COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Developer Appreciation Thread

I would just like to take a moment, to thank the devs for all of the hard work that they have been putting into the game over the last few weeks.

Missing deadlines is hard. People get upset, and the stress of that on our devs is surely felt.

I would just like to bring these couple Discord quotes to the front of peoples minds:

alt text

alt text

alt text

The effort, passion and dedication you guys have for this game is admirable, and all the hours you put in are appreciated. Keep it up, and don't let a few harsh words get you down! A missed deadline sucks, but don't let a few critics burn away that passion and drive you bring to this project.

AQBanner

5/6/2019 7:58:01 PM #16

Nothing great was ever created without obstacles.

ayy lmao

5/6/2019 8:04:19 PM #17

I can't wait to tell my professor how passionate and dedicated I am when he asks me why I haven't turned in the project I said I would turn last week, since it was due two weeks ago, and I've known about it for four months now. Should go over well.

5/6/2019 8:07:05 PM #18

Holy crap, apparently you can't even say anything nice about the devs now judging from the downvotes. This is worse than I thought.

5/6/2019 8:58:08 PM #19

Best devs ever 😘😘😘🤗🤗

5/6/2019 8:58:50 PM #20

Posted By mickdude2 at 9:04 PM - Mon May 06 2019

I can't wait to tell my professor how passionate and dedicated I am when he asks me why I haven't turned in the project I said I would turn last week, since it was due two weeks ago, and I've known about it for four months now. Should go over well.

Not for this thread.

5/6/2019 9:18:57 PM #21

Posted By zimmah at 7:13 PM - Mon May 06 2019

If they actually started working at DSS in November/December or even January or February they would have been ready by now, but no, instead they choose to work 7 days a week for several weeks because they decide to do everything in the last minute, and announce a date before they even started work on something.

Sure, I feel for the poor devs working their ass off, but I have no respect for caspian poor management skills. He should have been wiser by now, but he keeps repeating the same mistake over and over and over again.

Lies, you moved the dates not because of the holidays, but because you haven’t even started working on them in the first place. Because if you were ready to deliver them in December then why are they not ready 5 months later after at least 3 weeks of 7 days per week additional work?

So yeah hat off for the devs sacrificing their personal live to try and meet unreasonable deadlines because of the lack of foresight and integrity of one man.

^This explains a lot of things. In my opinion they should focus less on store events and promotions and start doing more towards completing goals and targets. We have delays on maps for DSS which is a major event for community, they should cancel that kickstarter anniversary event and push forward with completing the game or other goals.

Stop asking for money when you cannot deliver content!

EU - Server >Friend Code: 72983B

5/6/2019 9:20:40 PM #22

Posted By Heartagram at 10:18 PM - Mon May 06 2019

Posted By zimmah at 7:13 PM - Mon May 06 2019

If they actually started working at DSS in November/December or even January or February they would have been ready by now, but no, instead they choose to work 7 days a week for several weeks because they decide to do everything in the last minute, and announce a date before they even started work on something.

Sure, I feel for the poor devs working their ass off, but I have no respect for caspian poor management skills. He should have been wiser by now, but he keeps repeating the same mistake over and over and over again.

Lies, you moved the dates not because of the holidays, but because you haven’t even started working on them in the first place. Because if you were ready to deliver them in December then why are they not ready 5 months later after at least 3 weeks of 7 days per week additional work?

So yeah hat off for the devs sacrificing their personal live to try and meet unreasonable deadlines because of the lack of foresight and integrity of one man.

^This explains a lot of things. In my opinion they should focus less on store events and promotions and start doing more towards completing goals and targets. We have delays on maps for DSS which is a major event for community, they should cancel that kickstarter anniversary event and push forward with completing the game or other goals.

Stop asking for money when you cannot deliver content!

Different teams do different things.

5/6/2019 9:45:38 PM #23

Yes indeed. Please never mistake constructive criticism as us saying that the developers hard work and effort is for not. Yall work your asses off and it is very much noted and very much appreciated. Most feedback you will see from me and my community, in all honesty, is trying to help the work load not hinder it and make you guys have to work more. We want the devs to be well rested, and invigorated to come into work every day. Not work themselves to the point of burning out.

We are patient and we are very understanding. Life happens :-) . This studio is amazing for everything it is trying to tackle and everything it is trying to bring to the game development community at large. Never forget that. Keep your heads up, but at the same time recognize you are a small and new studio. Growing pains are going to hit, lessons will need to be learned in order to better your processes. Embrace those lessons because they will result in a much better experience for everyone involved and a much better end product.

I genuinely love those folks at the studio that I have had the pleasure to meet, and talk to personally. You are top quality people with your heads and hearts in the right place. Dont let these kinds of set backs detract from who you are as people, but please do let them bring to light potential flaws in the systems and processes and allow for those to be re-worked and fixed for a better tomorrow.

"Pledged to the betterment of the Studio and CoE through realistic, open, honest communication about what players can and will do with the mechanics you give them."

Come follow me on Twitch for CoE News and general hangout stuff n things! https://www.twitch.tv/adamrhyne

5/6/2019 9:49:41 PM #24

Thanks for all you do SBS. Just keep throwing lore at us and I'll be happy forever!

-Wayland Ade'Braeden, Judicator of IronCall, Tritea Duchy of the High Seas.

Friend Code: 2D1330

"The wave returns to the ocean..."

5/6/2019 9:54:27 PM #25

The one reliable thing about SBS is their inability to reach deadlines. We should know that by now. It's an ambitious game with ambitious deadlines. I adore the work of the devs the same way I adore the work of the Star Citizen devs. Support them in their work, and be patient. They are offering a lot more than any MMO has offered to date. This will take a while. This requires SBS to pioneer in new features. A lot of what goes on is "does this work", "will this work", or "can this work". Could SBS just throw up a static image and list off a ton of settlements and say "pick the number you want"? Sure. But they want to give us more freedom and detail than that, and that's awesome.

Dont get me wrong. I'm also super disappointed here. But EA games are all about disappointment and patience for a couple years and then endless fun for 5 times as long. Let's work with the devs here. A few more months of tweaking now could make or break how much fun we have on release. We all know what happens when games get rushed.

5/6/2019 10:10:11 PM #26

SBS... you are all doing great with the quality of development. Images of the low-poly environment look amazing, the concept art and images of actual in-game objects like the Vardo Wagon were awesome!

Sure the deadlines have been an issue, but not everyone ALWAYS meets a deadline. Whether you share it with us or not, I'm sure things happen in house we can't even imagine. With this bunch I'm sure it's for the best we don't know. LOL!

In any case... keep your spirits high learn from the mistakes and try your best to avoid them in the future. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and we will get there.

95% of us love you and will continue to support the vision!

5/6/2019 10:22:59 PM #27

"Same procedure as every Delay". I Think with this sentence, you can summarize what is happening now good. With every Delay that happend, some people will get out their Grave to Flame about the Devs. With every Delay, the one Who follows the Dev defends them. With every Delay, I'm push my head against the next Wall.

Really, what is even more sure then that SBS need more time is the reaction of the community. The Hate Spiral is going more and more down with every delay. People start to complain about "how easy their work is" and that they are bad if they delay. The voices of those who really want to find out what is going on, without conspiracy theories, and want to help is going under the Voices of those who spread Hate and of those who defend SbS.

Am I pissed because of the delay? Yes because I'm impatient. Can I understand the reasoning? Yes. Do I want to hear self claimed experts about their "Perfect opinion"? No. Do I want to hear the same speech about sbs being nice/bad every time? No. Do I want to hear people who just want to spread hate? No.

I just want that we as community work WITH sbs instead of Against or for them.

But regardless of what Mistakes Sbs made and which not, working very much overtime is pretty hard (And no, just because "ItS sTanDaRd" doesn't make it better) and I appreciate the employees of SbS for doing this.

5/6/2019 10:27:26 PM #28

Stopping in to show my support for the whole team. The vision of what you are trying to achieve remains at the top of my list for what I would like to see the genre evolve into.

I don't understand the path you sometimes take to get there, but I 100% support your journey.

Best of luck to you all.

Imgur

5/6/2019 10:28:53 PM #29

Posted By Emery at

alt text

alt text

alt text

This makes my head hurt every time I see something like this. Working 7 days a week for nearly a month is like slavery. I'm not going to be a slave master because I spend some money on an idea a long time ago. Every reasonable person with experience that actually matters knows how hard it is to set something up from ground. I'd give not a single d.n about anything until the event is relased and then just enjoy the proper responses. Just don't go full Bo Andersson, what a s..*show. Give me a proper manual on how to send SBS beer from germany, please.

Riding away with my white horse

5/6/2019 10:46:18 PM #30

When I moved to Silicon Valley about 30 years ago. I was introduced to the concept of "Quality, cost and on-time, pick two." After hundreds of parties, listening to hundreds of top developers talk shop, I think you still only get to pick two.

Software wise SBS works on a shoestring. The vision is amazing. The talent and professionalism looks good.

It's always unfortunate when something doesn't work out but watching SBS respond to this problem just reinforces my view of what a great game this is going to be. Mistakes will be made but I'll thrilled to see people making a great game who are excited about their work.