. However, independent of your start date, your pick window will be at the same time of day. Likewise, any effort you've made to push your pick time forward is still valid and preserved. Though you will start a week later, your position relative to other members of your peer group will remain the same.

As I'm sure you can imagine, this is not a decision we've come to lightly. Those following along are probably already aware of some of the challenges that we've faced as the Domain and Settlement Selection process began and moved through its first week: we've dealt with technical challenges from the terabytes of data that represent the maps, online attacks against the site itself meant to interfere with your ability to choose your domains, and unexpected, although exciting developments within the server communities. Moving through the week we've rolled with the punches, putting more powerful hardware into the map preparation processes, fighting the DDoS attacks, and counseling monarchs and others affected by the kingdom picks. However, despite our best efforts, they simply weren't enough to keep the process on track.

In theory, we could open the site later this week, but we would be doing so knowing there is little time to comprehensively test the integration of the myriad elements that are still coming together even today. And we would be robbing the monarchs the time they need to pick their own crown duchies while, at the same time, giving the dukes and duchesses of Elyria a shorter time frame to make their own picks. It's better, we believe, to to take the extra care necessary to ensure we can test everything thoroughly, even at the cost of delaying something we know you're all hotly anticipating. You deserve the best possible experience, so we're asking for your patience as we take the time necessary to roll out a selection process that is as feature & information rich and as stable as you need it to be. We must commit to "quality first," even when it forces us to miss a date we've already publicized.

So, effective immediately, the start date for the ducal pick window will now be May 13th, 2019, causing each subsequent phase to be pushed back by 1 week. We will not be altering the pick orders, and pick times will still be at the same time of day, just one week later. We understand that many of you have altered plans to be ready for your pick time, and this delay affects those plans. We will make it up to you. First, by delivering you a quality selection experience. Second, by giving all players who are participating in Domain and Settlement Selection a small gift, to be found in your inventory after Domain and Settlement Selection ends, along with the in-game title "The Patient" for you to use on your character.

As a final note: This decision will also delay the start of our annual Kickstarterversary event. We feel it is extremely important that the Domain and Settlement Selection process resumes and the maps of your Elyria are in your hands before a new event or promotion begins.

Thank you for your time, and your understanding,

Vye and the Soulbound Studios team

... ...
5/6/2019 4:54:12 AM #61

feelsbadman

5/6/2019 5:14:10 AM #62

I agree and have tweeted to Soulbound Studios in the past. Complete everything!!! Then give a release notice knowing that everything is already done. Then when that date arrives things will go smoothly. If it isn't ready for me to use when you say it will be ready for me to use. Then I don't want to know. Information about game systems is different than access dates. Keep it close to your chest until you know that it has been done PLEASE!!!!

5/6/2019 5:15:56 AM #63

Many players would rather they keep quiet about release dates if it isn't completed. Game stuff tell us about it. But "you can try it on this day...no you can't" is not a good look.

5/6/2019 5:19:38 AM #64

Posted By Hieronymus at 7:22 PM - Sun May 05 2019

Posted By Marovec at 7:10 PM - Sun May 05 2019

Only one week, eh?

Not "We are delaying it until it is done and tested?"

I don't disagree, but so long as they're willing to push it back if it's not fully functional and fully tested, then we can just view this as a target date. It makes no difference in the end, does it? I'm relieved that they did not forge ahead with a broken system just to hit a date.

It does make a difference, it hurts their public image, which hurts sales, which hurts their wallet, which slows development.

Posted By Dyrnwyn at 8:22 PM - Sun May 05 2019

"They" do not speak for all. SBS has continued to deliver quality, and I not only appreciate it but prefer it. SBS does not need to apologize for doing their job which includes troubleshooting and adjusting development deadlines.

Making decisions about deadlines and evaluating realistic estimates is part of the creative process during game development. Any other game only needs to make one deadline (when they are comfortable announcing it)--Launch Date. They do not involve the community in any part of the development before Launch.

As part of realistic creative development, players should be reasonable not antagonistic. I will be ignoring the irrational rants and demands.

Quite frankly, the duchies and counties have enough information to pick right now. It doesn't matter that the map isn't complete in every detail. The allotments are not the same size nor will have the same resources, but we know what tribes and biomes they are in and what approximately they may have. Demanding more than that is what is slowing down the process.

The county lines aren’t even drawn, how the hell do counties pick when there aren’t even counties drawn on the map? Let alone having any information about demographics and resources? Not to mention settlements, roads and waterways.

We have nowhere near enough information to pick our domains.

Also, no one said SbS needed to set deadlines, in fact, most of us keep telling SbS that they should only mention deadlines for products that are already finished or close to finished (in testing stage basically). That way they don’t need to miss deadlines.

We want SbS to succeed, but they won’t succeed if they don’t learn from their mistakes. And just closing your eyes to mistakes is not helpful at all. Accept the fact that you made a mistake, learn from it and adapt. That’s the only way you actually get something good out of it. If you keep denying that you make mistakes you will only keep shooting your self in the foot forever. Admitting fault can be painful, but it’s necessary.

It’s funny how a peasant like you is complaining that we counts and dukes should not “slow down” DSS by picking with limited information, even though it is not our fault the maps are delayed, and there is absolutely no rush to pick a domain, it’s not like the game will be released later just because we pick a domain later. And at the same time you complain that we are impatient.

We should not be forced to pick before we get the information we were promised.

Posted By Riptose at 9:23 PM - Sun May 05 2019

Will there be a new batch of forum email going out to confirm the dates? cause a week mean 7 days and that would push me from Tuesday to a Monday! or does the day of the week stay the same?

What the fuck? How does your calendar work? A week has 7 days dude, everything will be the same, same day, same time, same position in queue, just exactly 1 week later.

Posted By MilevanFaent at 11:42 PM - Sun May 05 2019

To all the guys complaining about another delay, as I'm sure there are a few, they were DDoSed several times, and had a bunch of other EXTERNAL problems that delayed things. You literally can't say shit about this not being ready on time when they didn't even have control over that. It's also entirely stupid to expect a studio to have something ready over a month before they expect it to actually go out, as it is all but impossible to get anywhere CLOSE to that accurately predicting when a product will be done or when it needs to be done. This kind of shit is NORMAL, it's just SBS is actually TELLING you rather than keeping quiet on all the stuff they're working on, which to me is a huge improvement on the process as it lets us see what is actually happening rather than sitting with a year of nothing happening, even though tons happened.

DDoS is unfortunate, but a DDoS alone shouldn’t delay something by a full month (or more depending on how you count). Also, the maps aren’t being rendered on the website, so the DDoS should have nothing to do with the delay (tests should be run on internal servers, maps are rendered on servers unrelated to their website, not even owned by SbS).

Also, all of that is irrelevant because SbS shouldn’t have given us any dates in the first place, never give a date to a product that isn’t even close to being finished

For extra clarity:

do not post dates to things that still need to be developed.

only give dates to things that are basically done and in final stages of testing. Or to which at least a minimum viable product exists.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

5/6/2019 5:44:51 AM #65

This doesn't directly effect me but getting it right is correct decision.

What isn't right is constantly missing deadlines you publicly announce. It does you and the game no favors in terms of public image.

Like plenty of others have said, at this point just don't announce stuff till its ready to go or so close that it makes no difference.

5/6/2019 6:04:43 AM #66

So, am I correct in thinking the delay is with the information and selection tool(s), but the underlying graphical assets of the maps themselves are complete?

IMO, y'all should consider giving us a peek at the maps via PDF. They wouldn't need all the details, but at least enough so we can see the county lines and major rivers, roads, and settlement locations. Maybe rolled them out piecemeal for each kingdom, relative to the IP of each monarch? Would give the communities something else to talk about, at least.

The Brudvir Countess Mysi Karuna, of Wainswey County is devoted to woodworking and trading in Elyria. Settled in the interior of Ravencrest Duchy in Aranor, NA-W. https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/611425821038477312/624003537826742282/Wainswey_County-banner-3.png

5/6/2019 6:07:24 AM #67

Take Your time. We are not in a hurry, one week more or less doesn't matter. Do and test it properly before going live! Just complete things first next time before announcing them! And probably take a week in between each selection cycle to be able to react to unforseen events!

Life is too short to play bad games.

5/6/2019 7:17:03 AM #68

After you guys got that "Game with the most stormy future" award that should have been enough not to give them anymore fuel. Most mmo sites have nothing good to say about you guys. If it was a single player game I wouldn't care but CoE does need a population to function and missing dates and having people see your community saying "Stop doing this." doesn't look well.

5/6/2019 7:25:39 AM #69

Posted By Ser Long at 01:09 AM - Mon May 06 2019

You pushed it back 5 MONTHS "due to holidays". Now you have to push it back AGAIN! Why are we funding you?

^this. They are lying to us about the whole development.

EU - Server >Friend Code: 72983B

5/6/2019 7:56:31 AM #70

Posted By Costanius at 5/6/2019 6:07:24 AM

Take Your time. We are not in a hurry, one week more or less doesn't matter. Do and test it properly before going live! Just complete things first next time before announcing them! And probably take a week in between each selection cycle to be able to react to unforseen events!

It's not the delay that has people het up, its another missed target.

All it would take is to finish the map generation before they actually announce DSS.

Then you know announce and hit a target. I mean everyone would be shocked they hit a target but in a good way. Then all those negative comments on mmorpg sites don't appear. So this 4 or 5 times and the community I buoyant and spend more money, outsiders gain confidence and spend money and the game gets made...

5/6/2019 8:01:23 AM #71

Everybody relax!

This is the first time in MMO history a company have ever tried something like this.

Ofcourse SBS themselves will have to hit every roadblock there is, since there is no giude to follow. If this was easy, we would have seen it long time ago from some other major MMO companies.

5/6/2019 8:03:39 AM #72

Again, it's not the hitting the road blocks that has people bothered.

Work in DSS, get it to 90%, announce it, release on time. It's not hard

5/6/2019 8:09:06 AM #73

I wish I could plus one this comment.

5/6/2019 8:38:10 AM #74

Posted By MilevanFaent at 12:42 AM - Mon May 06 2019

To all the guys complaining about another delay, as I'm sure there are a few, they were DDoSed several times, and had a bunch of other EXTERNAL problems that delayed things. You literally can't say shit about this not being ready on time when they didn't even have control over that. It's also entirely stupid to expect a studio to have something ready over a month before they expect it to actually go out, as it is all but impossible to get anywhere CLOSE to that accurately predicting when a product will be done or when it needs to be done. This kind of shit is NORMAL, it's just SBS is actually TELLING you rather than keeping quiet on all the stuff they're working on, which to me is a huge improvement on the process as it lets us see what is actually happening rather than sitting with a year of nothing happening, even though tons happened.

Just wanted to point out a few things.

"To all the guys complaining about another delay, as I'm sure there are a few, they were DDoSed several times, and had a bunch of other EXTERNAL problems that delayed things. You literally can't say shit about this not being ready on time when they didn't even have control over that"

-Great reasons why they should stop giving out dates until the product is done and tested. I mean "something" pretty much happens EVERY time they try to release something. Which is a bit strange in itself. At some point it starts sounding like "the dog ate my homework." Yes, they do have control over that. Stop pre-announcing things before they are done.

" It's also entirely stupid to expect a studio to have something ready over a month before they expect it to actually go out,"

-Are you kidding me? And why is that exactly? Have you ever heard of a game going "gold" before? The game goes "Gold" after it is completed and roughly a month before it is released. This is a super common practice and you have never heard of it or think it's stupid?

"as it is all but impossible to get anywhere CLOSE to that accurately predicting when a product will be done or when it needs to be done."

-So what exactly is the point of giving us release dates then? To piss us off? If SBS is NOT expecting to hit the release date, please tell me why they give one?

" rather than sitting with a year of nothing happening, even though tons happened."

I am not trying to be argumentive here but uhm can you explain what exactly these "tons of things that happened" are?

Yes it's true

We have some maps that are of a lesser grade than promised. Maps mind you. Not gameplay. Maps. And they were delayed and downgraded because the ones promised us were too....vexing for them to figure out. Just like these maps are proving to be.

We have a store that works fine.

We have a website thats mostly pretty good but I seem to remember that more was promised of it but I could be wrong on that point.

We have lots of conceptual drawings. And pretty pictures.

We have some mind craft like gifs to gaze at in wonder.

We have a bunch of theory crafting and well-written pieces of things that will be implemented into the game. But seeing they are having tons of problems getting "maps" to work raises doubts in my mind about more complex systems happening.

Did I mention the store?

We have several things that have been started, never completed, pushed way down the road, greatly changed or dropped entirely. Architect tool was promised years ago. Complete store with a lot more things we could buy also.

Various versions of pre-Elyria we have yet to see any of. The the one before this one replaced the one before because just before the release of that one they decided to make it even better. That one replaced the one before because they decided to make the one before even better at the last moment. They invited their friends and family to play the one before this one. Said we would be allowed in shortly. This went on for months before they said they were waiting for more content before they let us in. Then just before we were to be let in, they decided to drop that version because it was taking up too many resources for too little gain. WTF. Did it take them a year to figure that out? Think of all the time and effort wasted on that little project alone. Now, we are supposedly getting a lesser version of the last version I doubt we will.

Let us not forget how Spatial OS was going to save them loads of time and it was the best thing since white rice. Then, suddenly it was dropped. Amazingly once it was dropped,"well, it wasn't all that important anyway and we will be doing all the work ourselves and it won't delay us much. So which was the truth? Spatial was going to save them lots of time or it wasn't that important anyway?

Basic fighting vid was released and is now being redone. We were supposed to have picked are domains back in the beginning of the year and here we are 5 months later and it still dosn't work.

So what exactly is this "tons of stuff" you speak of?

Look, I am not saying they do everything wrong but at some point, you have to realize they are NOT doing this right and stop making up excuses for them when they totally are dropping the ball.

5/6/2019 8:52:26 AM #75

step 1: half ass the most hyped event of the year for a week due to a lack of tool on time.

step 2: commit to answering all King's questions about DSS so they agree with not calling your delay a delay

step 3: delay yet again proclaiming your ideology of never daring to half ass anything and explain it is only delayed because you had to answer all the king's inquiries anyway.

SbS gold! I hope the monarchs (the ones that are left) learned something next time they want to jump on the SbS campaign wagon.

... ...